Orchard Hills K-8 Attendance Area

Good explanation, ajw.

Thanks for the data, CK.

Hopefully nobody thinks I'm hating on West Irvine or anything. I actually like the area and find it very pretty and appealing.

Hey, I just used the phrase "hating on!" Don't I sound young, with-it, and hip?*

*Realizing that all the truly young, with-it, and hip people probably stopped using this phrase like 10 years ago.

An update to the original topic, it looks like the option which will split Myford students at 5th grade is (was) to be approved by TUSD board tonight. So all Hicks Canyon and Myford north of Champion will go to Orchard Hills from 5th - 8th grade. Myford south of Champion will stay at Myford through 5th, and then on to Pioneer for 6th - 8th.

Boundary detail and intra-district transfer information attached, link to school board agenda below.

http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/html/about/board/boardagendas/2009-10agendas/100125-study-session.pdf

[quote author="ck"]An update to the original topic, it looks like the option which will split Myford students at 5th grade is (was) to be approved by TUSD board tonight. So all Hicks Canyon and Myford north of Champion will go to Orchard Hills from 5th - 8th grade. Myford south of Champion will stay at Myford through 5th, and then on to Pioneer for 6th - 8th.

Boundary detail and intra-district transfer information attached, link to school board agenda below.

http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/html/about/board/boardagendas/2009-10agendas/100125-study-session.pdf[/quote]

I find it mean that TUSD would split Myford students. That would be sad for those who made friends at Myford to have to go to different schools.

That is just so wrong to mix Abercrombie with Carters. Dad could be dropping off his 8th grader and a 5 years old step sisbling from his current trophy wife at the same time.

[quote author="graceomalley"]That is just so wrong to mix Abercrombie with Carters. Dad could be dropping off his 8th grader and a 5 years old step sisbling from his current trophy wife at the same time.

[/quote]

...I agree. Assuming we stick it out in West Irvine/Tustin Ranch, we'll stay within the Pioneer boundary.

We as parents often think we know what is best for the students.

My daughter is one of two students nominated by the school faculty at Pioneer as the top achiever in her graduating class. She has an A+ GPA, Associate Student Body, perfect attendance, highest school volunteer hours, honor classes and team leader in Science Olympiad.

Her testimony counts a lot. She interacted with competitors from other schools she was impressed by the science and forensic debate teams from Troy and Oxford. She was totally underwhelmed by the Irvine teams.

She thought the API test was a joke and it does not really gauge the intelligence level of students. School academic and science competition are more accurate to gauge student's intellect by application of knowledge outside the classroom instead of good memorization for taking tests in class.

Troy for more than a decade has swept the Science Olympiad competition nationwide.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:whKaXKL3WJEJ:soinc.org/national_tournament_winners+science+olympiad+troy&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The other Chinese girl nominated as the high achiever is her best friend will be attending Troy this fall. Her dad sold his townhome and bought a place in Fullerton.

If your life evolves your children's education and your decisions are all all based on your children then my daughter recommends Troy or Oxford because the kids there she admits is much smarter than her and she may be #1 at her school.

Is there a site that tells me whether or not the kids are bullies or that they make fun of the new kids?

I think from K-5th... that's more important to me than test scores. Heh.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Is there a site that tells me whether or not the kids are bullies or that they make fun of the new kids?

I think from K-5th... that's more important to me than test scores. Heh.[/quote]

I think you can pretty much count on that at any school. Kids will be kids. That's why our daugther is in Taekwondo. Heh.

[quote author="ck"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Is there a site that tells me whether or not the kids are bullies or that they make fun of the new kids?

I think from K-5th... that's more important to me than test scores. Heh.[/quote]

I think you can pretty much count on that at any school. Kids will be kids. That's why our daugther is in Taekwondo. Heh.[/quote]
That will help with the physical aspect... but does Martial Arts help with "She hurt my feelings."?

My daughter said her teacher told her that she writes sloppy and that made her feel bad.

Hmm... maybe we should move this discussion to Parenting.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
[quote author="ck"]

I think you can pretty much count on that at any school. Kids will be kids. That's why our daugther is in Taekwondo. Heh.[/quote]
That will help with the physical aspect... but does Martial Arts help with "She hurt my feelings."?

[/quote]

That's funny you say that, because we enrolled in martial arts as much for the mental toughness as the physical. Read this summary from the school we attend:

http://www.talium4me.com/childrens_program.asp

Children, Ages 2 1/2 - 12 Benefit From:
- Improved concentration and focus which contributes to better learning and achievement in school.
- Discipline and self-control the results in a sense of responsiblity and better overall behavior.
- Confidence... (I CAN DO IT!)... to be an individual and cope with peer pressure.
- Self-esteem to develop dignity and a good opinion of one's own worth.
- Learning to set and attain goals.
- Physical skills that aid growth and performance as well as advance coordination, flexibility, strength and general fitness and well-being.
- Learning martial arts techniques useful in self-defence.
- Developing a greater sense of community and becomeing a role model.
- Moral values on which to base strong mental training for entire social development.
- Meeting new friends and challenges in a dynamic enviroment.
- Most importantly... FUN!

[quote author="purpletulip"]Does anyone know why Hicks Canyon would stop at grade 4? Will it become a much smaller school than it is today? [/quote]

Well, I know Hicks is very overcrowded currently. Under the new plan, Orchard Hills, which is a K-8 school, will begin taking Hicks students from Grade 5 and continue on until Grade 8. After that, the student will continue on to Beckman High. I believe this will help relieve overcrowding at Hicks.

[quote author="purpletulip"]Does anyone know why Hicks Canyon would stop at grade 4? Will it become a much smaller school than it is today? [/quote]

Hicks Canyon, Myford, and Pioneer MS are all bursting at the seams with kids. Orchard Hills will ease pressure from all three.

That said, if I lived in the OH school zone, I'm not sure how I would feel about my child transitioning to the new school at 5th grade, at least until the full Orchard Hills K-5 elementary grades come online. It would seem almost like the 5th graders are entering middle school a year early. Of course, that may be a small trade off for getting a brand new and beautiful campus to spend MS. Not that 10 year old Pioneer is outdated...

Back