Preschools

joeldo_IHB

Please provide your recommendations and impressions of non-Montessori preschools in and around Irvine. We have a very social 3-year-old who is not enjoying his Montessori school with all of its individualized "work" time. A good preschool to us is one that teaches kids to share, to get along with others, and throws in some phonics, numbers, colors, whatever. The only one I've seen recommended is Jenny Hart - are they all so expensive? Thanks!

I just finished up a search and tour of several in the area. You will be hard-pressed to find one nearby that does not take a self-directed approach to play and learning which is the Montessori-style. (I was looking for one that more closely mimics the classroom setting you'd find in Kindergarten and didn't have too much luck.) With that said, I decided to go with <a href="http://www.goodshepherdpreschool.com/">Good Shepherd Preschool.</a> My choice is based on the needs of a part-time schedule, so if you are looking for full-time you might have a different take. I enjoyed the school's campus and facilities. It appears clean, well-maintained, and safe. They do not allow more than one class per playground at a time so that they can keep a good eye on the kids which I really liked. The play equipment looks brand new and is inspected frequently. The prices are reasonable. The teachers seem very on-the-ball. (They even wear waist-aprons at all times stocked with alcohol wipes, band-aids, etc. for first-aid care.) Even though in theory it is self-directed, when I was in the classrooms I saw the kids sitting in their little chairs at the tables doing a project and staying on task. (They do not receive homework assignments, though, but they give you suggestions for things to do.) It is centrally-located in the middle of Irvine. They do not create long waiting lists. You register right before the year starts, so no worries about it already being "full" (except maybe this time of year when we're halfway into it? I don't know.) You do not have to be a member of that or any church to enroll.

Anyway, hope this helps. I checked some preschools from Tustin to Mission Viejo so let me know if you need any help with something specific and I can look back in my notes. Good luck!

We've had good experiences at <strong><a href="http://www.missjodislearninggarden.com/content/default.aspx">Miss Jodi's Learning Garden</a></strong> and <strong><a href="http://www.stpaulspreschooltustin.org/">St. Paul's Preschool</a></strong>, both about a mile north of the intersection of Jamboree and Irvine Blvd.

St. Paul's was a bit more expensive, and had a long wait list IIRC, but has a huge outdoor playground and curriculum that matches what you described.

Miss Jodi is the owner/operator and does a good job in an all-indoor environment. Secular, and set up like a "gymboree-style" center.

Good luck.

[quote author="joeldo" date=1229647308]Please provide your recommendations and impressions of non-Montessori preschools in and around Irvine. We have a very social 3-year-old who is not enjoying his Montessori school with all of its individualized "work" time. A good preschool to us is one that teaches kids to share, to get along with others, and throws in some phonics, numbers, colors, whatever. The only one I've seen recommended is Jenny Hart - are they all so expensive? Thanks!</blockquote>

Jenny Hart is actually fairly reasonable price-wise as far as Irvine preschools go. We continue to be very happy with JH. Our youngest will start there this summer. My oldest is seriously bummed that they will be closed the week after Xmas. He's got to go a week and a half without preschool and is not enthused by the idea.

It was expensive choosing to buy Xmas presents for so many of the teachers there but we are truly thankful for many of them and they don't make very much money...

We sent our daughter to Turtle Rock Preschool for two years, and were very happy with it. Very social atmosphere, lots of school based activities. Not only did our daughter make many friends there, we did too.

St. Andrews Children's Center on Barranca. It's a secular program since they take state money to help people with lower incomes afford the tuition. The teachers are all top-notch and the curriculum was the perfect balance of fun and education from my perspective. And while official class sizes are comparable to all the other local preschools that I know about, actual class sizes were always tiny, tiny, tiny. I always considered us to be incredibly lucky.

[quote author="skek" date=1229651013]Has anyone had any experience with the <a href="http://www.anneliesesschools.com/">Anneliese</a> schools in Laguna?</blockquote>

We had our two kids at Anneliese's Westley campus and we did not like it at all. The big reason is that the playground is way too chaotic. Other parents i have run into have echoed major concerns on this same issue. I am not sure about the atmosphere at other Anneliese campuses - it may be better.

Back