Ws Chinese Bistro

There used to be a chinese restaurant called China West in the center on Alton and Harvard that we would go to once in a while. It was sort of in between the very chinese places near either Ranch 99 and the more americanized ones like Chinez and PF Changs. It closed a while back and we wondered what would go in its place.

About 2 months ago, Ws Chinese Bistro opened in the same location... last night we tried it.

The interior is totally different from the previous restaurant... a PF Changs-like interior with dark wood and a combination of modern/ancient chinese asthetics. The private party/karaoke room had been opened up into an upscale bar area complete with flat screen TVs. The bathroom is like a zen retreat (I tend to measure restaurants by their bathrooms).

The comparison to PFC didn't end there... the servers all wore black and ties and the place seemed like a PFC Jr... down to the food. Their menu was a more americanized version (ie no Special Family Dinner @ 14.95 per person).

The prices are in the mid-range but seems normal for most chinese place at about $10-$20 per dish depending on what you order. The food was pretty good and the service was great.

Apparently, this restaurant was started by 3 brothers with middle names that all start with 'W'. So it's not a retirement thing for Bush... heh. They also own another place called China Girl in LA (at least that's what the server told us).

If you have a chance, check it out... the lunch menu looked like they average about $9 per meal.

Edit: Spelling and grammar errors.

That sounds great. I will try it. Thanks for the review. I love <a href="http://www.chinapalacetustin.com/">China Palace</a> in Tustin. It doesn't have any of the ambience at all. But the food is really good, a very good price, and the owners and staff are just so nice and pleasant. I've been going there for about 10 years - even when I lived far away I would still drive to go there. I am glad to know of your recommendation for W's and look forward to visiting. Thanks!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1224542918]That sounds great. I will try it. Thanks for the review. I love <a href="http://www.chinapalacetustin.com/">China Palace</a> in Tustin. It doesn't have any of the ambience at all. But the food is really good, a very good price, and the owners and staff are just so nice and pleasant. I've been going there for about 10 years - even when I lived far away I would still drive to go there. I am glad to know of your recommendation for W's and look forward to visiting. Thanks!</blockquote>

China Palace is an old style Americanized Chinese restaurant, it is the Yang Chow (www.yangchow.com) of Orange County. If you've eaten at So Cal Chinese restaurants before the big influx of Taiwanese in the 1980s, you will find the food and ambiance of China Palace familiar and conforting. Before the 1980s, the Asian community was small in So Cal so Chinese restaurants had to serve food that had cross-over appeal. My favorite Americanized Chinese restaurant is Mandarin Taste in Diamond Bar (23391 Golden Springs Dr, Diamond Bar, CA 91765, (909) 861-1819), they have a inexpensive all you can eat Sunday brunch that will be satisfying to most Americans (lobster, sweet & sour, beef & broccoli, etc). I've been eating a lot lately at Fong Ling Bistro at 1241 S Diamond Bar Blvd, Diamond Bar, CA 91765, (909) 612-1768, it is a nice clean Taiwanese place that should appeal to both Chinese and Americans.

I do not even consider PF Changs to be Chinese food and as far as I know, Paul Fleming has no Chinese blood. That PF Chang uses tomb objects (reproductions) in its decor is appaling and unappealing to native Chinese who find such ambiance to have "yin" (negative/dark) chi.

I also wanted to add that they have a kids menu... I think the chicken nuggets were actually sweet & sour chicken with the sauce on the side.

I like China Palace too... also Jade Palace in North Irvine.

[quote author="momopi" date=1224549320]For "old school" Americanized Chinese food, try Fu Wing Lo in Fountain Valley:

Fu Wing Low

16545 Brookhurst St

Fountain Valley, CA 92708

(714) 839-4481

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fu-wing-low-fountain-valley

Say hello to Kenny (owner), he's pretty old now so be very nice to him. Call ahead if you want Peking duck.

Place hasn't changed much in uh... 20 years?</blockquote>

Fu Wing Low is great. I used to eat there almost every day in the early 1990s as my family had a computer store right next door. Ahh memories. :)

Back