[Poll] Anywhere but California

Where in the US would you move if you couldn't live in California?

• Northerm West Coast

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mountain zone

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Central zone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas (the morekaos state)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Midwest

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Northern East Coast

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Southern East Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alaska or Hawaii

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

I play this game every once in a while seeing how expensive it is to live here.

I'd probably pick Washington or Oregon near the coast. It's cooler up there and I can't be landlocked.

I'm not good at geography so I tried to make the options to cover as much of the US as possible.

But it seems like anything east of us has more heat, more snow, more floods, more hurricanes... etc.

Where would you move?

I considered Seattle, but the rain is too depressing.

Growing up in Sweden, I don't mind the snow/cold in the winter, but the northeast is also hot af during the summer.

If I'm retired, I would choose Hawaii.

Spent some time last week in Prescott AZ. Small town, has all 4 "real" seasons (not Fire, Flood, Earthquake, and Hobo, as we have here in SoCal) Their city center is not too touristy, and the restaurant variety is strong. It's close enough to get back to California when the surf is up. You can get a good home in the 4's, with a great home in the 6's.

Estes Park/Boulder CO are also nice. Soylent Red spent her years in that neck of the woods so a move there would almost be like coming home. Beautiful country.

Washington State, west of the Cascades. Been longing for cool, misty green landscapes.  But not a SoCal native, so never really got used the arid, near desert like climate here. Don't mind the rain, find it refreshing.

Arizona for me. I plan on retiring there. I like living on/near the west coast and I don't think I could put up with the midwest or east coast.

Watching that lake snow band in NY really makes me not want to move away from the West Coast.

Too many hurricanes, snow, cold weather, etc... seems like it's more often than the earthquakes and fires we get here.

62fbccc3d3535b001991c948

I would look at 2050 weather forecast map for places that won't be too hot. Assuming the predictions are correct, you probably don't want to live along the Mississippi, or be involved/invested in agricultural business or river barge business there. With more extreme weather it may result in cycles of drought and flooding in the region.

Tentatively, border areas with Canada looks good, Alaska in long term. These weather patterns have repeated previously and will tilt back toward cooling at later date.

Last edited:
Back