Overkill on Home Inspections?

CTNative

So I am seriously considering an older house on a hill (fairly steep) and I might be going overboard with the home inspectors...

It was built in 1989 and has been kept up, at least on the inside and the outside surface. There might be some history of termites.

I want to get a termite inspector, a general inspector, and an inspector for the hill (geology). Or should I get a general inspector and a specialized one for the foundation and/or for the roof (roof is Spanish tile if that matters)?

Does anyone think this is overkill? I mean, I know it's overkill but I'd like to know what is not, but is prudent.

I know I will be provided with any insurance claims on the house so that is a plus. Any input would help.

I'm no expert, but sounds smart to me. If you don't mind paying for all those inspections, I would. God forbid there is a huge issue with the foundation on the hill that needs to be shored up. That could be thousands, easy, plus a Civil Engineer to design the drawings, etc....Could be bad news.... I'd say go for it! Goodluck!

CTNative said:
So I am seriously considering an older house on a hill (fairly steep) and I might be going overboard with the home inspectors...

It was built in 1989 and has been kept up, at least on the inside and the outside surface. There might be some history of termites.

I want to get a termite inspector, a general inspector, and an inspector for the hill (geology). Or should I get a general inspector and a specialized one for the foundation and/or for the roof (roof is Spanish tile if that matters)?

Does anyone think this is overkill? I mean, I know it's overkill but I'd like to know what is not, but is prudent.

I know I will be provided with any insurance claims on the house so that is a plus. Any input would help.
Getting a termite report is standard for all re-sale homes so nothing special there.  I would get an inspector that specializes in geology to make sure the soil is stable.  The general inspector should be able to tell you if you need to bring a roofing company out to look at the roof (Spanish tile roofs tend to last for a long, long time though).  As they say, it's better to be safe than sorry and the money that spend on the inspectors will be peace of mind which is priceless.  Glad to hear you aren't buying one of those Lennar condos over at CPW.  Good luck on the purchase.

Back