Transparent California

socal78

Do you want to know how much your child's teacher makes? Or any state employee for that matter? It's all available here:
http://transparentcalifornia.com/

I've been browsing this throughout the day, coming away a bit surprised with how much the public school teachers I know made last year. Quite a bit more than I would have guessed.

paperboyNC said:
One of the teachers I know makes $24k/yr per this site

One of my h.s. teacher friends repetitively uses the phrase, "You don't get rich by becoming a teacher." She always speaks of the sacrifices she makes to teach as if she has fallen on the sword for the good of "her kids". As evidenced by this, she still lives at home with her parent despite being 35 and single. Feeling sorry for her, I've offered to make donations to her classroom to ease the undue pain. I figured she must make around 40, tops so it's the least I could do. Nope. Over $70k base pay according to the database.  ??? She also works a summer job elsewhere, adding to her annual income. I'd say that ain't half bad especially for a singleton.

OS said:
Don't teachers forgo Social Security benefits?
Public employees have their own retirement programs (usually CalPERS or something similar).

Plus they have many other benefits which is why you see an additional column on top of their base.

Public employment is actually pretty good if you get into the right position, just very political.

SoCal said:
paperboyNC said:
One of the teachers I know makes $24k/yr per this site

One of my h.s. teacher friends repetitively uses the phrase, "You don't get rich by becoming a teacher." She always speaks of the sacrifices she makes to teach as if she has fallen on the sword for the good of "her kids". As evidenced by this, she still lives at home with her parent despite being 35 and single. Feeling sorry for her, I've offered to make donations to her classroom to ease the undue pain. I figured she must make around 40, tops so it's the least I could do. Nope. Over $70k base pay according to the database.  ??? She also works a summer job elsewhere, adding to her annual income. I'd say that ain't half bad especially for a singleton.

There's no reason for her to be sleeping in her parents home.  Unless she's spending that money going on some expensive vacations.

CalStrs is nice but like Social Security, there's no guarantee it'll be there for your friend when she retires. 

What other benefits does she have besides Spring Break, Summer Break, and Winter Break?

I don't think mid to high 5 figures is that much for teachers.  I want competitive salaries for teachers cuz I want ppl to go into that field and not be dissuaded by low salaries.  Plus, this is the OC, $100k before taxes doesn't go very far.

High 5 figures is actually pretty good for a teacher considering you work 9-10 months out of the year... and not a full 8-hour day (yes... I know there is more work that you take home but there are many jobs that have take home work).

OS said:
I want the smartest, best and brightest teaching my kids.

That means higher pay to attract them but higher standards and more accountability.

Irvine teachers don't get paid much.  Districts with more low-income students and higher crime rates gets more pay.  It's called "battle pay".

WTTCMN said:
Well, I'm not saying $95k is "a lot" or not "deserved".  Just surprised b/c I've seen salary schedules before and $95k is really up there.  She must coach, lead some student org, etc (in addition to her teaching duties) b/c according to this IUSD payscale (NMUSD is similar), in order to make $95k, she would have to be in the far right category in step 26.  And considering she's in her mid 30s, not likely.
http://www.iusd.org/human_resources/documents/1415-CERTSAL_forposting.pdf

I tried to click on the link but it's down.  Upon further examination the entire IUSD.org website is down. 

Who broke it?!

ZeroLot said:
OS said:
I want the smartest, best and brightest teaching my kids.

That means higher pay to attract them but higher standards and more accountability.

Irvine teachers don't get paid much.  Districts with more low-income students and higher crime rates gets more pay.  It's called "battle pay".

South central and east la teachers are the veteran equivalent. LA teachers > irvine teachers. 

I agree, and if teachers are getting higher pay, I don't think I should have to pay for private tutors or Kumon. Growing up, I saw teachers who would stay after school and help tutor kids that needed it for free. Now a days, I hear from other parents that teachers are offering tutoring for $60/hr.

Teachers do contribute 8.3% to CalSTRS, which will increase to 10.3%.

I think the biggest concern is can the teachers live in the community they teach? This would benefit everyone involved.

Yes, teachers seem to have pretty decent health benefits as well.

Whether you think a teacher should get paid more or not we should all make sure the teacher isn't paying for school supplies out of their paycheck. This is the equivalent of someone having to pay for their work office supplies.

Many schools offer some form of free tutoring, but most Irvine parents think they have to pay a private company so they don't fall behind the neighbor.

Careful with the Transparent data, all Districts must post their salary schedules online which is more accurate (but subtract the 8.3% before passing judgement).

Back