Real Estate Economics and Personal Finance

Read his book years ago and took it with a grain of salt.  Overall, I agree with his basic principle of passive income making money for you, difficult part is when you start off working (tough to borrow) and/or little or no capital to work with

I've read several of Kiyoaski's books and played the games (cashflow 101).  IMO the original Rich Dad Poor Dad book was worth the read, the simple principal of only investing in cash flow positive properties is, simple enough.  The other books were unimpressive.

Back in the mid 2000's or so I went to a "Learning Annex" real estate seminar event with Trump and Kiyosaki as speakers.  A lot of people went and upon entering, you're welcomed by a line of leggy girls in skirts and fishnet stockings.  On stage the two speakers acted like college frat boys cracking adult jokes that were probably inappropriate for the younger audience.

The actual real estate "learning seminars" were conducted by "trainers" in smaller rooms, selling real estate investment training classes.  To afford the classes they advised the audience to go and open 10 credit card accounts.  At this point I bailed.

momopi said:
I've read several of Kiyoaski's books and played the games (cashflow 101).  IMO the original Rich Dad Poor Dad book was worth the read, the simple principal of only investing in cash flow positive properties is, simple enough.  The other books were unimpressive.

Back in the mid 2000's or so I went to a "Learning Annex" real estate seminar event with Trump and Kiyosaki as speakers.  A lot of people went and upon entering, you're welcomed by a line of leggy girls in skirts and fishnet stockings.  On stage the two speakers acted like college frat boys cracking adult jokes that were probably inappropriate for the younger audience.

The actual real estate "learning seminars" were conducted by "trainers" in smaller rooms, selling real estate investment training classes.  To afford the classes they advised the audience to go and open 10 credit card accounts.  At this point I bailed.

My view is that if you do not have the knowledge about real estate investment before you went into the workshops...you probably shouldn't invest in real estate.

There is no magical elixir...if you want some tips, talk to some local realtors, who are likely to be investors.  Positive cash flow properties are great in theory but if it was so easy...everyone would be getting them. 

Irvinecommuter said:
There is no magical elixir...if you want some tips, talk to some local realtors, who are likely to be investors.  Positive cash flow properties are great in theory but if it was so easy...everyone would be getting them. 

It's not difficult to find cash flow positive properties during down cycle if you look beyond Irvine/OC.  However, competing against other buyers is difficult.

In cities like Norwalk and Bellflower, in 2012 you could find 3 bed 2 bath SFR's for $250,000-$300,000.  They rent for $2,200/month-$2,400/month back then and $2,600/month today.  But competition to buy is very fierce.  We cruised targeted area and look for homes being fixed up for sale and hit them up with offers before they go on the market.

momopi said:
Irvinecommuter said:

It's not difficult to find cash flow positive properties during down cycle if you look beyond Irvine/OC.  However, competing against other buyers is difficult.

In cities like Norwalk and Bellflower, in 2012 you could find 3 bed 2 bath SFR's for $250,000-$300,000.  They rent for $2,200/month-$2,400/month back then and $2,600/month today.  But competition to buy is very fierce.  We cruised targeted area and look for homes being fixed up for sale and hit them up with offers before they go on the market.

For sure but there is a lot of risk and unexpected costs.  You need good cash flow and cannot rely on it to be your primary source of income.  It can be done but it's not close to easy.

Irvinecommuter said:
For sure but there is a lot of risk and unexpected costs.  You need good cash flow and cannot rely on it to be your primary source of income.  It can be done but it's not close to easy.

Most of us here do not own enough rental properties to make it our primary resource of income.  We need jobs to qualify for mortgages.

To simplify, the two common choices are newish homes that cost more but have very little maintenance cost, versus old homes that cost less but have higher maintenance expense.

In the first scenario a newish 3 bed 2 bath home (built in 2000's-2010's) in places like Chino will cost $280,000-$300,000 during market low.  At best you might break even with a 30 year loan.  To make it worth the effort we refinanced one SFR there with 15 year loan, have paid off 8 years since and can either sell another property to pay it off now or wait another 7 years to pay off the loan.  It's newish, it's nice, it's a keeper to help retire earlier.

