Selling a car

stepping_up_IHB

I've posted my mom's car on CL and just got a call from Irvine from a man who wanted to pay cash. My husband said that there has been a series of incidents where someone pays cash for a car during non bank hours and then the house is broken into and the cash stolen. I explained to this Rudy character that it needed to be a cashier's check or if it was cash, he needed to come to the bank with me during their business hours. He told me if that was the case, then he wasn't interested. Was my request unreasonable?

there are benefits to communal living... people who come over from CL don't know where you live, I just sold my wife's old rims & tires down by our garage; maybe meet somewhere in public?

I sold cars ( the last one was Dec '08 for our three year old Honda minivan) several times, and transferred lease several times. I think you need to be very careful in screening buyers. When I post my ads, I actually states that I will only do the deals at the bank of my choice in the area. I usually reiterate this point before I agree to show the car.

If it is the cashier's check, I still want to do the deal at the bank, since I want the bank to deposit and check for fraud. I don't share my address with any potential buyers until they are at the bank, or in the case of lease transfer only after their credit has been approved by my current leasing companies. Serious buyer with no other motives will not have issues with that.

I think what you have asked for is very reasonable to protect your selves. If someone doesn't want to follow that, you should just let the deal go.

OH, one more thing, I actually go the extra steps of asking them to email me from their work address when they are ready to proceed on the deal for extra potential "fraud" detection.

Good luck...

Very reasonable. Alternatively, I'd go the bank route and deposit the cash immediately. I also like the work email address request.

A car sale on CL just seems to bring out all sorts of creeps. I was amazed at how quickly people started calling - and some were very pushy. You definitely need to screen them out before even showing it. Just don't give in to any of their pressure tactics. The sale should happen under your own terms.

I'd had much better luck selling my cars when I put them on autotrader.com and cars.com. I usually meet the people at some third party location in public for them to take a look at the car. If the car is worth a few thousand or less, I'll take cash...if it is more, I'll request for a wire transfer.

All larger transactions should be Wire Transfer.

Been seeing a lot of bad Cashiers Checks the last couple years.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1258951514]All larger transactions should be Wire Transfer.

Been seeing a lot of bad Cashiers Checks the last couple years.</blockquote>
I agree, that's what I had the guy that bought my 911 Turbo do. As soon as I got confirmation from my bank that the funds hit, I call him to come pick up the car.

I just bought a car via CL (2001 Sequoia 4WD) and yes, there are plenty of scams out there. I'd strongly suggest putting as much detail about the car as possible to reduce nonsense calls (IE, "2003 Land Rover Discovery for sale" should be 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE-7 with cold climate package and towing package. Green exterior, tan leather interior, with 73,000 miles. Does have rear airconditioning") Another key I saw was spelling out your phone number (949) 555-1212 should be Nine Four Nine, Five, Five Five - One, Two, One, Two to reduce automated calls. Never include a personal email address either.

Hope this helps,

Soylent Green Is People.

Back