Wood Canyon Elementary School (Aliso Viejo)

i'm starting to look at AV now and i was wondering why wood canyon is ranked so poorly in greatschools.net compared to other AV elementary schools. is the area that feeds into wood canyon, a bad area? any thoughts on AV schools in general would be appreciated too.

greatschools.net rank API

Don Juan Avila Elementary School 9 873

Canyon Vista Elementary School 9 888

Oak Grove Elementary School 8 861

Wood Canyon Elementary School 6 804

[quote author="villagepeople" date=1231575342]i'm starting to look at AV now and i was wondering why wood canyon is ranked so poorly in greatschools.net compared to other AV elementary schools. is the area that feeds into wood canyon, a bad area? any thoughts on AV schools in general would be appreciated too.

Wood Canyon Elementary School 6 804</blockquote>

Keep in mind that greatschools.net is usually rated by very few parents so a few bad reviews and the whole thing is shot. My experience with the school where I teach is that overwhelmingly the reviews were positive but three bad ones from bitter parents of children who weren't successful due to the high academic standards and the overall review went down significantly.

[quote author="tmare" date=1231590948][quote author="villagepeople" date=1231575342]i'm starting to look at AV now and i was wondering why wood canyon is ranked so poorly in greatschools.net compared to other AV elementary schools. is the area that feeds into wood canyon, a bad area? any thoughts on AV schools in general would be appreciated too.

Wood Canyon Elementary School 6 804</blockquote>

Keep in mind that greatschools.net is usually rated by very few parents so a few bad reviews and the whole thing is shot. My experience with the school where I teach is that overwhelmingly the reviews were positive but three bad ones from bitter parents of children who weren't successful due to the high academic standards and the overall review went down significantly.</blockquote>

Although the API has nothing to do with parent rankings, so Wood Canyon definitely would appear to have a lower socio-economic area feeding into it given the disparity between it and those other Capo elems.

i drove by the school and the neighborhood this past weekend. there is a sign in the parking lot that says the school is a "california distinguished school"... can anyone tell me what that means (i'm assuming it means it's one of the "better" schools... but what criteria does the state use to determine this"). And i guess you can "assume" that the income level area may be less... i mean the houses on my list are on the lower end of the "detached home" pricing for AV.

[quote author="villagepeople" date=1231892113]i drove by the school and the neighborhood this past weekend. there is a sign in the parking lot that says the school is a "california distinguished school"... can anyone tell me what that means (i'm assuming it means it's one of the "better" schools... but what criteria does the state use to determine this"). And i guess you can "assume" that the income level area may be less... i mean the houses on my list are on the lower end of the "detached home" pricing for AV.</blockquote>

"A California Distinguished School is an award given by the California State Board of Education to public schools within the state that best represent exemplary and quality educational programs. Approximately five percent of California schools are awarded this honor each year following a rigorous selection process. Eligibility is based on federal and state criteria including the No Child Left Behind program, Academic Performance Index (API), and Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).

The program was established in 1985 and alternates each year between elementary (even years) and secondary (odd years) schools. The award is valid for four years."

See more info about <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Distinguished_School">California Distinguished Schools at Wikipedia.</a>

BTW: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ribbon_School">A Blue Ribbon School </a>is - a United States government program created to honor schools. The Blue Ribbon award is considered to be the highest honor that an American school can achieve.

Back