Where to gt fresh-roasted coffee beans?

trabucodom_IHB

I am looking for a place to get get fresh roasted coffee beans for espresso...somewhere in the Irvine area or south OC. Does anyone roast on location around here?

I know a little about this business.

The stuff that comes from roasters (like Starbucks or Wolfgang Puck) gets done in a huge industrial roaster and trucked in. IMO they are superior to the small batch roasters because they can get more consistancy. I think big producers get an edge here if you can find stuff you like, because it will be the same time after time. Small batch roasters can't get there because they don't do the volume.

If you want some exotic stuff for a gift for somebody who's into exotic stuff (or if you want to drink small batch exotic stuff), I'd suggust Kean in Newport.

http://www.keancoffee.com/

The Deli/Market next door is pretty dialed too.

Well, finding fresh coffee isn't hard, even Whole Foods in Tustin roasts beans, BUT to find stuff you like is another story. If you are die hard you can always roast your own and order the green beans from places like Sweet Marias. The problem I see with small local roasters is that the coffee isn't roasted very often, sometimes it's twice a month and not all varieties are roasted each time. As no vas pointed out, consistency is an issue for the smaller roaster, because many of them aren't REALLY into coffee, it's either a gimmic, marketing, or a nice "showy" item like Whole foods.

I tend to order the espresso beans from places like Intellgentsia's Black Cat espresso blend, Firenze blend from Caffe Darte, and beans from Espresso Vivace. Intelligentsia roasts in Chicago, but they have opened up a coffee shop in Silverlake. The latter two (Caffe Darte and Espresso Vivace) are in seattle. All of them do mail order..

Thanks for the suggestions...I think I will try Kean coffee next time I am in Newport because I'd like to get something local. I did find a place in Laguna Hills today, Javantis coffee, javantis.com...had a cup of espresso, pretty smooth and tasty, very fresh....I bought some fresh beans they roasted on location....1/2 lb...I'll be trying it out tomorrow...I had them grind it for me.

Personally, my experience with the starbucks and other large chains is that they have been inconsistent with freshness...sometimes it is really good, othertimes very disappointing. So I just want to try some locals for something different and see if I like them any better. I haven't tried whole foods but I have tried henry's in mission viejo and I think they may get their coffees from the same supplier...anyway, it was just mediocre the few times I bought there this year....Tullys seems decent ant coffeebean/tea leaf decent too..I guess on par with starbucks but maybe a little more consistent with freshness.

Woah, whoa, whoa. Forget the coffee. Here's a tip.

You want better coffee? Go to Ikea, get a couple of stainless steel containers with airtight lids (glass is OK too) and go buy yourself a grinder. Grind exactly what you need, and put the rest of the unground beans into the container (perferabllly in the freezer). If you aren't grinding your own, you are wasting the freshness of the beans in 12-24 hours or so.

Half of good coffee is your equipment. I don't drink expresso, but my Technivrom Mocha Master is second (only by a whisker) to my $15 french press. I'd rather drink Folgers out of a french press than $30 a pound whatever in a conventional drip machine. I don't know anything about expresso machines, but the grinder is about $15 bucks.

I did a websearch for that technivrom and it looks like a really sweet coffee machine! I am not ready for a serious machine like that yet, but someday...Anyway, I use mostly french press or a moka pot. And I have the burr grinder too...I just figure I'll go through a 1/2lb. pretty quick so I let my laziness get to me and had them grind it:) But I agree, freshly ground is the best!

No Vas, I've heard differently about freezing beans......

<em>That is quite a debatable question. One article recommends freezing beans for no longer than a month, and only if you have purchased a large quantity of coffee that will not be used immediately. To do that you would break up your large quantity into smaller sections. Then wrap those small sections airtight bags. Once you remove them from the freezer you cannot return them. You have to put them in the airtight containers mentioned earlier to be used and stored in a cool, dry place. Other companies, like illy, do not recommend storing your beans in the freezer for any reason.

You can find many different articles and opinions on freezing or not freezing your coffee beans. Here are a couple things to keep in mind: Beans themselves are very hard. When you freeze beans you lock in moisture and stop the chemical process. After you remove those beans from the freezer you would have to let them defrost completely; this may take 4 hours or even more. Take care to avoid moisture buildup on the surface of the beans ? this is called condensation and occurs when warm moist air comes in contact with a cold surface. The moist air looses its ability to hold the moisture and it collects on the cooler surface. Think of the water that collects on the outside of your tall glass of iced coffee (or tea). That water is not leaking from the glass but from the process called condensation. Also, frozen beans are like putting rocks in your grinder and could damage the burrs or motor. The moisture that gets trapped in those frozen beans changes the flavor of your coffee. The change from freezing to room temperature will make the beans become stale quicker because you are increasing temperature. So, in a nutshell ? avoid freezing, but if you do, follow our dos and don?ts and you will preserve freshness.

The next time you buy your coffee beans or ground coffee consider how fast you will use it, where you are going to store it, and when you will have to order it again. It may not be a bad idea to see what kind of airtight ceramic or glass container you can find. If anything, remember this: Fresh is the Best.</em>

And bubblegum is right about Intelligentsia... <a href="http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/retail/silverlake">You might just see me here during a work break</a>

Inteliigentsia is one of the better roasters you can find. A friend of mine, who just moved to ChiTown (at the time, in the late 90s), stumbled on the original location and chatted up the owner. They know their beans, and get special small lots on occasion. A very fine choice to make if you can.

As for the mainstream roasters I like Peets, but some do not like them for various reasons. However, their freshness standards are the best in the biz, and you can ask when the beans were roasted if you go their store. The coffee is a bit much, but the espresso is the best for mainstream. Hopefully you can catch them on the day they are serving Garuda blend over their espresso roast or Italian roast. If you make espresso at home try their Arabian Mocha Java, it used to be one of their espresso choices, but since they have shareholders now they scrapped it due to price. If you like regular coffee, then the Kenyan and Ethiopian is some of the most complex coffees you can find. The only place that has ever had African beans as complex as Peets has been Intelligentsia.

I need to try Kean's coffee now.

Graph.

I have a stainless can that I hold about 4 days worth of coffee (that sits in a cabinet) and the rest stays in the freezer till I get ready to use it, so I agree. There are more than a couple of trains of though on the subject.

The french press is best. Hands down. It's also a lotta work to clean every time I use it compared to the Mochamaster. Plus, I can't make enough coffee for me and the Mrs. without making two batches on the press.

Check out Lamill Coffee Company. It's owned by a family friend--they have a restaurant/coffee bar in the silverlake area of LA. Phenomenal espresso and coffee beans. I have a french press, but that doesn't filter out as much of the cholesterol and other oils. On the flip side it is strong, powerful and delicious. The French Press is a requirement for Monday mornings!

I also bought a great espresso machine on ebay for less than 200 bucks. It is definitely worth your while if you like espresso and cappuccino.

<a href="http://lamillcoffee.com/">Lamill Coffee</a>

LM, I've driven by LAMILL a hundred times but never gone inside. This gives me the perfect reason to finally do so ! I've always admired the storefront...cool looking place.

Foo foo - Like how our Sunday team plays, namely infield :p

[quote author="lendingmaestro" date=1213665564]The food is good too. It's "foo-foo" food, but tasty.</blockquote>

Back