Opinions on this Yorba Linda House?

sdcordova_IHB

I'd appreciate any opinions you have on this Yorba Linda house. I have saved for the last five years to buy a house, and all of my cash is sitting in a savings account making 1.5% interest. I expect there to be significant inflation in the future and plan to be a long-time home owner, so I think it might make sense for me to go ahead and make the plunge. Thanks for your input!

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/5569-Paseo-Gilberto-92886/home/4255765">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/5569-Paseo-Gilberto-92886/home/4255765</a>

i dunno what you should do. We are waiting a few more years, probably when interest rates are much higher.

If this is your dream house, and you plan on being there until you die, go for it, IMHO. I'd try to low-ball them a bit though, considering the house has been on the market for more than four months already.

[quote author="WillWork4Home" date=1255745361]I'd appreciate any opinions you have on this Yorba Linda house. I have saved for the last five years to buy a house, and all of my cash is sitting in a savings account making 1.5% interest. I expect there to be significant inflation in the future and plan to be a long-time home owner, so I think it might make sense for me to go ahead and make the plunge. Thanks for your input!

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/5569-Paseo-Gilberto-92886/home/4255765">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/5569-Paseo-Gilberto-92886/home/4255765</a></blockquote>
Looks like a very nice home and I like how it is on a nice big piece of land (compared to Irvine) at a reasonable price. Have you run comps on the surrounding area? If not, I can e-mail you sold comps to see how this home's price stacks up to the recently sold homes in the area. The location also seems to be good as well. If you plan on living there for the next 5-7+ years and it fits your needs then I say go for it. Either way, good luck and keep us posted.

We do plan on staying in the house for 5-7 years, which I think helps make it not a complete knife catcher move in this economy. I looked at the comps on redfin, which are in the $720-$850k range. The house definitely needs updating; it has the 1970s oak everywhere and no granite or natural stone in sight. I'm not quite sure how to price these lack of finishes not knowing what the interior of the sold comps look like.

Is it just me, or does the exterior look like one of those mario brothers mushroom men that you kill by jumping on them? I kind of like it for that reason too, which admittedly isn't quite rational. It will be our mushroom mansion, or "shroom" for short.

[quote author="WillWork4Home" date=1255756435]We do plan on staying in the house for 5-7 years, which I think helps make it not a complete knife catcher move in this economy. I looked at the comps on redfin, which are in the $720-$850k range. The house definitely needs updating; it has the 1970s oak everywhere and no granite or natural stone in sight. I'm not quite sure how to price these lack of finishes not knowing what the interior of the sold comps look like.

Is it just me, or does the exterior look like one of those mario brothers mushroom men that you kill by jumping on them? I kind of like it for that reason too, which admittedly isn't quite rational. It will be our mushroom mansion, or "shroom" for short.</blockquote>
Haha, it kinda does look a little like one of those mushroom men from mario brothers. But to answer your question of how you compare properties that are upgraded versus ones that aren't...the best and simplest way is to estimate the cost of the upgrades and either add or subtract from the property. Remember, the most important things when it comes to real estate is location, floor plan, and lot size...everything else can be changed rather easily. I do have a great granite guy I can refer you (my mom's friend's husband) if you decide to do that upgrade.

That looks like a great house.

So long as you are ok with the price dropping a lot between when you buy and the 10+ years until you sell, you should enjoy it.

But if you are going to be really unhappy if it drops 30% between now and then....

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1255762542]That looks like a great house.

So long as you are ok with the price dropping a lot between when you buy and the 10+ years until you sell, you should enjoy it.

But if you are going to be really unhappy if it drops 30% between now and then....</blockquote>
Freedom, unless inventory levels increase significantly and the economy takes a serious dump there's no way this home will drop in value by 30% from the current price per SF.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1255765833][quote author="freedomCM" date=1255762542]That looks like a great house.

But if you are going to be really unhappy if it drops 30% between now and then....</blockquote>
Freedom, unless inventory levels increase significantly and the economy takes a serious dump there's no way this home will drop in value by 30% from the current price per SF.</blockquote>
Inventory levels will increase significantly and the economy will continue to take a serious dump and this home will drop in value by 30% from the current price per SF.

I'd go for it if this is a house you love, it's in your ideal location, and you have enough money saved up if you lose your job. But please promise me, if you get it, the Grecian statues have to go!!!!

I would get the comps from a MLS source that has photos. If something similar sold for the same price recently that was updated maybe you can use that to talk the owners down on their price. T-man will send it to you with no obligation.

[quote author="awgee" date=1255766654][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1255765833][quote author="freedomCM" date=1255762542]That looks like a great house.

Freedom, unless inventory levels increase significantly and the economy takes a serious dump there's no way this home will drop in value by 30% from the current price per SF.</blockquote>
Inventory levels will increase significantly and the economy will continue to take a serious dump and this home will drop in value by 30% from the current price per SF.</blockquote>

I agree on inventory level but not on economy. I thinks worst of economy is behind us, but will it back on foot very time soon? I seriously doubt it. It's that sagging economy for next few years and constant high UE rate will keep the housing in trouble for quite some time.

