New Jersey

traceimage_IHB

I was in northern New Jersey a couple of months ago visiting relatives, and it just amazed me how different the houses are there. For one thing, they have so much more land! My aunt's backyard was so huge. They have just a regular middle-class family house, but their yard was this huge grassy area that would be unheard of in OC. And the houses are so pretty too - you see a lot more brick (which obviously we don't have here due to earthquakes) and everything looks so classic and stately. The houses also look like they're just dropped from the sky instead of perfectly laid out cookie-cutter style on tiny lots. I know people criticize New Jersey a lot but I thought it was charming.

I also got to see fireflies for the first time! Very cool.

I think if my family weren't here, I'd want to pick up and move back east. Real seasons, and everything's so green and pretty...unlike the hot, dry weather we have here in the desert all the time.

Morristown, Orange, and Bernardsville are all very pretty towns. I love the architecture there. With proper land and setback a home does not need to be good to look spectacular.

When setback is diminished architecture and details have to be superb to compensate.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1254543806]I think if my family weren't here, I'd want to pick up and move back east. Real seasons, and everything's so green and pretty...unlike the hot, dry weather we have here in the desert all the time.</blockquote>

I agree with you with regards to the homes, , but with regard to the climate and geography, I think you are comparing things in September. Try comparing the two places in the winter. New Jersey will be cold and brown (no leaves or grass) and Orange County will be warm or mild and green (at times).

[quote author="financeguy" date=1254544494][quote author="traceimage" date=1254543806]I think if my family weren't here, I'd want to pick up and move back east. Real seasons, and everything's so green and pretty...unlike the hot, dry weather we have here in the desert all the time.</blockquote>

I agree with you with regards to the homes, , but with regard to the climate and geography, I think you are comparing things in September. Try comparing the two places in the winter. New Jersey will be cold and brown (no leaves or grass) and Orange County will be warm or mild and green (at times).</blockquote>

That is a very valid point. Some people like the seasonal changes. Orange and red leaves during the fall and celedon green during the spring. I personally like snow the best during the cozy Holiday time in front of a fireplace. I have too many coats that I never wore and I love attire accessories for the colder climate.

Winter in the Northeast has its own charm. And some of us get pretty bored with the thing we call Winter here in SoCal.

Personally, my dislike of NE weather was always centered around Spring and Summer. For a certain period in Spring, the Northeast becomes a huge mass of half-melted salty black ice. I never did learn whatever special trick people there use to not get splatter marks all over your clothing when walking around in the Spring.

Summer over there has too much humidity for my taste. The monthly average temps in June, July, and August for Irvine and NYC are pretty similar. But the lower humidity in Irvine makes it feel amazingly better.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1254543806]I think if my family weren't here, I'd want to pick up and move back east. Real seasons, and everything's so green and pretty...unlike the hot, dry weather we have here in the desert all the time</blockquote>Yeah, some East Coast hamlets in Massachusetts and Virginia etc are VERY VERY nice. Think Marthas Vineyard and the like. But they are very, very expensive too. The parts of California that do have seasons, dont have much in the way of jobs. Just how it is.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1254543806]I was in northern New Jersey a couple of months ago visiting relatives, and it just amazed me how different the houses are there. For one thing, they have so much more land! My aunt's backyard was so huge. They have just a regular middle-class family house, but their yard was this huge grassy area that would be unheard of in OC. And the houses are so pretty too - you see a lot more brick (which obviously we don't have here due to earthquakes) and everything looks so classic and stately. The houses also look like they're just dropped from the sky instead of perfectly laid out cookie-cutter style on tiny lots. I know people criticize New Jersey a lot but I thought it was charming.

I also got to see fireflies for the first time! Very cool.

I think if my family weren't here, I'd want to pick up and move back east. Real seasons, and everything's so green and pretty...unlike the hot, dry weather we have here in the desert all the time.</blockquote>

you point out why many people don't like OC and inland south oc in particular. but you can live in socal and have houses like that. you just need to get out of oc cookie cutter land where houses are built based on minimizing cost to build more than anything.

Back