Need help on garage door repair / replacement!

Hi all.

I need some help with a home repair for a Northpark 2000 Huntington Plan 3C (Richmond American). This being the beginning of a long, holiday weekend, of course part of our house decided to destroy itself. One of our garage doors has had a bit of a crack along the top for a few months. When I went to close it about a half hour ago, it shook so much it shattered some of the windows in the door and almost cracked the top door panel in half. I cleaned up the glass and managed to get the door shut, but I think it needs replacing.

I looked through my giant Richmond American folder and found the manual/warranty for the garage door opener but didn't see anything about the door itself. Do any of you know who manufactured the doors? More importantly, does anyone know of a company that can repair and/or replace the door? I hope we can get the matching model since the other

door is fine.

Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah / Happy New Year!

David

Your HOA should be able to tell you which model your door is. When I had to replace mine, the HOA gave me the style name that I had to buy. I went to a showroom that sold many different brands and styles and they got me exactly what I needed. (Sorry, I don't know anything about the warranty.) If you talk to someone on the board of your HOA I think that is a good place to start, though. Good luck.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1230168927]The HOA management should be more knowledgeable than the HOA board. Give them a call, and I am sure they have no problem telling you EXACTLY which model/color/texture/manufacturer you need to get, and the date it need to be installed before they send you the $250 fine.

Make sure the door opener is fine. I am sure the installer will check it, but just in case, you don't want the opener to destroy a brand new door.</blockquote>

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, the management company is closed today - and probably Friday. The openers work fine, but I'll definitely have them checked out just to be safe!

^ That's why I suggested a board member (preferably the president or V.P.) -- figuring that they are a neighbor who may be near you that you would have access to during the holiday break. In my association, the president was an old lady / busy-body who knew everything and quickly whipped out the garage door info. Maybe there is a person like that on your board so you don't have to wait for the office of the management company to open. Good luck to you.

Is this a sectional steel door that moves up and out along a track on each end? A crack in a steel door doesn't sound right.

Back