WW4H - What aspect of the potential home purchase are you seeking opinions on? IMO, there isn't enough info provided to assess your situation since we don't know much about your finances. I just went on the foreclosure search feature here on IHB (see the tab on the blog) and noticed there are 22 pages of search results- with 20 properties displayed on each - for that city. If you are seriously considering buying it, I think you should sit down with someone who will go over <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/6438/#132828">these types of questions / scenarios</a> with you. Then you can lay all the cards on the table and give this idea the attention it deserves along with a more accurate answer. Make sure you map out a very good back-up plan in case you buy but must unload unexpectedly before 5 / 10 years / or length of ownership you anticipate. That's what I would do. Don't be a stranger - let us know what happens with this one.

The statues will definitely go if we buy the house.

The price per square foot at $254 is already pretty reasonable. We wouldn't pay more than $750k for the place, which drops it further. I can see prices dropping another 20%, but 30% seems a bit high. Also, how does one factor inflation into this entire mess? Buying a house with a 30 year fixed mortgage rate has historically been the best inflation hedge. If we experience inflation at 10% per year for two years, which I think is very possible, that wipes out a 20% price drop, doesn't it? Granted, I have lost opportunity cost from not putting my money somewhere else, but I also have the benefit of my mortage getting significantly less expensive as time goes on.

I think the likely (huge) inflation we will be experiencing in the next few years has to factor into the analysis somehow. I'm just not sure how to take it into account. I confess that I did not do well in economics.

SoCal -- I think I am soliciting thoughts as to the general quality of this property (location, size, features) such that it will retain its value as much as possible over time, and whether, coming into the purchase as a long-term homeowner in light of the current economy and future risk of inflation, it would be a sound financial decision to place the savings I have accumulated thus far into this place? I realize there are intangibles that go into any purchase (how badly we want to buy a house, settle down, have a place of our own, etc.), which matter. But I have been a longtime lurker on these boards and have found that the people here have good heads on their shoulders and seem very knowledgeable. So, when it comes down to it, I'd like to know if people think I am making a completely bonehead move or not!

The one thing I haven't seen factored into the various models of future home prices is how inflation should be taken into account.

What additional information would people find helpful in offering their thoughts?

We are taking another look at the place this weekend to try and make a final decision.

[quote author="WillWork4Home" date=1255832959]SoCal -- I think I am soliciting thoughts as to the general quality of this property (location, size, features) such that it will retain its value as much as possible over time, and whether, coming into the purchase as a long-term homeowner in light of the current economy and future risk of inflation, it would be a sound financial decision to place the savings I have accumulated thus far into this place? I realize there are intangibles that go into any purchase (how badly we want to buy a house, settle down, have a place of our own, etc.), which matter. But I have been a longtime lurker on these boards and have found that the people here have good heads on their shoulders and seem very knowledgeable. So, when it comes down to it, I'd like to know if people think I am making a completely bonehead move or not!

The one thing I haven't seen factored into the various models of future home prices is how inflation should be taken into account.

What additional information would people find helpful in offering their thoughts?

We are taking another look at the place this weekend to try and make a final decision.</blockquote>

Here's my opinion:

In general, most of us think prices are gliding downward with the angle being dictated by the shenanigans going on in Washington; currently they are doing their best to ease the rate of descent, with some success. However, that success has come at a great cost and no one thinks it's something that can be maintained. So if you are convinced that prices are going down, whether it be quickly or slowly, you have to look at any purchase as certain to lose value in the short term. The people who bought this house back in 1995 did so in a market that had been slithering along the bottom for years. Clearly, having stayed for 14 years, they are ready to downsize and are expecting to double their "investment". I have no info on how much equity they sitting on or how much they blew on statuary, but they certainly do not appear that they *need* to sell.

Which prompts me to ask this question: are you going to be staying in Y.L. long enough to weather the loss in value (if it occurs) and make a home there or are you hoping to buy low, live there for a 5 or 6 years, and then sell on the next RE upswing? If you are looking to get the most bang for your buck, waiting another year will probably deliver that for you. If you are worried that inflation will eat away your buying power, consider that this would be occurring in a depressed RE market; it seems unlikely that home prices would be rising in that environment, but interest rates certainly would. If you are looking to buy a home for your family for the next 15 to 20 years, the only question you really need to answer for yourself is "Am I willing and <em>can I afford</em> to pay $800k to make this place 'home'?"

As for the property: it has a pool, a nice street, backs to a green belt with an elementary school beyond that, mature landscaping, a large lot with plenty of parking, and it even lends itself to being remodeled/refreshed/refurbished without too much expense. If I had 2-3 crumb munchers, <em>and I could afford it</em>, I would seriously consider this place. If I was just looking for an investment, I'd be moving on.

Back