Tustin Field II

ak

Does anyone have an opinion about Tustin Fields II?  I will be buying here soon and the only thing I don't like are the powerlines.  Everything else about it is great in terms of location (very central) and great Irvine schools.  The prices are also very reasonable compare to newer developments like Woodbury.  Any thoughts???

ak said:
Does anyone have an opinion about Tustin Fields II?  I will be buying here soon and the only thing I don't like are the powerlines.  Everything else about it is great in terms of location (very central) and great Irvine schools.  The prices are also very reasonable compare to newer developments like Woodbury.  Any thoughts???
The price per SF is lower but the Mello Roos is much higher.  I want to say that it is around 1.75%+ on most homes.  I like the location of Columbus Grove and Tustin Fields II, but the Mello Roos is a killer.

I think you are incorrect about the mello roos.  It is only $3,300 in Tustin Field II.  I think you are referring to Columbus Grove which is around $8,000.  I looked into this with a fine tooth comb. 

ak said:
I think you are incorrect about the mello roos.  It is only $3,300 in Tustin Field II.  I think you are referring to Columbus Grove which is around $8,000.  I looked into this with a fine tooth comb. 
What is the purchase price?  Isn't Tustin Fields on the North West corner of Harvard & Warner (Columbus Grove is on the South West corner of Harvard & Warner)?

ak said:
Tustin Field II is surrounded by Jamboree, edinger/irvine center drive, harvard and moffet.  The community is rectangular in shape.
Oh ok, I got a little mixed up.  The high Mello Roos is the Tustin side of Columbus Grove.  Tustin Fields II is across the Moffet from the Tustin side of Columbus Grove.  I never had a buyer that looked to purchase in that area so I'm very familiar with Tustin Fields II's Mello Roos rates.  Sounds like you are closer to 1.5% which puts you on par with Woodbury.  Are you buying a standard sale, REO, or short sale?

Short Sale.  I figure the overall tax rate to be 1.45% vs. 1.65 for woodbury.  The only thing I hate about Columbus Grove and the Tustin Field II developments are the powerlines.  I wish the city just bury these underground.

ak said:
Short Sale.  I figure the overall tax rate to be 1.45% vs. 1.65 for woodbury.  The only thing I hate about Columbus Grove and the Tustin Field II developments are the powerlines.  I wish the city just bury these underground.
Very cool, did the bank/s approve the short sale yet?  If the lender is Wachovia it should be pretty quick (they are the fast ones).  I don't think the city can bury those big power lines (so the price reflects the proximity to them).

not yet approved.  If I become a homeowner, I will start a petition to get the powerlines buried.  It shouldn't be that expensive.  The home price/sf should increase by $100/sf if this happens.  Not a bad ROI. 

Not sure if a petition will be enough to bury those power lines. There is a lot more to think about concerning infrastructure, plausibility, existing underground structures etc etc. That kind of red tape can cost quite a bit and raising home values in that area is probably not very high on the list for Tustin right now (considering they have a huge desert over at Tustin Legacy).

Looks like "ak" started the same topic in two different forums.  Not sure which is correct.  The house has Tustin address but belongs to Irvine School District.

Here's my post from the Irvine Real Estate Thread:

Not sure if they can bury the power lines since they are high voltage lines.  Maybe they can, but probably won't.
But if you are buying a house on Polaris, that is about as far as you can go from the power lines.  However, you are very close to Jamboree, which is almost like a freeway.  If you are backing to Jamboree, the noise will be there day and night.  I looked at 827 Polaris and the noise on Sunday afternoon was too much for me.  I can only imagine how it is during the weekday commute times.  I also looked at a house at 822 Polaris not backing to Jamboree and the sound was noticeably less.

ak said:
not yet approved.  If I become a homeowner, I will start a petition to get the powerlines buried.  It shouldn't be that expensive.  The home price/sf should increase by $100/sf if this happens.  Not a bad ROI. 

I'm not a power engineer, but recall that burying high voltage lines is very expensive.  $1-10M per mile.  How many of your neighbors are going to vote themselves a $100k bill?

If the houses are cheaper, there's always a reason why.  As the old saying goes, you can change your house, but you can't change your neighborhood.

If the power lines bothers you, then it will bother the potential buyers when you are trying to sell your house down the line.  Just don't get into a false hope of burying the lines.  Besides, I think Polaris is far enough from the power lines to deter future buyers.  When I chose not to pursue a house on Polaris, it was because of a freeway like nose from Jamboree, not the power lines.

Back