Online Graduate Level Programs

elgringo

I am wondering if any of you have experience with online graduate programs.  I recently completed an accounting class through the UCI online extension and enjoyed it but I am wondering what it would be like to do a full masters degree.  I travel a fair amount for my job so as much as I would like an "in class" program, it's just not viable.  I'd welcome any feedback any of you have to offer.

I did 1/3 of a masters at Stanford utilizing their distance learning program in 2002-2003 so my feedback is a bit old.  The thing I loved about the Stanford program is that you are part of in-person classes and watch that days class just a few hours after its in session.  You are assigned to groups with a mix of other distant learners and in class learners and you are asked to participate in the forums.  I felt like it was a good mix and best of both worlds plus you get a full on degree from Stanford.
http://scpd.stanford.edu/publicViewHome.do?method=load

homer_simpson said:
Lots of Trojans here.  Always wonder how it is on the other side.  I'm a Bruin at heart (undergrad)  ;)
Only problem with Bruins (me being one) is that the alumni network sucks.  >:D

USCTrojanCPA said:
homer_simpson said:
Lots of Trojans here.  Always wonder how it is on the other side.  I'm a Bruin at heart (undergrad)  ;)

Totally agree with you there bud.  Well atleast the Stanford alumni network is pretty strong... in the bay area...  ::)

homer_simpson said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
homer_simpson said:

Totally agree with you there bud.  Well atleast the Stanford alumni network is pretty strong... in the bay area...  ::)
I'm sure the USC alumni network is much stronger in So Cali as it is in the bay area so it's just based upon location of the school.

Not to get away from the USC v. UCLA ....(GO ANTEATERS--ZOT!!) but I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into Online MBA programs. In my opinion, half the worth of a MBA is where you go. Not to knock any particular school, but would you agree that a MBA from CSULB in general management wouldn't carry as much weight as a MBA from Marshall or Anderson? Is it fair? Maybe not entirely, but that's the way "corporate world" sees MBA's...in my opinion and the opinion of my executives I've informally interviewed.

I've always been interested in doing a MBA, but UC Irvine's program doesn't interest me (that much). I want to do something from a different region with a different set of people, broadening my horizons. I've looked as far as IE School in Spain which is a highly-ranked international busines school.

Just curious if anyone has any insight on this...

bones said:
i have a friend that is doing the duke fuqua cross continent MBA program.  It's 16 months - you can work full time while doing it (assuming your work is ok with you missing some weeks).  You do residencies in shanghai, london, dubai, india, st petersburg and one on campus at duke.  He loves it and highly recommends it.  This is a good way to get some international flavor without putting your life on pause for 2 years.  I think there are several other schools that offer programs like this. 

link:http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke_mba/cross_continent/

Thanks bones! Saw this program. What deters me from Duke's progra is the $150k+ price tag. That's NOT including the airfare to all of those very exotic places. =)

I want to stay in top 50 schools at a bare minimum. Other schools that offer this distance learning are Carnegie Mellon, UNC (kenan-flagler), Indiana Univ. (Keller), Northeastern Univ., Penn State and I think that was it....I like UNC and CM, but Northeastern (with the right work experience) doesn't require the GMAT, but UNC has a better "name"....Anyone have thoughts on any of those programs?

Back