Tabloid Trash

Wow. This was so, I dunno, yesterday. Does anyone care about a washed up ex politician who isn't currently in office and not facing election.

To answer your question, you didn't need to say anything.

Hmmm, every report I have seen on the subject says that John Edwards was a potential Vice Presidential choice this year.

Looking at my clock, is see that the admission of the affair happened today, not yesterday.

Of course when he admitted the affair, he said that it ended in 2006. That doesn't explain what he was doing with the woman ( Rielle Hunter ) he had an affair with in a hotel room in Beverly Hills at 3:00 am in the morning on July 21, 2008.

If also doesn't explain why Rielle Hunter is receiving $15,000 a month from the Edwards campaign.

And it doesn't explain how a campaign aid for Edwards (Andrew Young) who claimed to be the father of the child Rielle Hunter had is living in a $5 million home in Santa Barbara despite the fact that he has no visible means of income.

Edwards had as much chance of getting the VP nod as Gray Davis. He's certainly not a candidate now.

Anyway, it's not like John McCain is squeeky clean when it comes to screwing around on his wife. Wait - he did!

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-divorce11-2008jul11,0,6546861.story">http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-divorce11-2008jul11,0,6546861.story</a>

<blockquote>In his 2002 memoir, "Worth the Fighting For," McCain wrote that he had separated from Carol before he began dating Hensley.

"I spent as much time with Cindy in Washington and Arizona as our jobs would allow," McCain wrote. "I was separated from Carol, but our divorce would not become final until February of 1980."

An examination of court documents tells a different story. McCain did not sue his wife for divorce until Feb. 19, 1980, and he wrote in his court petition that he and his wife had "cohabited" until Jan. 7 of that year -- or for the first nine months of his relationship with Hensley.

Although McCain suggested in his autobiography that months passed between his divorce and remarriage, the divorce was granted April 2, 1980, and he wed Hensley in a private ceremony five weeks later. McCain obtained an Arizona marriage license on March 6, 1980, while still legally married to his first wife.

</blockquote>

But why let something like that influence an election or public opinion.

Hey, just remember - you brought it up.

This is MSM, from WEDNESDAY. I heard about this yesterday. It's old news, particularly if you read the National Enquirer, who was first to break it.

<a href="http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/46637.html">http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/46637.html</a>

Lets consider the National Enquirer breaking this story for a minute. Who cares? Why? Will it save lives? Will it hurt anyone? Should somebody go to jail?

Or most important: Is it any of our business?

Well the Edwards "story" got much more popular press than Russia fighting and invading Georgia yesterday.

If we can just keep focused on the petty piccodillos, instead of the big picture of the world, our dollar will eventually be trading below peso value!

Good work, Morality Scouts, for keeping the focus squarely on the most impactful issues.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1218287611]Edwards had as much chance of getting the VP nod as Gray Davis. He's certainly not a candidate now.</blockquote>

That all depends.

If liberal apologists are able to bury a story as being "so yesterday" even while CNN is airing special programs on the subject, then he can be rehabilitated. While I will agree with anyone that John Edwards is a liar, a hypocrite, and an empty suit who would ruin this country if given a chance to exercise his quest for power, the fact is that until yesterday, he was on the short list of VP picks for Obambi. (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/08/edwards-would-seriously-consider-vp-offer/)

Even though John Edwards only served a single term in the US Senate, he would bring a lot more experience to the ticket than Obambi has.

[quote author="no_vaeline" date=1218287611]But why let something like that influence an election or public opinion.</blockquote>

Because it brings serious questions about his integrity to light.

What was Edwards doing last month alone in the hotel room at 3:00 am of a woman that he had an affair with that supposedly ended 2 years ago?

Why is Edwards paying her $15,000 a month?

Is that $15,000 a month coming from campaign contributions?

What about the $100,000 that he did give her from campaign contributions for producing 4 YouTube videos in 2006? (Sourcehttp://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/08/politics/main4333667.shtml)

[quote author="NoWowway" date=1218304928]Well the Edwards "story" got much more popular press than Russia fighting and invading Georgia yesterday.

If we can just keep focused on the petty piccodillos, instead of the big picture of the world, our dollar will eventually be trading below peso value!

Good work, Morality Scouts, for keeping the focus squarely on the most impactful issues.</blockquote>

You'll have to explain this one to me. I have an MBA with a concentration in Finance, but I am missing your connection.

Which even will drive the dollar below the value of the peso?

Is it the reports of a political scandal?

Russian invading a former Soviet state yesterday?

Or what plays most on the national news?

If any or all three are the cause, how do you explain that the dollar had it's strongest gains in 5 years yesterday?

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1218288169]Or most important: Is it any of our business?</blockquote>

You do realize that using campaign contributions to pay off a mistress isn't legal, don't you?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/08/politics/main4333667.shtml

In 2006, Edwards' political action committee paid $100,000 in a four-month span to a newly formed firm run by Hunter, who directed the production of four Web videos showing Edwards in supposedly candid moments as well as in a public speech talking about morality.

