The Orange International Street Fair is this weekend..

GraceOMalley_IHB

I dont know if anyone is interested, but here is a link to the City of Oranges' yearly international street fair. My understanding is its primarily food.. <a href="http://orangestreetfair.org/index.php">Orange International Street Fair</a>

i've gone probably at least 15 yrs so i'm starting to get sick of it. food isn't super interesting for those that eat a lot of int'l food already. think of the most stereotypical cuisine from each country and that's what it'll be there.

german street will be bratwurst. mexican st = tacos, burritos, and bratwurst. sometimes theres a stand that makes ceviche. greek = gyros and bratwurst. japanese = teriyaki chicken and bratwurst.

there's some good stuff i always eat every yr like ableskeevers (sp?) from dutch and the greek desserts.

dress comfortable as it gets very hot with all the dense crowds and grills/fryers on top of the labor day wkend weather. plus it can get rowdy (but not in a dangerous sort of way). having said that, we still end up going most yrs pretty much to hang out at the circle and <strong>drink beers of the world</strong>.

won't be going this yr because have another trip planned but definitely worth checking out if you've never gone!

[quote author="acpme" date=1252105974]i've gone probably at least 15 yrs so i'm starting to get sick of it. food isn't super interesting for those that eat a lot of int'l food already. think of the most stereotypical cuisine from each country and that's what it'll be there.

german street will be bratwurst. mexican st = tacos, burritos, and bratwurst. sometimes theres a stand that makes ceviche. greek = gyros and bratwurst. japanese = teriyaki chicken and bratwurst.

there's some good stuff i always eat every yr like ableskeevers (sp?) from dutch and the greek desserts.

dress comfortable as it gets very hot with all the dense crowds and grills/fryers on top of the labor day wkend weather. plus it can get rowdy (but not in a dangerous sort of way). having said that, we still end up going most yrs pretty much to hang out at the circle and <strong>drink beers of the world</strong>.

won't be going this yr because have another trip planned but definitely worth checking out if you've never gone!</blockquote>

Interesting that Bratwurst seems to be present in every ethnic cuisine. :sick: blargle

I've been 4 or 5 times but I'm not sure if we're going this year. We always have fun because my good friends own a house nearby and we start there and stumble to and from the Street Fair. However, I think my tolerance for dense crowds is waning because last year it was out of hand. If you have little kids, go very early in the day.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1252141951]I've been 4 or 5 times but I'm not sure if we're going this year. We always have fun because my good friends own a house nearby and we start there and stumble to and from the Street Fair. However, I think my tolerance for dense crowds is waning because last year it was out of hand. If you have little kids, go very early in the day.</blockquote>

Awesome. Eff that, Im not going at all because 1. Bratwurst sucks no matter which cuisine is pimping it and 2. I hate crowds. Seriously I hate people. Its why I work in technology.

I have gone almost every year my business has been in Orange.

The Circle at its most crowded.

Its may be too hot to enjoy this afternoon. If its 90 out Its 100 on that blacktop.

And the evening crowd tends to get a little too robust for a family fun evening.

Unless your from Santa Ana with a "family" of 20 Teenagers that is.

Going to get a Gyro, Beer, and a Bakliva for lunch and head back to work for a couple more hours.

Might take the GF and her kids tomorrow early if they get out of bed before noon.

They wanted to go this year.

Everybody Enjoy if you do come up to Orange for the Street Fair.

Update:

Not too crowded as its pretty hot out.

Here is the traffic cam on The Orange Circle so you can see for yourself.

<a href="http://www.cityoforange.org/traffic/Plaza_Cam.htm">http://www.cityoforange.org/traffic/Plaza_Cam.htm</a>

Also a good tip is this year Gabbi`s is open. Go in and have a REAL Margarita at the bar.

The Petron Margarita is $ 12.00. But its a hell of a better deal that the Cheesy $ 5.00 Beers at the stands.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1252199687]I have gone almost every year my business has been in Orange.

Its may be too hot to enjoy this afternoon. If its 90 out Its 100 on that blacktop.

And the evening crowd tends to get a little too robust for a family fun evening.

Going to get a Gyro, Beer, and a Bakliva for lunch and head back to work for a couple more hours.

Might take the GF and her kids tomorrow early if they get out of bed before noon.

Update:

<a href="http://www.cityoforange.org/traffic/Plaza_Cam.htm">http://www.cityoforange.org/traffic/Plaza_Cam.htm</a>

Also a good tip is this year Gabbi`s is open. Go in and have a REAL Margarita at the bar.

The Petron Margarita is $ 12.00. But its a hell of a better deal that the Cheesy $ 5.00 Beers at the stands.</blockquote>

We might be headed there for a bit tomorrow, we went to the lovely reptile convention today (lovely is meant facetiously in case you didn't figure that out). I chased two overly stimulated five year olds around for a couple of hours while they looked for the biggest snake and held the poor little feeder mice. I guess the most interesting thing about the trip is that we bought a male and female Madascar Hissing Cockroach and we are going to try to breed them for food for our basilisk (did I really just write that?). Now that I've actually paid money for cockroaches, there really isn't much that that could possibly be different to do this weekend. The Street Fair is not really a great place for little kids, so, if we go, we'll be there before 12 and stay for only a bit. I'm sure that during this time of year the homeowners in downtown Orange are wondering why they bought there, parking is a nightmare and the crowds are horrific.

[quote author="tmare" date=1252243987][quote author="bltserv" date=1252199687]I have gone almost every year my business has been in Orange.

Update:

The Petron Margarita is $ 12.00. But its a hell of a better deal that the Cheesy $ 5.00 Beers at the stands.</blockquote>

We might be headed there for a bit tomorrow, we went to the lovely reptile convention today (lovely is meant facetiously in case you didn't figure that out). I chased two overly stimulated five year olds around for a couple of hours while they looked for the biggest snake and held the poor little feeder mice. I guess the most interesting thing about the trip is that we bought a male and female Madascar Hissing Cockroach and we are going to try to breed them for food for our basilisk (did I really just write that?). Now that I've actually paid money for cockroaches, there really isn't much that that could possibly be different to do this weekend. The Street Fair is not really a great place for little kids, so, if we go, we'll be there before 12 and stay for only a bit. I'm sure that during this time of year the homeowners in downtown Orange are wondering why they bought there, parking is a nightmare and the crowds are horrific.</blockquote>

The cockroaches at the food fair will be free.

[quote author="tmare" date=1252243987]I'm sure that during this time of year the homeowners in downtown Orange are wondering why they bought there, parking is a nightmare and the crowds are horrific</blockquote>Some seemed to be taking it in stride, many having dinner and cocktails on their Craftsman's porch.

Back