More Democrats against the First Amendment

WINEX_IHB

<a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Conventions/story?id=5668622&page=1">Arrested for taking photographs on a public sidewalk</a>

Wow Winex, you're pretty good if you were able to get that police sergeant's name and then looking up his registration, considering that was nowhere in the article. Also, the article states that the sidewalk was owned by the hotel and was not public property. Was the article incorrect?

Fine if you want to air legitimate differences of opinion with Obama, but wholesale making up facts to fit a desired narrative is lame.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1219962217]Wow Winex, you're pretty good if you were able to get that police sergeant's name and then looking up his registration, considering that was nowhere in the article. Also, the article states that the sidewalk was owned by the hotel and was not public property. Was the article incorrect?

Fine if you want to air legitimate differences of opinion with Obama, but wholesale making up facts to fit a desired narrative is lame.</blockquote>
Oh please... the "Democrats" referred to in the title are the Senators that ABC News was there to tape, not the cops. The cops claim the sidewalk is owned by the hotel, but then arrested him 25 minutes later *across the street* from the hotel on a sidewalk which cannot possibly belong to the hotel.

You are better than this Eva and you know full well that if this were Republican Senators you would not be so blase about the incident.

[quote author="Nude" date=1219963276][quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1219962217]Wow Winex, you're pretty good if you were able to get that police sergeant's name and then looking up his registration, considering that was nowhere in the article. Also, the article states that the sidewalk was owned by the hotel and was not public property. Was the article incorrect?

Fine if you want to air legitimate differences of opinion with Obama, but wholesale making up facts to fit a desired narrative is lame.</blockquote>
Oh please... the "Democrats" referred to in the title are the Senators that ABC News was there to tape, not the cops. The cops claim the sidewalk is owned by the hotel, but then arrested him 25 minutes later *across the street* from the hotel on a sidewalk which cannot possibly belong to the hotel.

You are better than this Eva and you know full well that if this were Republican Senators you would not be so blase about the incident.</blockquote>

Ok, the producer was there to film the Democatic senators, but it was the hotel that swore out the complaint and the cops that made the arrest. The arrest was not based on his conduct at the time of his arrest, but his conduct from two hours earlier. I'm not pleased by what either of them did, but you honestly believe that the title of thread matches the content of the story? Heck, even ABC didn't go that far.

WOW

Hey Winex.

You have the first African American nominated for President in a major party

in American History.

And you want to discuss a sidewalk in Denver and a camera team that had a disagreement

with police. You go man. Your really showing your true ability to discuss the issues

at hand with this thread and how you named it.

The more you smear up this board with your dribble.

The more you lose any respect from the good people here.

i'm with eva 100%. these thread titles are getting to the point of non-sense and quite frankly serve to make winex seem like more of a troll than someone who honestly believes what he's talking about. hell, i'm a registered republican but i cringe at everything winex posts.

both parties have their agendas which they honestly believe are the right course of action. anytime i hear "republicans/democrats are against...", it's usually followed by nonsense and hyperbole. republicans are against helping the poor and protecting the environment. democrats are against christians and supporting the military. i WISH the real world were that simple. we're good, they're bad. if elected, barack obama and the democrats will strike down the first amendment. oh it's so simple, now i know who to vote for. please stop with this comic book nonsense unless you're being facetious.

i enjoy reading posts by people who understand the agenda they support, regardless of whether i share the same views. folks like skek, nude, and troop.

I have been enjoying watching those segments on ABC.

I am sure they will do the same thing to the Repubs, and they

will be equally guilty.

I'm sure that ABC news loves that this happened. They get to

make the demos look like phony idiots. They get to make it a

super big deal.

Sidewalks almost never "belong" to the adjacent owner. At most

there is a reversionary right to ownership if the sidewalk is unneeded

in the future for some reason.

Or, in the alternative, there is an easement in favor of the walking

public.

Does anyone think the hotel decided to do this on its own? No doubt

someone called the hotel management and made a big stink. Could

have been a lobbiest, unknown to the party; could have been a democratic

bigwig. No doubt some assistant to the hotel or lobby group or party leader

will be made to fall on a sword, and said, yes, I did it on my own, and

be fired to be rewarded privately.

Or, possibly we'll never know.