The payments from Edwards' One America Committee to Midline Groove Productions LLC started on July 5, 2006, five days after Hunter incorporated the firm in Delaware.

Midline provided "Website/Internet services," according to reports that Edwards' PAC filed with the Federal Election Commission.

Midline's work product consists of four YouTube videos showing Edwards in informal settings as he prepares to make speeches in Storm Lake, Iowa, and Pittsburgh, as gets ready for a television appearance on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and travels in Uganda in 2006.

[quote author="WINEX" date=1218320284][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1218287611]Edwards had as much chance of getting the VP nod as Gray Davis. He's certainly not a candidate now.</blockquote>

That all depends.</blockquote>

No it doesn't. John Edwards isn't a candiate for anything.

Here's the quote from Nightline Friday Night:

<a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=5544981&page=3">http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=5544981&page=3</a>

<blockquote><em>WOODRUFF: Do you think your political career is completely over?

EDWARDS: I'm not sure I had a political career for the future anyway. I'm not sure that politics was what I wanted to spend my life doing. </em></blockquote>

<blockquote>If liberal apologists are able to bury a story as being "so yesterday" even while CNN is airing special programs on the subject, then he can be rehabilitated. While I will agree with anyone that John Edwards is a liar, a hypocrite, and an empty suit who would ruin this country if given a chance to exercise his quest for power, the fact is that until yesterday, he was on the short list of VP picks for Obambi. (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/08/edwards-would-seriously-consider-vp-offer/)

Even though John Edwards only served a single term in the US Senate, he would bring a lot more experience to the ticket than <em><strong>Obambi</strong></em> has.</blockquote>

An observation - your party candidate isn't your candidate of choice and is getting waxed in the poles and losing 2:1 where the real smart money is <a href="http://www.iasbet.com/Sport/BetTypeContainer.aspx?SportId=33&CompetitionId=19531&BetTypeId=979&FutureFlag=False">at ISAbet</a>. This gives you license to be bitter, but does not give you license to be disrespectful, and you're <u><em>doing it again</em></u>.

It won't matter because based on the "morality test critera" you won't be voting for McCain in the fall anyway.

[quote author="no_vaeline" date=1218287611]But why let something like that influence an election or public opinion.</blockquote>

Because it brings serious questions about his integrity to light.</blockquote>

Did you see the cites I put up about John McCain? Senator McCain is standing election. Senator Edwards is not. Since McCain is absolutely guilty of the malfeasance you accuse Edwards and he is standing for election, who will you vote for this fall?

<blockquote>What was Edwards doing last month alone in the hotel room at 3:00 am of a woman that he had an affair with that supposedly ended 2 years ago?</blockquote>

None of my business. Between Edwards and his wife.

<blockquote>Why is Edwards paying her $15,000 a month?</blockquote>

Don't know. It's not my money. Again, none of my business.

<blockquote>Is that $15,000 a month coming from campaign contributions?</blockquote>

Don't know. None of my business.

<blockquote>What about the $100,000 that he did give her from campaign contributions for producing 4 YouTube videos in 2006? (Sourcehttp://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/08/politics/main4333667.shtml)</blockquote>

Did she do the videos or not? If she did I don't see what the problem is. It's none of my business what Edwards chooses to spend his campaign dollars on.

If this is the best you and the Republicans have come this fall, God help us all.

LOL, why don't you try taking quotes from Edwards when he was on Obabmi's short list of VP candidates? He's obviously a bit shell shocked that he was caught and in the process of rationalizing his behavior. As the reporter from the National Enquirer who broke the story about Edwards with his mistress in the hotel room in Beverly Hills last month said "the truest statement in his confession is that he is a narcissist."

Your attempts at rationalizing the potentially criminal activities of one of the leaders of the Democrat Party are weak. And yes, he is one of the leaders. Not only was he on the short list of candidates for VP, but he was going to have a speech in one of the prime time slots of the convention in Denver later this month. The only thing that derailed it was Edward's narcissism.

Winex,

I was going to respond in a thoughtful manner, take my time and explain my ideas. However, after seeing that you are misspelling obama's name for some reason, I realize that you're not likely to be firing on all burners.

You're right. It's trash for the tabloids. Thanks for sharing.

What a shame! Now I'll never know how the decisions by the popular press on which stories to focus on leads to dollar devaluation.

As for Obambi, just Google the word and you will find 92,500 hits explaining it. Apparently it was coined by Maureen Dowd (or all people!) and it's reflective of his naivety, inexperience, and the widely held belief that he is a little deer.

[quote author="WINEX" date=1217494306]Sorry No_Vaseline, no offense was intended. O-Bambi is meant to convey that he is inexperienced and a "little deer".</blockquote>

Referenced:

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2735/P25/">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2735/P25/</a>

Apparently you do mean offense by the comment, as you continue to use it.

From one MBA grad in Finance to another - enjoy arguing with yourself, since you seem to have all the answers.

No offense was intended. And unless you are Obambi himself, I don't see how you were offended.

