Transitional Kindergarten

Seems like a great program.  Perfect for my little guy that is a "young 5 year old" (born in Sept).  I even contacted the IUSD about the program.  Unfortunately, they are doing the admission in "phases" over the next three years and my son would not currently qualify.  The administrator even admitted it would have been better to simply do a cutover for the program rather then "phases".

I talked to her about exceptions since my son still fits the definition of a "young 5 year old" and she stated that at this point, he would start in kindergarten and be evaluated to see if he "needs" TK.  I already have evaluations from his current preschool and other programs in the IUSD that recommended this program for my son, but they still seem resistant.

I'm a bit frustrated because its not like we are asking to have him put in a GATE class to get AHEAD of others.  We actually want him to have a solid educational foundation even before kindergarten.  I am going try to escalate a bit to see if I can get an exception for him.  But if anyone has "contacts" in the IUSD, I would appreciate a PM.  Thanks!

What I have heard people do is put their "young" kids in Kindergarten, and then hold them back again for another year in K.

Our school had a pre-K/K combined class so that was basically what happened with ours, he had the same teacher for 2 years. It helped him immensely and based on his school now, I would say he's actually a grade or two ahead of his peers academically.

Read outliers and you'll hold your child back until they're 8.

As proof, there was a documentary or something about a 20ish yr old who successfully completed k-12 in 24 weeks and even hooked up w/ his hot teacher. It was something like Billy or Willy or Chili Madison...look it up.

Good luck with your decision.

irvinehomeowner said:
What I have heard people do is put their "young" kids in Kindergarten, and then hold them back again for another year in K.

That is definitely an option.  But I am just frustrated that they actually have the TK program specifically designed for "young" kids like my son but wont let him in just because of the "phased" bureaucratic approach. 

And in briefly talking to the Adminstrators, it did not seem they were willing/able to be logical/flexible.  If this is a sign of things to come, its going to be a long 18+ years dealing with the IUSD.  ::) 

I think the school suggests it (repeating). Just this morning I was talking to a mom whose boy is repeating K. She was telling that the kid has absolutely no issues academically, but socially he couldn't adjust. So he is back in the same class, in the same RTI group.
I don't know how much of it's proven by research, but I have seen more boys being held back/repeating than girls.

author=irvinehomeowner link=topic=2076.msg28379#msg28379 date=1320858559]

Our school had a pre-K/K combined class so that was basically what happened with ours, he had the same teacher for 2 years. It helped him immensely and based on his school now, I would say he's actually a grade or two ahead of his peers academically.

Moving up: There is a 10 yr old third grader in TUSD. I don't think he is taking advantage of the gift of "three years" though. He is recommended for tutorials.

Cubic Zirconia said:
I don't think he is making use of the "gift of three years" though.
And that is our issue now.

Because public school classrooms are so big, there is little time/people for individualized learning tracks... esp at the lower grades. So we've gone out and bought 2nd/3rd grade work material to do at home. I give him 3rd grade rated spelling worksheets and also keep him practicing his addition/subtraction and simple multiplication.

It's funny, I was so against this type of homework when my oldest was in first grade but the difference was it was being taught in class, for our youngest he complains that the stuff in school he is doing now he learned in K and I think his boredom is contributing to his restlessness in class.

bearman91 is right... public school has its challenges.

I agree- public school learning does come with challenges.
They don't spend time on teaching addition and subtraction facts, but suddenly they start the daily drills. Same with multiplication, or even Pre-algebra- I have a feeling that the teachers expect the parents to 'teach' and they only 'test' those skills. The classroom sizes and curriculum has grown, but the time to teach/learn hasn't.

irvinehomeowner said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
I don't think he is making use of the "gift of three years" though.
And that is our issue now.

Because public school classrooms are so big, there is little time/people for individualized learning tracks... esp at the lower grades. So we've gone out and bought 2nd/3rd grade work material to do at home. I give him 3rd grade rated spelling worksheets and also keep him practicing his addition/subtraction and simple multiplication.

It's funny, I was so against this type of homework when my oldest was in first grade but the difference was it was being taught in class, for our youngest he complains that the stuff in school he is doing now he learned in K and I think his boredom is contributing to his restlessness in class.

irvinehomeowner said:

IHO, thanks for the upgrade to "91"  :D

But isnt that one of the reasons for living in Irvine, the public schools?!  Or do we have to wait till they can be actually "measured" in high school to get any real value (when they can used as Marketing by the TIC)?

Cubic Zirconia said:
Moving up: There is a 10 yr old third grader in TUSD. I don't think he is taking advantage of the gift of "three years" though. He is recommended for tutorials.

With a screenname like yours, I woulda thunk you'd easily spot a fake. The kid is actually beyond his years. First 7th grade with a license = chick magnet.

Back