The Asian American Pipeline in Figure Skating

Why do so many Asians get into figure skating?  At the skate classes I see when I'm at the rink, it's typically 90% Asian children in the figure skating classes.

Why do so many Asians get into figure skating? At the skate classes I see when I'm at the rink, it's typically 90% Asian children in the figure skating classes.
My daughter is in figure skating although we are not Asian. From chatting with other parents I got an impression there is a belief that this sport gives you higher chance to stand out. The pool is smaller after all as only a few can afford it. It is a lot harder to stand out in soccer, swimming etc as simply way more kids do that. The same way it is easier to stand out in fencing, rowing, horse riding etc as those are very expensive sports yet every college needs kids for all sports. Only small percentage can afford it and many Asians have good incomes. As a result you see them more.

I'd say equestrian sports has much higher barrier. I mean you're up against competitors like Natalie Pai whos mother was trained in dressage since age 4 and her dad is that Enron guy (Lou Pai) who cashed out $270 million before the crash and owned huge horse ranches.

Back