Need help - screwed with location

punchenpie_IHB

Hi guys,

This is partially a rant and mostly a desperate cry for help. Here's the thing...I scheduled a party for my sister on August 15 (NEXT SATURDAY!!!) at my IAC apartment's clubhouse. They are now letting me know that somebody else has booked the clubhouse for the same date, and because I have just reworked the clubhouse rental as a perk in my resigned lease, I guess I am lower priority.

The invites have been sent out. There are no other dates that would work for the guests. My only other option is to change the venue, but I don't know where else to hold it!!! There will only be 20 of us in total, and the party is martini and hors d'oeuvres-themed. So we'll really need a clubhouse type set up where we have ovens and a kitchen.

PLEASE HELP :( :(

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1249633482]Hi guys,

This is partially a rant and mostly a desperate cry for help. Here's the thing...I scheduled a party for my sister on August 15 (NEXT SATURDAY!!!) at my IAC apartment's clubhouse. They are now letting me know that somebody else has booked the clubhouse for the same date, and because I have just reworked the clubhouse rental as a perk in my resigned lease, I guess I am lower priority.

The invites have been sent out. There are no other dates that would work for the guests. My only other option is to change the venue, but I don't know where else to hold it!!! There will only be 20 of us in total, and the party is martini and hors d'oeuvres-themed. So we'll really need a clubhouse type set up where we have ovens and a kitchen.

PLEASE HELP :( :(</blockquote>
Have you asked the leasing office if they can help you location a nearby IAC to see if there is another available clubhouse to rent for the evening???

So, are you saying that they reserved your spot then bumped you for a paying customer?? (Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like your rental would be at no charge since it was worked into your lease agreement.) If that is what happened, I would be upset and ask to talk to the manager. If that <em>was</em> the manager who bumped you then I would request accommodations at another nearby IAC clubhouse. I am sorry this has happened to you. That is pretty crappy. If it was a scheduling error then I would somewhat understand mistakes happen but if they took that other reservation on purpose then that's just wrong.

Sounds like the clubhouse rental was part of your rental agreement, if so do you have it in writing and signed with the date of the event? Since this was done as an incentive to get you to resign your lease, I would think at minimum they should owe you the money it costs to reserve the clubhouse for that date, otherwise the commercial incentive they gave you to resign was fraudulent and you should contest your lease agreement.

I also got a free clubhouse rental day as part of my IAC lease renewal, and while I haven't used it yet, I'm sure my free day would be treated equally like a paid day, so if I booked a day first, then that day is as good as a paid day, and anyone who tried to schedule that same day after I reserved the date, would be out of luck. If I booked a day and a few days later the leasing office came back and said sorry, someone else wants that same day, I'd say no way and I'm sure the leasing agent who helped me with my renewal would back me up.

So what I would do if something like that happened to me, assuming that I reserved the clubhouse before the other person, then I would insist the leasing office honor my reservation, and if I don't get satisfaction, then I'd escalate my complaint above the local leasing office and get that clubhouse date reinstated for my party, or else accept an available clubhouse at another IAC rental (by the way, the Orchard Hills clubhouse is VERY nice if available) and for my trouble I'd insist on another free clubhouse rental day as well for the future. If you were bumped by someone after you made your reservation it's very unethical on the leasing office's part and such behavior if not corrected at the local leasing office should be reported to the corporate higher-ups at IAC, and that employee who bumped you should be reprimanded to not to do that again.

They are telling me that I'm not even on the calendar :( They said they would call the other IACs to check for availability but I don't want to be too hopeful. They said that they can't move the other event. No apologies.

At this point I'm trying not to panic but I am still not with a location.

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1249690143]They are telling me that I'm not even on the calendar :( They said they would call the other IACs to check for availability but I don't want to be too hopeful. They said that they can't move the other event. No apologies.

At this point I'm trying not to panic but I am still not with a location.</blockquote>

Do you have any homeowner friends with larger houses willing to rent it out to you for a night? Or do one of your attendees have a house large enough to host the party?

Also, some of the finer hotels have houses rather than hotel rooms that feed into the resort. Some of them might be for rent for a night (although it's expensive). Could call some Newport Beach hotels and find out.

Anon, unfortunately my homeowner friends are out in the IE, a little too far for the guest of honor. I think I am going down option #2. I know that Pelican Hill has these types of rooms/villas, as does the Ritz, but if you know of any others I'd gladly call them just to see what they can offer.

Thanks!

[quote author="fumbling" date=1249656361]by the way, the Orchard Hills clubhouse is VERY nice if available) </blockquote>

Fumbling, do you know if the Orchard Hills clubhouse has a full kitchen?

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1250028757][quote author="fumbling" date=1249656361]by the way, the Orchard Hills clubhouse is VERY nice if available) </blockquote>

Fumbling, do you know if the Orchard Hills clubhouse has a full kitchen?</blockquote>

I don't know if it has a "full kitchen" but the last time I looked at it, it had a lot of basic amenities (i.e. range, fridge, ovens, microwaves, sinks, etc...) There is a pic (pic no. 6) on website's photo gallery:

<a href="http://www.rental-living.com/Communities/Orchard-Hills/Photo-Gallery/ ">http://www.rental-living.com/Communities/Orchard-Hills/Photo-Gallery/ </a>

Good luck

What is with all the demand for IAC club houses lately? I guess it?s the recession option! Punch? this is an lesser alternative option, but go see if there are public space that can?t be reserved, such a tables, chairs and patio sectionals by the pool area? some IAC have these, just make sure to go early before the event and dump your crap all over it to ?reserve? the space. At our IAC, there are a lot of these places by a few BBQ pits? you just have to make sure you use the oven in your apt; and just wash things later back at home? I know,, there might be less privacy, but it?s already, Tuesday!!!

Yes the Orchard Hills clubhouse has a full kitchen with stainless steel fridge, gas range, microwave, sink and also a 50" plasma TV and several tables and sofas with more than enough room for 20. Also outside are two BBQs (first come first serve), next to a outdoor fireplace with seating and swimming pool. Very nice! You can call the leasing office at 714-673-6100 if you like to independently check if the date is available, good luck! I don't remember if they have ovens but you can ask the leasing office. If available and you are in the area you should stop by and check it out, you will be quite impressed.

Thanks for all your help, guys. The party was a success, and sharing my woes here on the IHB board definitely helped me retain my sanity!

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1250548426]Thanks for all your help, guys. The party was a success, and sharing my woes here on the IHB board definitely helped me retain my sanity!</blockquote>

what happened, how did you pull it off?

Back