My quest for membership at the Woodbury LA Fitness

Mcdonna1980_IHB

So I've been trying to get a membership at the Woodbury LA Fitness for months. But, those dame guestopo sales people are impossible!! Here is the story behind my quest. I really want to start going to the gym but I know I"ll never keep up with it if I don't have someone to go with. My husband would be the perfect workout partner to keep me motivated. He works out 7 days a week twice a day. But he hates gyms. I thought I could convince him to join if I could just get a free trial pass to the gym. But, every time we go to the Woodbury LA Fitness on our quest for a trial run something goes terribly wrong. First time we went they would not give us a pass. Second time they offer us a pass only after the salesperson greatly offended us in a series of bizarre questioning. We never when back to us the pass because it would entail seeing that horrible sales guy. Third time we got a two week free trial in the mail but when we got there they said only one of us would be allowed in with he pass.

What gives? Does anyone go to this gym? Any tips on how to get a no hassle free trial pass?

I think the sales guy at gym are worse then the used car salesman. I called them and negotiated the rate over the phone. They faxed me the contract after the phone call, and I signed it, and dropped it off. That was last summer. $39.99 without any upfront fee other than first month, and last month. Plus they give me free kids memebership for access to their play area. They told me they were very slow, and not enough membership.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1237630552]What sort of bizarre, offensive questions was he asking? Body fat percentage?</blockquote>

Sorry I took so long to respond. I'm out a lap top right now so I have to kick my husband off his laptop to get in a post.

Weird questioning was as follows(there were some normal questions in between):

Sales guy: What is your relationship to him(my husband)?

Me: We're married

Sales guy: Really? I thought you'd be boyfriend and girlfriend.

Sales guy: Why do you want to come to the gym together?

Me: I don't know, why do you ask?

Sales guy: There are a lot of classes women tend to like if you are interested in checking them out.

Not sure where he was going with these questioning but seemed irrelavent to me

Sales guy: Do you current belong to the gym or workout?

Me: no

Husband: Yes, I work out at home with free weights, bike and run.

Sales guy: (Response to husband) You must be looking to join because your not seeing results.

Husband: No, I've lost 70 pounds in a year. I work out 7 days a week.

Sales guy: We could get you set up with training with your membership to get you where you need to be.

At this point we were offended and started to get up and leave. He then proceed to write his name on a card and told us to come back for a 3 day trial. Just to ask for him when we did. We never did return because we couldn't stand the thought of having to talk to him again.

I like the idea to negoaited via fax. I will try that.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1237628143]So I've been trying to get a membership at the Woodbury LA Fitness for months. But, those dame guestopo sales people are impossible!! Here is the story behind my quest. I really want to start going to the gym but I know I"ll never keep up with it if I don't have someone to go with. My husband would be the perfect workout partner to keep me motivated. He works out 7 days a week twice a day. But he hates gyms. I thought I could convince him to join if I could just get a free trial pass to the gym. But, every time we go to the Woodbury LA Fitness on our quest for a trial run something goes terribly wrong. First time we went they would not give us a pass. Second time they offer us a pass only after the salesperson greatly offended us in a series of bizarre questioning. We never when back to us the pass because it would entail seeing that horrible sales guy. Third time we got a two week free trial in the mail but when we got there they said only one of us would be allowed in with he pass.

What gives? Does anyone go to this gym? Any tips on how to get a no hassle free trial pass?</blockquote>
Free passes are more trouble than they are worth. If you or your husband have a corp program through work for the gym I would use that. When I worked for BofA they had a corp special where you could sign up for 24-hour Fitness for $32/month on a month-to-month agreement with no sign-up fees. Those guys sales people are worth than used car salesmen.

I go to this gym. We also had a weird experience with the initial sales process. For instance, the guy said he was throwing in towel service for free and its turns out they don't even offer this service at this site. Which is partly why the machines are often covered in sweat! So so gross. Really people you don't have towels at home? But I digress...

The upside is once you are a member you never have to deal with the sales people or management again. They sit in the desks to the far right of the building when you first walk in. The young people they have working at the desk in the evenings when I go are pleasant enough.

Deal with the GM, ditch the sales person.... I kinda have the same issue with dancing, but opposite. The owner/manager tries to get you to buy, buy, buy, with high pressure sales. I don't appreciate it. So I just purchase from the #2 person and or another sales person so I don't have to deal with it.

-bix

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1237711566]

Sales guy: What is your relationship to him(my husband)?

Me: We're married

Sales guy: Really? I thought you'd be boyfriend and girlfriend.

</blockquote>

Open mouth. Insert foot.

<blockquote>Sales guy: Why do you want to come to the gym together?

Me: I don't know, why do you ask?

Sales guy: There are a lot of classes women tend to like if you are interested in checking them out.</blockquote>

Shove further down throat.

<blockquote>Husband: Yes, I work out at home with free weights, bike and run.

Sales guy: (Response to husband) You must be looking to join because your not seeing results.

Husband: No, I've lost 70 pounds in a year. I work out 7 days a week.

Sales guy: We could get you set up with training with your membership to get you where you need to be.</blockquote>

Choke and die.

Sheesh, that's terrible. I would have not so politely told him that the backside I wanted to work on was exactly where he could kiss.

Costco has two year 24 hour fitness sports multi-club membership for $299.99! That is cheap! I am thinking about switching to that and cancel my current one which can be cancelled by giving them 30 or 60 day notice.

I was actually going to mention that a few days ago, but then thought they would be too far a drive since the McDonna seems pretty set on Woodbury. It is a great deal though.

Was happy to find a $29.99 per month LA Fitness membership offer in my mail today. Comes with a $179 set-up fee. I'm thinking I'll call them up and say I'll sign up if they wave the fee.

I really like 24 hr fitness but the Woodbury place is so close to me. I know if I have to drive a bit I'll use that as an excuse not to go.

I am a member at this location and they are seriously trying everything to get new members. They frequently run specials to add friends or family for $0 initiation fee and $29.99 per month. I have a friend who recently joined for $99. and $29.99 per month with 5 free training sessions. So that gives you an idea of the range you can pay. I would talk to Freddy or Aaron, don't waste your time with any of the others. Perhaps you could join, take hubby as a guest and then add him when they are running a special. Negotiate till you get a price you are comfortable with. Like the other poster said once you're a member the front office staff are really a nonentity. It is a very nice gym to work out at.

Back