Why the GOP is screwed, and how Obama has nothing to fear.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1258526193][quote author="freedomCM" date=1258510875] I read yesterday's NYtimes piece saying they are going after Fiorino next, in favor of chuck Devore. </blockquote>

And, Boxer wins another term.</blockquote>

Thats a given.

The GOP needs to focus on keeping those Big Population States where it has Senators in place.

Its the only way they can keep some power in the Senate.

Idaho 1.5 Million. 2 Republican Senators

Wyoming 500,000 2 Republican Senators

Utah 2.5 Million 2 Republican Senators

Kansas 2.8 Million 2 Republican Senators

Just think if the Senate was based on states population like the House is.

The GOP would be even more toothless than it already is.

Those 8 Senators represent less than 2.5% of this Nations Population. Yet can yeild power over the 97.5%

of the rest of us. Another flaw of our system. Unequal representation and power in the Senate.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1258527974]Those 8 Senators represent less than 2.5% of this Nations Population. Yet can yeild power over the 97.5%

of the rest of us. Another flaw of our system. Unequal representation and power in the Senate.</blockquote>

I agree, let's repeal that pesky 17th Amendment and allow the States themselves to enjoy political representation as originally intended. The "people" have the House of Representatives, they don't need the Senate too. It only leads to mob rule and undue influence by special interests.

(btw, bltserv, in case you were confused... I'm not actually agreeing with you.)

[quote author="Nude" date=1258517285]Calling it a "purity test" is misleading, because fiscally conservative, limited-government Republicans have been told to sit down and shut up since W won the nomination in 2000. This was for the good of the party in 2000, and then the good of the country in 2001, and then again in 2004 and 2008. During that time, we were told by just about everyone that we needed to be more moderate, more centrist, more open to the opposing views... and Republicans consistently lost elections to a Democratic party that was anything but centrist and moderate.

</blockquote>

So you're saying from 2001 to 2008 to today, the Republican have become more centrist?

Forget it, they talked centrist and went hard right.

And before you babble on, I'm a republican, if you can't reach a deal with me, then the party is dead, get used to it.

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1258538002]So you're saying from 2001 to 2008 to today, the Republican have become more centrist?</blockquote>

Absolutely. From 1996, when Bob Dole lost to Clinton until 2008, when McCain lost to Obama, the GOP... the leadership and it's candidates... all moved to the center and became more concerned with remaining in office than in remaining true to the spirit of <em>the Contract with America</em> movement that put them in power. That concern drove them to acts of corruption, to playing patsy for Wall Street, and to silently assenting as George W. Bush derailed the budget plans that were zeroing out the debt. They lost all credibility with the Medicare Drug plan and couldn't even thwart TARP when it mattered because they were afraid to be seen as heartless in the face of a panicky public.

<blockquote>Forget it, they talked centrist and went hard right.</blockquote>

Are you kidding me? Where was the abortion amendment? Where was the federal ban on gay rights? Where was the ban on homosexuals in the military? Forget it. They used those issues to win elections by putting them on ballot measures to guarantee turn-out. But the GOP, especially under George W. Bush, did more to expand the federal government and advance the agenda of the neo-conservative faction, while ignoring the deficit, doubling the National Debt, and increasing the scope of the bureaucracy than any previous administration or combination of Congresses going back to World War Two. Seriously, what party have you been watching for the last 30 years?

<blockquote>And before you babble on, I'm a republican, if you can't reach a deal with me, then the party is dead, get used to it.</blockquote>

Funny, you sound like a disaffected libertarian who registered Independent and is still nursing a grudge. If this is an example of the kind of critical thinking you bring to the party, go buy Palin's book and amuse yourself; the rest of us have work to do.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258541839][quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1258538002]So you're saying from 2001 to 2008 to today, the Republican have become more centrist?</blockquote>

Absolutely. From 1996, when Bob Dole lost to Clinton until 2008, when McCain lost to Obama, the GOP... the leadership and it's candidates... all moved to the center and became more concerned with remaining in office than in remaining true to the spirit of <em>the Contract with America</em> movement that put them in power. That concern drove them to acts of corruption, to playing patsy for Wall Street, and to silently assenting as George W. Bush derailed the budget plans that were zeroing out the debt. They lost all credibility with the Medicare Drug plan and couldn't even thwart TARP when it mattered because they were afraid to be seen as heartless in the face of a panicky public.

<blockquote>Forget it, they talked centrist and went hard right.</blockquote>

Are you kidding me? Where was the abortion amendment? Where was the federal ban on gay rights? Where was the ban on homosexuals in the military?

</blockquote>

Faith based initiatives?

The Mexico CIty Policy on Abortion?

Stem Cell research restrictions?

Euthanasia fights? What was her name? Terri Schviao?

and what do you call the nods to Intelligent Design comparisons for Evolution?

That's right, Religious right.

<blockquote>

Forget it. They used those issues to win elections by putting them on ballot measures to guarantee turn-out. But the GOP, especially under George W. Bush, did more to expand the federal government and advance the agenda of the neo-conservative faction, while ignoring the deficit, doubling the National Debt, and increasing the scope of the bureaucracy than any previous administration or combination of Congresses going back to World War Two. Seriously, what party have you been watching for the last 30 years?

</blockquote>

That doesn't make them centrist. Most NEO-Cons are fundies. As long as they got the above and lip service to their litmus tests, then they charged ahead with big intrusive government and spending. That's the NEO-CON problem, they're just the fringe left with a different and totalitarian world view based lip service to piety.

Back