The important issue is that the real convention is being held in these

smoke or booze filled rooms and not in public sight at all. Earlier,

everybody knew there were smoke filled rooms--before TV. That fact

seems to have been forgotten, and ABC is reminding us.

If this same thing doesn't happen to the Reps, I will eat my hat.

The police must be idiots to do this in front of a national news team, which

was filming, and then not to be respectful. Lord knows how they treat

actual criminals, if they can't not say the f-word in front of a filming

team of newsies.

In short, there is the apparent gov't and then there is the actual gov't,

which includes the apparent gov't and a whole lot more that we'll never

know about. I'm not sure if it has ever been different.

Liz, it is common that private establishments obtain permits to limit the sidewalk portion in front of their places of business. This is usually done during special events, and it is almost exclusively done for the purpose of limiting protests and media. The Church of Scientology does it at least once a month in Hollywood and it is quite legal.

Protesters and media are allowed to assemble close by, usually at a place that has been predetermined by the local police entity. Across the street, where the officer "assisted" him to, seemed to provide a fine view of the patrons entering and exiting the hotel.

I'm guessing that's what happened here. If so, the reporter is just another "gotcha" journalist trying to create a name for himself. If he'd just listened to the officers request, then demand, none of this would have happened. Sometimes we are forced to act and this is such a case.

I'm tired of the flack that cops take from armchair quarterbacks. Like Chief Bratton says, "Police work isn't pretty." But when you refuse an order, prepare to suffer the consequences. (hand to the neck is a little much, I admit)

Yes, we use the *f* word sometimes and I'm sorry if that bothers your delicate sensibilities. The language is allowed in certain circumstances. For the record, and I listened 3 times, I never heard any cop use the F word, or make a physical threat. More media sensationalism, unless someone can direct me to a link where I can hear it.

Also, I'm thinking that the Boulder (read: outside entity assisting in Denver) might have called Denver to make the arrest, and they were too busy to get there right away. Taking 2 hours to get to a radio call is nothing new. I'm sure they had more pressing things occurring in Denver than this.

Most cops are Republicans BTW, there is no agenda here WINEX. I happen to be the exception to the rule. If the hotel signed the complaint, we are obligated to make an arrest. Simple as that. The cops were probably more pissed that they had to waste their time with this idiot.

So how about getting the whole story before you come to conclusions.

Bush started the policy that protests could be limited to "free speech zones". I am very disappointed that the Democrats seemed to have picked up on that.

Oh, Bush didn't start it, believe me. I was in Fullerton when 1996 when Bob Dole (or was it Kemp?) passed through the train station on his way to the convention in San Diego, doing the historical train thing. Any protesters were supposed to be limited to an area off to the side where the politician and supporters could not see you.

[quote author="WINEX" date=1219956385]<a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Conventions/story?id=5668622&page=1">Arrested for taking photographs on a public sidewalk</a></blockquote>

More hypocrisy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lyaMrS0hzk">Here's a link to a video of woman who was cited and threatened with arrest for having a McCain = Bush sign at a McCain townhall meeting.</a>

Again, this boils down to the property owner (the convention venue) asking her to leave. This is private property. They can ask anyone to leave. If they don't, they can be arrested or cited.

This is not a Dem or Rep issue, it's a legal issue.

Was the reporter actually asked to leave? I don't think

anybody said.

I have been known to use the f word. I would never do so

while camera were rolling!!

Bottom line is that the dems who claim to be the party of the

people are sensitive to the fact that, bottom line, there are just

as bought off as the repubs.

I expect the media to do a number on the repubs.

Convention may be delayed because of Gustav. Lots of wilting

balloons in the rafters.

The lady may have been a brilliant political stoke (not sure of that,

but some think so), but she cant possibly run the country if the

wrinkly white guy dies.

The hub said O can't attack because she's inexperienced, because

he's inexperienced.

This is all loathsome.

<em>Was the reporter actually asked to leave? I don?t think

anybody said.

I have been known to use the f word. I would never do so

while camera were rolling!! </em>

Yes, you can clearly hear the officer asking him to move. I'm sure the request happened several more times prior to the convenient (read: edited) footage rolled.

Again, I did not hear the F word uttered. It's simply not said, listen to the video yourself.

Back