Trade secrets in finding good locations.

bkshopr_IHB

Here is a rule of thumb when looking for a home. The closer that you are to Neiman Marcus, Saks 5<sup>th</sup> Ave, and Nordstrom near by real estates hold its value.

No kidding, I have heard wealthy individuals pick up the brochure for Gucci, Chanel, and Neiman Marcus just to look for their location and snap up real estates near by as second home and investment.

Here is a hint: home buyers are not savvy in research so they go on line google a couple of words and found “Irvine Housing Blog”. This is one of the good methods.

The second is to ride on the coat tail of successful up scaled home retailers like Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn. Both of these companies have done extensive marketing, income, and demographic studies and invested in very promising locations. Start there first in finding a home.

The third is look for a place where there are attorneys and surgeons practice near by. Plastic Surgery center and In vitro fertilization clinic are indication of extra disposable income in the neighborhood. Regional and headquarter hospital prevent community erosion. CHOC, St Joseph, Hoag, and Irvine Medical Center are places where government set aside good funding for street and community up keeping. Most doctors and attorneys are compensated highly and long commuting time means money loss. So many lives close by their work. Do not buy a home next to a hospital. several miles away usually are well sought after communities. Resale are extremely good at these locations.

This group tends to have more money but no time. Rule of thumb, individuals with lower pay scale has more time than money so they can afford to lose time in commuting. Inland Empire and Corona fall into that particular demographic.

Before buying into the community check out the type of business near by. They are a good indicator of who lives there.

<p>the major shopping centers with neiman, saks, and nordstrom are south coast plaza, irvine spectrum, fashion island and the block in orange.</p>

<p>bk, i'm curious on what you think of the mission viejo (non-ladera area). homes there are getting hit pretty hard, but the quality of the house isn't that bad (especially near lake mission viejo). </p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>I think you meant the Nordstrom at the Mainplace. The Block developed by the Virginia based Mill Company did not develop both the Block and Ontario Mills nicely. Both places are infested with hood rats. The Saks outlet at the Blocks does not qualify as Sak 5th.</p>

<p>When Mission Viejo started back in the 60's (read my earlier post on Mission Viejo) Bullucks, I magnin, Saks and J W Robinsons were the high end retailers who saw the future there. The demographic has changed and Saks 5th is closed I think. Nordstrom has invested at the Spectrum and eventually will pull out from Mission Viejo. it's lease will be renegotiated in 2010. Mission Viejo did experience a shift in the demographic when Ladera opened and RSM inched closer and Coto' new money tainted the purity of MV's old money image. The swim club is no longer under the old school. It is no longer a Olmpian contender. </p>

<p>MV may have lost some lustre and higher end homes suffer like everywhere else.</p>

<p>MV is still a very nice place to live. It has all the proper ingredients. I do not care for Ladera, RSM and Coto.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What about using Claritas' "<a href="http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegments/Default.jsp?ID=20">You Are Where You Live</a>?"</p>

<p>Warning: May be highly addictive.</p>

<p>Hmm. So projects immediately next to a hospital is not good?....Is it the noise of the ambulance sirens? Or the bio hazard waste?</p>

<p>Thank goodness for the advice. Cause I dropped by and looked around the mid rise condos(Lotus Walk) built by the Olson Homes in Garden Grove, CA. Its right next to the GG Hospital.</p>

<p>Macy bought Bullucks. Macy also bought Robinson may. Robinson Mays bought Broadway. JW Robinson bought May Company. Buffums disappears when all the old ladies died. Ohrbach also died when Buffums disappered. Bullucks took over some of Buffums lease. JC Penney bought JJ Newberry and Woolworth. Montgomery Wards BK and thank god no one bought it. Saks 5th bought Joseph Magnin and I Magnin. Sears and JC Penney are still the 2 oldest survivors from 1800's.</p>

I know the Sears Essential took over K-Mart at Tustin but the K-Mart brand I rarely see anymore. So K-Mart bought Sears and chose not to display its brand.

Do not buy Olson Projects. Olson is an infilled builder. Density without open space and 3 story inefficient structure is its typical formula. Bad construction and poor service call.

bkshopr, just curious - why don't you like RSM or Coto? I can understand you not liking Ladera - I'm with you on that one.

<p>BK -</p>

<p>How are outlet shopping centers viewed? I'm curious because I'm surprised that they're planning one near the "Marblehead on the Coast" development by SunCal .... which is not going to be gated! </p>

Back