Violin for school lessons where to buy?

I think lot of parents out here have their kids signed up for violin lessons or getting violin lessons in school. We rented the violin last year from IPSF.While it was an OK violin .I think buying a violin for the next two years would be good investment.

The problem is I don't know where to buy and what to look for when buying a violin for a 11 year old.Should we go for a 4/4 size ?

Any recommendations?

My parents bought me a 4/4 when I was in the 4th grade. I played it for about 6 years before switching to the viola. I cant remember where my parents bought the violin from, it was 20 years ago, lol... Im sure you could check out Jim's Music center or even guitar center.

Depends on how fast your kid grows. As they grow, they need a bigger violin. My son had to upsize his instrument every year with the IPSF rentals.

Also, IPSF has a program where you can apply some of your rental costs towards purchasing an intsrument (either the same one, or a brand new one), but the rental has to be continuous (ex. if you keep renting over the summer, can apply it, but not if you stop renting in the summer)

When I go to purchase violin what are the things to look for ?I mean how to tell between a nice and a cheap parts instrument .I am a complete novice in terms of instruments and wouldn't like to go over $300.

[quote author="irvinewestpark" date=1248762258]When I go to purchase violin what are the things to look for ?I mean how to tell between a nice and a cheap parts instrument .I am a complete novice in terms of instruments and wouldn't like to go over $300.</blockquote>

If you still have your IPSF rental sheet, it goes into places to buy from and has warnings too (ex. cheapo Costco instruments don't make the grade).

My husband is a musician and used to work at a instrument store while in college. I know he has spoken highly of <a href="http://www.worldofstrings.net/">World of Strings</a> in Long Beach.

I will post more after I consult with him later.

Sorry, I completely forgot about this. I reconfirmed the World of Strings recommendation. My husband said they are very knowledgeable and wouldn't sell you a bad violin there. He recommended Meisel as a good brand and said to avoid anything made in China. Yamaha is also good for the price.

Back