If I told you that I was offended by your use of vowels in your posted comment, would you stop using vowels? Or would you just think that I'm a little odd to be offended by such a thing?

Basically the choice of whether or not to be offended by my use of "Obambi" is up to you. No offense was intended to you. Unless, of course, you are Obama. In which case I did mean to offend you.

No_Vas,

There is a difference between being in the process of divorcing your wife and seeing another woman (whom you eventually marry) and having an affair during a marriage that is not ending. Why is it that Dems always want to poo-poo cheating on your spouse when it's their guy, but pillory any Republican for the same offense? Do I think that McCain cheated on his wife in 1979 and that led to a divorce? I don't know what the timing was because no one is talking. He claims one thing in his book, and his court filings show everything happened really fast. But one point is clear... John McCain filed for the divorce, not his wife. If he had been cheating, you would think it had been the other way around and her own history shows that she was more than willing to go that route. Whatever happened, it doesn't change the facts: Edwards cheated on his wife, and then <strong>lied about it to the national media while continuing to see the woman in hotel rooms as recently as last month.</strong> If you don't smell something fishy in that, then you are practicing willful ignorance.

While Edwards isn't currently a candidate, he was running for President up until January 30th of this year. His dropping out gave him some political influence due to his small collection of pledged delegates and he was still involved indirectly in the Dem primaries until May when he endorsed Obama. He was, at least in some camps, being considered for VP if a strategy for the southern states proved viable. Trying to portray him as some washed-up hack is disingenous, at best.

He was, at least in some camps, being considered for VP if a strategy for the southern states proved viable. Trying to portray him as some washed-up hack is disingenous, at best.</blockquote>

Nude,

I have liked some of what Edwards has had to say and I was under the impression that he was still a viable candidate for VP for the democrats. However, when I posted that I thought he had a chance, overwhelmingly, people considered him "done" and a loser. Even in Obama's book, he talks about any politician that "loses" is pretty much out of favor with everyone. He had a vignette about VP Al Gore having the immediate ear of many powerful/influential/donors. One particularly powerful guy would stop anything he was doing and take a call from Gore and do his best to carry out any request. After Gore lost, the powerful guy pretty much got back to Gore "whenever" was convenient. In addition, when Gore was looking for financial backers for his global warming films and ventures, he basically had to come crawling on his knees to be heard by any of his previous backers.

I think Edwards' indiscretion showed a gross lack of judgement and is just a symptom of other faulty approaches he has at problem solving for the bigger picture. In other words, he's been a wash out for a reason. The real hair-puller for me is that his married campaign manager is claiming that the baby is HIS, and not Edwards. Why don't they shut up, take the test and then take whatever lumps are left to take? Was the campaign all about pulling a train on that woman? Why all the denial and drama? Doh!

My own personal problem is that it has been difficult as hell to get the story of Russia and Georgia, in the initial days. Georgia, has been one of our "coalition of the willing" in the war and has bought into the whole democracy thing. We're just sitting around letting them get their rumps kicked. Meantime our own president is sitting right next to Putin at the Olympic Games.... giving the impression of what? That we don't care about our most loyal of friends in the world? Our COUNTRY'S reputation is at least as important as a candidate's conduct, don't you think?

<blockquote>My own personal problem is that it has been difficult as hell to get the story of Russia and Georgia, in the initial days. Georgia, has been one of our ?coalition of the willing? in the war and has bought into the whole democracy thing. We?re just sitting around letting them get their rumps kicked. Meantime our own president is sitting right next to Putin at the Olympic Games.... giving the impression of what? That we don?t care about our most loyal of friends in the world? Our COUNTRY?S reputation is at least as important as a candidate?s conduct, don?t you think?

</blockquote>
We're not taking on a nuclear power face to face unless they fire first. Not now, not ever. Russia may be a lot of things but first and foremost it is still a country with missiles, capable of taking out major portions of our population with the press of a button. Georgie may be our ally, we may have trained and armed their forces, we might even have signed trade and protection treaties with them, but we aren't going to go and protect their borders or their citizens with American lives. Not to mention that we don't have the forces to respond in a way that would end any conflict, nor have we ever had a force of soldiers with the ability to deploy rapidly enough to prevent more bloodshed in South Ossetia. Considering that Russia is backing a movement that seeks to break away from Georgia, the line is blurred between internal rebellion and outside invasion. Georgia has not been over-run by the Russians in the way that Kuwait was in 1990. Until they are, don't expect much more than a useless UN resolution from politicians, or muted references in the national media; it's not a story until a government is overthrown.

Edwards said he never "loved" the woman. How's that

gonna play with the child 10-15 years from now??

Edward's child (I guess). Obviously, he doesn't care how

the child feels and I suppose the mother doesn't either.

Poor kid.

I am gonna vote for Obama. I don't care what anybody calls

him. I wish there were better choices, but there aren't.

The thing seems to be about the pipeline, and that is important.

Don't think there is anything we should do about it, tho.

They can build another pipeline, further south, if necessary.

Back