Sick Days in Irvine

Welcome to Parenthood?

I haven?t log on to the IHB for a few days now; no, I haven?t been on vacation or even a staycation. We?ve been home with a sick child; and this morning (Friday) it seems that the fever has finally broke. It is especially anxious, heart wrenching and dramatic when it?s the first time your child is sick.

Our son had a low grade fever for the past couple of days; we suspected something wrong immediately before putting him to bed Tuesday night. They say moms are about 90% right at the first signs that something is not right. I?ve felt helpless before, but holding an inconsolable crying child whose little body is hot with fever takes powerlessness to a new level.

I have the privilege and freedom to work from home and I took the past couple of days off. I spend yesterday (Friday) playing catch-up. The wife was exhausted from the last few days; and I had to visit an office installation. So luckily our neighbor watched our son for a while in the afternoon. Our other friends also really helped out with some home made lasagna, which lasted a few days, when we couldn?t cook.

It was hard not picking up the phone or just let the work problems handle itself. But I know some of you double income earners out there aren?t so flexible. If you have a sick child and are in need of some help and if both of you can?t take the day off; how do most of you handle those tough days?

I like to propose some sort of meal delivery schedule were contributing members; can just drop off some soup, sandwich or salad at your door. I know how hard your sick child can be with around the hour care. And I don?t mind picking up a quick meal at The Corner Bakery or something and simply leaving it at your doorstep (no need to come to the door), when I?m out running around town.

I would imagine there needs to be at least 5-10 plus IHB people committed to being on stand-by who checks their PM or log-on to the IHB early every morning. Not all 5-10 people who are committed may be available that day; so that is where this thread can come into play. I guess we can take a quick poll to see if this is a good idea, and then, if you think you can commit, you can respond with a reply to make yourself available on this thread. People who need help can also post a reply and they can simply PM their address and we can all coordinate a few meals/schedules? good idea?

Yes, I like your idea. I used to participate in something similar when I was very involved with a parenting group. At the time, it was done for families who just had a new baby (or adopted one) and we all signed up to deliver them dinner for a week or two. I think it is great to expand the idea into not just helping those with new babies but also those who are under the weather, like you mentioned and I would say also single people or just anybody even if they don't have a child. There are some people who have nobody to help them when they are sick or have something happen to them. I would hope people would not abuse this idea by claiming they or someone in their family are sick when they are not, but there is no way of knowing. I would still participate. Always make sure that the food you leave is in a disposable container that does not need to be returned. That is the easiest way. A list should be made who is bringing what and when otherwise my experience tells me you have five people all delivering pizza day after day. Let's do this. Thanks, RC.

BTW - how is the little one doing now? Better?

RC, you truly are a very sweet person for thinking of this. I don't live in Irvine so I can't participate but I really appreciate your way of thinking of community. It takes a village.

[quote author="tmare" date=1244941437]RC, you truly are a very sweet person for thinking of this. I don't live in Irvine so I can't participate but I really appreciate your way of thinking of community. It takes a village.</blockquote>

(Sorry, I accidentally edited your reply but fixed it.)

Maybe we could create regions. Or, some people may be fine with traveling a little further. If you needed help in Santa Ana, I would still sign up and go there to you.

Thanks, SoCal. I am extremely fortunate to have both family close to me and good neighbors. I realize that everyone is not that fortunate and I'd be willing to help anyone who joins this group. I can drive to Irvine, I can't guarantee I won't get lost though!

thanks you guys... lets just see if anyone takes us up on our offer... I don't check email much or log on to the IHB regularly but I try to at least read everyday; I'm be up to help... sorry typing with one hand now, the other is holding baby... he is doing much better thanks, wifw and I had to switch going to seperate church services witj the baby home to be safe...

Guys, if you are OK with vegetarian food, ping me- I can bring something..I don't check IHB everyday, but have recently started checking my IHB related email everyday- if I get a PM, I will know:) It can be hard when kids are young, and sick..

I'm willing to help in the Irvine/Tustin area on the weekends. I have family in Irvine and so I can visit while I'm there. I'm also available on weekends or after 7 p.m. on weekdays in the Laguna/Ladera/AV/Mission Viejo/SM areas.

Back