Troubleshoot tube / valve issue before I get my hands dirty

Adam_IHB

Peter et al.,

Okay, a few mins ago, I was checking the pressure and airing up my tires on a Specialized Tricross. No problems with the front tire as I pumped it to 75psi, but on the rear tire, I was around 60psi when I suddenly heard a small leak. I quickly disconnected the pump and as I jiggle the valve, the air escaped leaving the tire flat nearly instantaneously. What are the likely causes? Hopefully, I'm not looking at replacing whole thing but rather an obvious and easy fix. I won't claim to know a lot about bike maintenance. Thanks for reading.

Ugh! It's hard to tell without actually being there..do you have presta valves (the skinny ones with a screw in the end) or schrader like the ones on your car?

If theyre schrader then pump it up again and press a ballpoint pen into the end to unstick the valve..they sometimes stick in the open position..

Otherwise, change out the Tube...

Sometimes the valve stem can break off from the tube...

If you're unsure how to change the tube let me know..I seem to be doing a lot of that lately, I will do it for you.

Thanks for the offer.

The bike has presta valves, but I don't have a set of tire levers currently to take a closer look. If I suspect the worst, then I'm probably looking at a tear at the base of the valve and therefore unable to patch it up. A respectable rider would probably have a spare tube anyway, so I'll stop off at Rock N' Road tomorrow for a couple of tubes, set of levers, and a pump which will help me avoid the jerky motion that my current portable hand pump causes.

That reminds me, does everyone else shop at Rock N' Road or are there other shops offering a better value?

Performance Bike probably have the best prices, they are in Tustin market place..

Dont skimp on a Track Pump, get a specialized Air pro, I think theyre called, they are awesome! A cheaper one will blow out in no time..

But, by far the best mechanics are at Sand Canyon Cyclery...Cnr Sand Canyon and Irvine center drive....

Back