Stock Market Day-Trading Discussion Thread

Question for the experienced traders. I've been sitting on my cash a long time and my forays into the market to do short-term trades haven't done well because I'm too bearish and always freaked out by the possibility of a crash so I never hold anything long enough to do anything. I've bought a few puts, but I don't want to put all my eggs into the bear basket in case Wall Street actually succeeds in making this new bubble take off.

Recently, I've been thinking about setting up a long straddle with options. So basically it's betting that the price of the stock will move enough to cancel out the time value of the options. I've only ever bought a random call or put here and there, so I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to these strategies. What are your opinions of things like options straddles? It would seem to be a decent strategy in the crazy market we have today.

[quote author="BondTrader" date=1250827231][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250132305][quote author="PANDA" date=1250129542]Bondtrader,

I think that the DOW will hit 9,800 soon! Stick with just the DOG or double or triple short the DOW?</blockquote>

For you, DOG, dont play with the 2x, 3x stuff. But I seriously believe we should have a correction in days to come(S&P 850-950 range) before we have another leg up in Oct (positive Q3 GDP). By the way, if you wanna hedge your commodities positions, pm me.</blockquote>

Just a quick update, most likely S&P will go down to around 925-950 range in the next couple weeks before we bounce back in Oct, how far they gonna push this thing is anyone's guess, I'm calling for close to 1200 before the big down treand starts in Q1 or Q2 2010</blockquote>
I'd love the PPT to push the S&P to an all-time high (around 1,500) and then we crash right back down to 650-700.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250858537][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250827231][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250132305][quote author="PANDA" date=1250129542]Bondtrader,

I think that the DOW will hit 9,800 soon! Stick with just the DOG or double or triple short the DOW?</blockquote>

For you, DOG, dont play with the 2x, 3x stuff. But I seriously believe we should have a correction in days to come(S&P 850-950 range) before we have another leg up in Oct (positive Q3 GDP). By the way, if you wanna hedge your commodities positions, pm me.</blockquote>

Just a quick update, most likely S&P will go down to around 925-950 range in the next couple weeks before we bounce back in Oct, how far they gonna push this thing is anyone's guess, I'm calling for close to 1200 before the big down treand starts in Q1 or Q2 2010</blockquote>
I'd love the PPT to push the S&P to an all-time high (around 1,500) and then we crash right back down to 650-700.</blockquote>
Wow, market is zooming up today...I'm wondering if it's option expiration related? I mean, even the garage (AIG, Citi, etc) is rising. I just don't know what will bring the market down for now.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250890811][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250858537][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250827231][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250132305][quote author="PANDA" date=1250129542]Bondtrader,

I'd love the PPT to push the S&P to an all-time high (around 1,500) and then we crash right back down to 650-700.</blockquote>
Wow, market is zooming up today...I'm wondering if it's option expiration related? I mean, even the garage (AIG, Citi, etc) is rising. I just don't know what will bring the market down for now.</blockquote>

PPT is gunning it as well as my Goldman buddies, lol. Perfect setup for a big correction.

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fools. Just like Long Term Capital...you are a genius, until you aren't

<a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20603037&sid=aoiMh_sEJYP4">Cerberus to Raise New Funds After Investors Pull $4.77 Billion </a>

Clean out the rats!!!

[quote author="morekaos" date=1251850977]Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fools. Just like Long Term Capital...you are a genius, until you aren't

<a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20603037&sid=aoiMh_sEJYP4">Cerberus to Raise New Funds After Investors Pull $4.77 Billion </a>

Clean out the rats!!!</blockquote>

There is just a Karmic reason to not name your company after this...

http://www.niot.net/blog-images/27_...-still-wants-to-offload-remaining-stake-i.jpg

Back