Summer Camp

irvine123_IHB

My boy is going to KG later this year. Instead of sending him to the summer preschool program which is really a childcare program during the summer, I am thinking about sending him to a summer camp. Any one can recommend any good summer camps in the general irvine areas?

Thanks

I did some googling this evening. There is a place called Camp James. have any of you had any experiences with them?

[quote author="irvine123" date=1207647470]I did some googling this evening. There is a place called Camp James. have any of you had any experiences with them?</blockquote>

Camp James is the one at Wild Rivers. . . I think they're closing. Sorry mom(s)!

The YMCA runs a great summer camp program for kids. My sister worked at summer camps both in NY (where I'm from) and in Mission Viejo, and found the quality of the programs to be equally as good on both ends of the country. They do a lot of activities with the kids, and also take them usually once a week on a major outing. She loved the combination of play and structure. It's not school time, but the staff is usually very hands on and involved with the kids. Also, a lot of the counselors are usually students studying to get their degrees in early education or social work. The costs are usually fairly reasonable as the YMCA is not about "gouging."

My sister has her degree in social work and now works at a hospital in the pediatric unit. She really found the YMCA camps to be one of the most enjoyable programs she's seen for kids, as it allowed them to be kids but also had a lot of structure.

-Shay

For older kids, I'd recommend the classes run by I.D. Tech Camps, offered on the campus of U.C. Irvine. You can read about them at www.internaldrive.com. They have computer game programming, game modding, video editing, web design, and all kinds of other tech related camps. They are run weekly, are all day long and offer a lunch program and even overnight camping, if you prefer. My son can't wait to attend every year.

Also, I think all of the local private schools offer weekly summer programs.

[quote author="Yinene" date=1207910359]For older kids, I'd recommend the classes run by I.D. Tech Camps, offered on the campus of U.C. Irvine. You can read about them at www.internaldrive.com. They have computer game programming, game modding, video editing, web design, and all kinds of other tech related camps. They are run weekly, are all day long and offer a lunch program and even overnight camping, if you prefer. My son can't wait to attend every year.

Also, I think all of the local private schools offer weekly summer programs.</blockquote>

Yinene (Is that a Yetti name?) you remind me of the summer writers program I took at UCI while in High School. Highly touted by my stuffy junior year English teacher, I entered it with some expectations. When one of the students began reading his composition, "I threw a paper bag of dog poop through a window and got arrested," I got an idea of the caliber of the course. . .

[quote author="Irvine Soul Brother" date=1207921308]

Yinene (Is that a Yetti name?)</blockquote>
Yeti? As in Sasquatch? Big Foot?

you remind me of the summer writers program I took at UCI while in High School. Highly touted by my stuffy junior year English teacher, I entered it with some expectations. When one of the students began reading his composition, "I threw a paper bag of dog poop through a window and got arrested," I got an idea of the caliber of the course. . .</blockquote>

I've wondered about that program. Was it all that lousy, or did you learn anything? Did you attend any summer camps you liked?

[quote author="Yinene" date=1208049169][quote author="Irvine Soul Brother" date=1207921308]

Yinene (Is that a Yetti name?)</blockquote>
Yeti? As in Sasquatch? Big Foot?

you remind me of the summer writers program I took at UCI while in High School. Highly touted by my stuffy junior year English teacher, I entered it with some expectations. When one of the students began reading his composition, "I threw a paper bag of dog poop through a window and got arrested," I got an idea of the caliber of the course. . .</blockquote>

I've wondered about that program. Was it all that lousy, or did you learn anything? Did you attend any summer camps you liked?</blockquote>

Yes, as in big foot. Personally, I did not like summer camps very much, but if I had to go with one that was pretty good, I'd say Astrocamp in Idylwild, CA. My much younger brother went there a few years ago. . . even better stuff than before. Middle School boys are going to connect with lasers and exploding balloons full of hydrogen. You even get to find meteors. . . who knew there were so many of them all over the place?

[quote author="irvine123" date=1207631993]My boy is going to KG later this year. Instead of sending him to the summer preschool program which is really a childcare program during the summer, I am thinking about sending him to a summer camp. Any one can recommend any good summer camps in the general irvine areas? </blockquote>

Try the Discovery Science Center - they have some summer programs.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1207631993]My boy is going to KG later this year. Instead of sending him to the summer preschool program which is really a childcare program during the summer, I am thinking about sending him to a summer camp. Any one can recommend any good summer camps in the general irvine areas?

Thanks</blockquote>

Try:

Ocean Institute

Bowers Kidseum

They both have good summer camps if you dont mind the drive.

[quote author="Irvine Soul Brother" date=1207652339][quote author="irvine123" date=1207647470]I did some googling this evening. There is a place called Camp James. have any of you had any experiences with them?</blockquote>

Camp James is the one at Wild Rivers. . . I think they're closing. Sorry mom(s)!</blockquote>

They are open this summer. I just registered my 2 kids there for a week. My kids went last year for a week and begged to go again this year. They get to go to Wild Rivers every day. They have different activities scheduled every day. One day they did arts and crafts, the next day they went on the go carts, the next, played softball and did archery. It's too expensive for us to send them for more than one week, but they really enjoy it.

Back