Shady Canyon

[quote author="irvinefan"]how come no one talks about D? <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> just because they're in costa mesa?[/quote]

I came thisclose to going to d about 3 years ago....and chickened out at the last minute.

Has your wife considered going to private companies? I did right after my maternity leave <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->. My hours after that have been very reasonable, and I didn't sacrifice on pay:).

To me the problem of doing part time is that upon deadlines, nobody cares whether you are FT or PT, you are expected to get whatever done anyway. So a lot of PT people end up working more than they are supposed to.

Wow, glad to see so many people in the same field.

[quote author="ck"]
[quote author="purpletulip"]I am an ex K and P <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->, both in LA downtown.
They became no option after we had our first born <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->.

[/quote]

Good for you. My wife also works at k. After trying to juggle it for the first 5 years of parenthood we recently gave up and she went half-time. The pay cut stings, but you can't put a price tag on time with your child. [/quote]

Cheers! ;D

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
[quote author="irvinefan"]how come no one talks about D? <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> just because they're in costa mesa?[/quote]
It's all about the P!!! <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->[/quote]

[quote author="purpletulip"]
To me the problem of doing part time is that upon deadlines, nobody cares whether you are FT or PT, you are expected to get whatever done anyway. So a lot of PT people end up working more than they are supposed to.

[/quote]

That was our fear as well. But my wife has an amazing workgroup and leader, and over the years have become almost like family. They take good care of her.

Do you remember the line in "Shawshank Redemption" where Morgan Freeman is talking about getting out of prison and he says "I wouldn't know what to do out there --- I'm an institutional man now". My wife and I kind of feel that way about going out there. <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->

[quote author="ck"]
[quote author="purpletulip"]

[/quote]

That was our fear as well. But my wife has an amazing workgroup and leader, and over the years have become almost like family. They take good care of her.

Do you remember the line in "Shawshank Redemption" where Morgan Freeman is talking about getting out of prison and he says "I wouldn't know what to do out there --- I'm an institutional man now". My wife and I kind of feel that way about going out there. <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->[/quote]

That is my favorite movie of all time. I even know the location of the infamous oak tree where he dug up the tin can,

[quote author="purpletulip"]Has your wife considered going to private companies? I did right after my maternity leave <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->. My hours after that have been very reasonable, and I didn't sacrifice on pay:).

Wow, glad to see so many people in the same field.

[quote author="ck"]

Good for you. My wife also works at k. After trying to juggle it for the first 5 years of parenthood we recently gave up and she went half-time. The pay cut stings, but you can't put a price tag on time with your child. [/quote][/quote]

Im a former E (LA). There was always a resentment against the part time workers, because their work had to be finished by someone else, because of course they were part time. I dont believe the part time model works well in public accounting. To many deadlines.

P for Pricewater House
E for Ernst and Young
D for Deloitte
K for KPMG

Accountants get really excited about these secret codes like when I finally see no front doors off motorcourt, no TV above fireplace and 4/3 in 1,650 sf.

[quote author="graceomalley"]P for Pricewater House
E for Ernst and Young
D for Deloitte
K for KPMG

Accountants get really excited about these secret codes like when I finally see no front doors off motorcourt, no TV above fireplace and 4/3 in 1,650 sf.[/quote]

thanks! now it all makes sense <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

[quote author="cactusfan"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]P for Pricewater House
E for Ernst and Young
D for Deloitte
K for KPMG

Accountants get really excited about these secret codes like when I finally see no front doors off motorcourt, no TV above fireplace and 4/3 in 1,650 sf.[/quote]

thanks! now it all makes sense <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->[/quote]
It's the audit/tax fraternity that some of us are in. We put in our dues are proud.

something I forgot to mention...when we drove through Shady a couple weeks ago, I noticed there was quite a lot of construction activity...but why are people building if the cost of building plus land is more than the finished property can sell for?

Because of construction cost has come way down for Custom homes and much more attentive service homeowners who bought land late or held out just to wait for this right time to build their family homes.

Construction cost came down as much as 35% from the peak and thats the saving by not joining the herd. The Irvine side of Shady Canyon has more speculative homes than the newport side therefore the homes are worth higher due to them being owners occupied.

Is there 2 sides to Shady Canyon development? I new of just one - Irvine. Where is the Newport Beach side? Do you refer to Turtle Ridge?

[quote author="lurker"]Is there 2 sides to Shady Canyon development? I new of just one - Irvine. Where is the Newport Beach side? Do you refer to Turtle Ridge?[/quote]

i think he means irvine facing and newport facing. its also my understanding that shady is located in irvine and not split between irvine/np.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Because of construction cost has come way down for Custom homes and much more attentive service homeowners who bought land late or held out just to wait for this right time to build their family homes.

Construction cost came down as much as 35% from the peak and thats the saving by not joining the herd. The Irvine side of Shady Canyon has more speculative homes than the newport side therefore the homes are worth higher due to them being owners occupied.[/quote]
hah, thats neat, never thought of the two sides as newport and irvine, but totally get it....are construction costs still going down or are they starting to come back up?

[quote author="cactusfan"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]Another shot of the exterior. A pair of parallel 3CWG=6CG around a basketball court to the right of portal. To the left is a Fedex /UPS package shed. 80% of home rambling single story not shown is behind vegetation on a 2 acre lot. House constructed of Adobe bricks and texture is not legible on photo.[/quote]

House looks fabulous! great job! 2 acre lot...one of the huge ones on Golden Eagle? Just curious...And wondering if the owner had any problems going over the five year limit TIC puts on home completion?[/quote]

Now I know...big double lot on Boulder view. Huge, huge yard!

Back