In the second scenario, old, small 2 bedroom SFR's in Riverside County are cheap (<$100,000 to $150,000) during market lows.  $100K-120K SFR will rent for $1250/month back then and $1350-$1400/month today.  Your mortgage is 1/3 of the rental income.  Downside is that the home is built in 1960s-1970s and you can expect a lot of repair expenses.  Your cashflow will go into a maintenance reserve and home insurance & home warranty is highly recommended.  These SFR's are not keepers, when the market goes up sell them and cash out.

momopi said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Most of us here do not own enough rental properties to make it our primary resource of income.  We need jobs to qualify for mortgages.

To simplify, the two common choices are newish homes that cost more but have very little maintenance cost, versus old homes that cost less but have higher maintenance expense.

In the first scenario a newish 3 bed 2 bath home (built in 2000's-2010's) in places like Chino will cost $280,000-$300,000 during market low.  At best you might break even with a 30 year loan.  To make it worth the effort we refinanced one SFR there with 15 year loan, have paid off 8 years since and can either sell another property to pay it off now or wait another 7 years to pay off the loan.  It's newish, it's nice, it's a keeper to help retire earlier.

In the second scenario, old, small 2 bedroom SFR's in Riverside County are cheap (<$100,000 to $150,000) during market lows.  $100K-120K SFR will rent for $1250/month back then and $1350-$1400/month today.  Your mortgage is 1/3 of the rental income.  Downside is that the home is built in 1960s-1970s and you can expect a lot of repair expenses.  Your cashflow will go into a maintenance reserve and home insurance & home warranty is highly recommended.  These SFR's are not keepers, when the market goes up sell them and cash out.

A key factor that people always forget is time.  If you have an older home and/or a home that is in a less desirable area, you will to spend a lot of time between repairs, maintenance, and just checking up on the property.  Renters are great if they are good ones but if you get bad ones, ones that don't pay, or worse, both...you are in a lot of headaches.  Go try filing an UD and see how much time that takes.  You can hire an attorney but that's a few thousand dollars down the drain...and hopefully the renter doesn't trash the place on the way out.

momopi said:
Irvinecommuter said:

This bring up a good point about Home Warranty. Not to be mistake for Homeowner Insurance.

Are they scam, gimmick? Such as American Homeshield, or First American Home Warranty, which is a division of the First American Title Company.  I find it hard to believe, that they would actualy replace a high price applicance such as an A/C unit cost of 7-8 thousands when you only pay 65 bucks or less a month. If you have good experience with a company please share. If not I would like to know which to avoid.

My rentals are newer, but worth looking into.

Compressed-Village said:
momopi said:
Irvinecommuter said:

This bring up a good point about Home Warranty. Not to be mistake for Homeowner Insurance.

Are they scam, gimmick? Such as American Homeshield, or First American Home Warranty, which is a division of the First American Title Company.  I find it hard to believe, that they would actualy replace a high price applicance such as an A/C unit cost of 7-8 thousands when you only pay 65 bucks or less a month. If you have good experience with a company please share. If not I would like to know which to avoid.

Doesn't it depend on a number of factors...especially age of the system/appliance? 

I mean $65 a month is $780 a year....$780 covers a lot of repairs.  How often do you really need to replace an entire system? 

R22 Freon is +- & $100 dollars a lb. A typical refill of a system is about 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. it add up pretty quick.

EPA will phase out R22 Freon by 1/1/2020. Which mean it will no longer available. If you have a system that run R22 they must replace it when the Freon run dry. This worth a gamble to get a warranty. After the 1 year commitment, cancel.

Irvinecommuter said:
A key factor that people always forget is time.  If you have an older home and/or a home that is in a less desirable area, you will to spend a lot of time between repairs, maintenance, and just checking up on the property.  Renters are great if they are good ones but if you get bad ones, ones that don't pay, or worse, both...you are in a lot of headaches.  Go try filing an UD and see how much time that takes.  You can hire an attorney but that's a few thousand dollars down the drain...and hopefully the renter doesn't trash the place on the way out.

