Ugh... I'm a nerd now, and here is how repay my/any teachers...

graphrix_IHB

<a href="http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/P/cd/d17a/d1710.pdf">Grading Exams: 100, 99, 98,... or A, B, C?</a>

<em>By: Pradeep Dubey and John Geanakoplos

We introduce grading into games of status. Each player chooses effort, producing a stochastic output or score. Utilities depend on the ranking of all the scores. By clustering scores into grades, the ranking is coarsened, and the incentives to work are changed.

We apply games of status to grading exams. Our main conclusion is that if students care primarily about their status (relative rank) in class, they are often best motivated to work not by revealing their exact numerical exam scores (100, 99, ..., 1), but instead by clumping them into coarse categories (A,B,C).

When student abilities are disparate, the optimal absolute grading scheme is always coarse. Furthermore, it awards fewer A?s than there are alpha-quality students, creating small elites. When students are homogeneous, we characterize optimal absolute grading schemes in terms of the stochastic dominance between student performances (when they shirk or work) on subintervals of scores, showing again why coarse grading may be advantageous.

In both the disparate case and the homogeneous case, we prove that absolute grading is better than grading on a curve, provided student scores are independent.</em>

How do you like me now? And be sure to check out some of Dr. Dubey's other works, good stuff I tell you. Is this too much for this section?... Just let me know. I will shut up. I know this is not my place. Foreclosures I get, school and kids... not so much, but this is good stuff, that I agree with.

Hong Kong Schools grade the students by ranking and it does motivate the students to trying hard. No one like to be at 1999. When 2 students have the same score ranking there is a way to settle the tie breaker. Top 200 (10%) have a chance of attending college. Local Universities takes the top 10 and the rest 180 are permitted to apply colleges abroad.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252039607]Hong Kong Schools grade the students by ranking and it does motivate the students to trying hard. When 2 students have the same score ranking there is a way to settle the tie breaker. Top 200 </blockquote>

Kumite?

[quote author="acpme" date=1252042662][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252039607]Hong Kong Schools grade the students by ranking and it does motivate the students to trying hard. When 2 students have the same score ranking there is a way to settle the tie breaker. Top 200 </blockquote>

Kumite?</blockquote>

No.

Paper Scissor Rock.

Back