Minivan Thread

I have had Honda Odyssey for 9+ years now.  Very reliable with sheduled maintenance only so far except the clock backlight.  Also had  four other Toyota and Honda vehicles without any problem for 25+ years combined.  It will be very hard to pry me off Honda or Toyota.  I will wait at least a few more years before I jump on Korean made vehicle.  I know they look good and they have good short term reliablity, but I like to keep my vehicle 10+ years.

2011-Toyota-Sienna-XLE-002.jpg

2011-honda-odyssey-concept-1.jpg

They both look so nice.. hmmm which one to get?? I actually kinda like the design of sienna better than the odyssey.

The one exterior feature I liked about the Siennas over the Odysseys is they hide the sliding door track under the rear windows, so it looks less obvious. And the rear quarter windows on the Sienna pop out, the Hondas don't. The bad thing about the 2011 is those rear quarters used to be power pop-out windows... not anymore.

True story - my dual income no kids household has a toyota sienna.  It is, in fact, the exact same sienna my mom drives in a different color and with slightly upgraded features. 

My boyfriend was EXCITED to get a minivan, we both grew up with one so we know how sweet they are for practical things.  We took 5 people to tahoe with ski gear and luggage for a week.  Its the best thing for moving most things - just cant' use it for larger furniture, but at a certain point you just need a uhaul.  My mom loves hers, she uses it for transporting plants, dogs, etc.  Actually hers has 3 of the seats basically permanently removed at this point.

To be honest though, we probably wouldn't have bought a minivan over a little sedan - the gas mileage is certainly a lot worse and they cost a lot more brand new.  But my friend's stepmom was selling hers and they offered to give it to us for 1500 off bluebook and we were living with only one car at the time.  But they are REALLY convenient and we certainly enjoy having it, both for the space and for the ability to put 5 full grown adults in a car comfortably with bags and whatever else, and we get to make large purchases on a whim and stuff.    I'm the only person among my coworkers wiht out kids AND the only person with a mini van.

Talyssa said:
True story - my dual income no kids household has a toyota sienna.  It is, in fact, the exact same sienna my mom drives in a different color and with slightly upgraded features. 

My boyfriend was EXCITED to get a minivan, we both grew up with one so we know how sweet they are for practical things.  We took 5 people to tahoe with ski gear and luggage for a week.  Its the best thing for moving most things - just cant' use it for larger furniture, but at a certain point you just need a uhaul.  My mom loves hers, she uses it for transporting plants, dogs, etc.  Actually hers has 3 of the seats basically permanently removed at this point.

To be honest though, we probably wouldn't have bought a minivan over a little sedan - the gas mileage is certainly a lot worse and they cost a lot more brand new.  But my friend's stepmom was selling hers and they offered to give it to us for 1500 off bluebook and we were living with only one car at the time.  But they are REALLY convenient and we certainly enjoy having it, both for the space and for the ability to put 5 full grown adults in a car comfortably with bags and whatever else, and we get to make large purchases on a whim and stuff.    I'm the only person among my coworkers wiht out kids AND the only person with a mini van.
That's too funny.  Did you at least lower it or put some cool rims on it?  haha

irvinehomeowner said:
Talyssa said:
I'm the only person among my coworkers wiht out kids AND the only person with a mini van.
Don't let anyone fool you... minivans are cooler than iPhones and jean marks.

My husband and brother-in-law both think minivans are really cool. They like the slidey doors. I'm starting to think that minivan lust is some kind of man thing.

Don't get me wrong, I think minivans are practical for hauling people and stuff, but I wouldn't call them "cool."

Back