Compressed-Village said:

I don't worry about those things.  I pay property managers to worry about it.  We've never had to evict a tenant, they're usually open to negotiate if you're polite enough.

It's your property manager's job to deal with tenant issues, including eviction as last resort.  Your job is to find a good property manager.  When I first went to South Riverside County I didn't know anyone.  I drove into downtown Temecula (old town front st?) and saw many real estate offices lining the road, so I just walked in and started talking to people.

Ask property managers if they have trusted handyman and contractors who can perform repairs at reasonable rates.  How much do they charge for X and Y?  Have they worked with home warranty companies and can they recommend one?  If memory serves we had First American home warranty from the purchase and kept it, they charged $60 to fix a gas leak.

Positive cash flow is very powerful and enables you to do many things.  When your mortgage is $400/month and it rents for $1250/month, you have cash flow to comfortably pay for insurance and property manager expenses.  You can afford to tell your property manager to be picky with tenant screening -- it's OK if it takes 3 months to find a good tenant, you can afford it.

Compressed-Village said:
R22 Freon is +- & $100 dollars a lb. A typical refill of a system is about 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. it add up pretty quick.

EPA will phase out R22 Freon by 1/1/2020. Which mean it will no longer available. If you have a system that run R22 they must replace it when the Freon run dry. This worth a gamble to get a warranty. After the 1 year commitment, cancel.

Not sure that those warranty covers things like freon...that's not really a "repair". 

Irvinecommuter said:
Compressed-Village said:

Not sure that those warranty covers things like freon...that's not really a "repair".

That is correct. Freon is not cover under warranty plan, I checked. They at most cover very minimal, for the the both American Home Shield and First American only cover $ 10 dollars per pound. But the point that I am trying to get accross is, if the Freon is no longer available because of the ban by EPA. They have no choice but to replace your system. IF they do what they suppose to do.

I have not sign up with any Home Warranty and I read the fine print very carefully.

You can contact First American and ask exactly what is covered or have them send you the fine print to read.  However if you have an old HVAC system and EPA bans Freon, I don't think you should expect your home warranty to replace your AC system for free.

I did have my coils replaced and AC recharged at a rental home about 5 years ago.  Home warranty took care of majority of the cost but it wasn't completely free.

In another incident the toilet overflowed and flooded the wooden floors at different property.  On advice from my property manager I contacted State Farm Insurance, since we purchased insurance through them.  They sent an inspector and wrote me a check to replace the flooring.

https://homewarranty.firstam.com/articles/big-hvac

losangeles_background_3.jpg

This is a design concept that I had in mind for a long time of what it means to have real wealth. As a designer, you visualize something in your mind first, before you design it on paper.

- Panda

Is he your client?  ;)

Panda said:
Novak Djokovic born 22 May 1987 is a Serbian professional tennis player who is currently ranked world No. 1 in men's singles tennis by the Association of Tennis Professionals.

novak_color.jpg

This is the reason why I think many of you should consider incorporating playing tennis, swim, and aerobics into weekly lifestyle. You can find your singles or doubles tennis partner here in Talk Irvine. It is much better to incorporate this life style in your 30s and 40s vs 50s and 60s when it maybe too late. 70 year old executives were asked about their biggest regrets in life, and their #2 answer was that they wished that they would have taken better care of their body.

Did-you-know_heart_disease.jpg

Panda said:
Do you want to know a secret of building muscle mass quickly?

Rock Climbing allows you to work all your muscle groups simultaneously including: Chest, Triceps, Biceps, Back, and Shoulders. One hour of Rock Climbing will burn 680 Calories. I believe that rock climbing is the one most natural forms of strength training as you are lifting your own weight.

Here are the benefits of Muscular strength and muscular endurance exercises:

? Reduces body fat and increases lean body mass (muscle mass)
? Helps to keep bones dense and strong
? Increases energy levels
? Helps you to maintain correct posture
? Increases metabolism and helps to maintain weight
? Helps you to perform everyday tasks such as climbing stairs and lifting objects
? Reduces your risks of being injured
? Increases the strength of tendons and ligaments

rockclimbing_color.jpg

I like my life too much

Back