Mercado Gonzales on Harbor and Wilson, Costa Mesa

Drove through the lot last night and this place had a line around the block! Hope to try it when the crowds settle down….anyone get to go inside this past weekend? How was it?

We went. It is an awesome setup. Lots of food different options of food. We went around 8pm on Saturday night so there was no line to get in. The churro line was insane though. Would definitely recommend.

Sounds a bit like Cravings by 99 Ranch in Chino. I like the concept and I'm not sure why it hasn't taken off more. I think the H-Mart implementation of it at Culver/Irvine Blvd is fine but could use more restaurants and more money into the actual execution of the spaces. There's also Mendo at Whole Foods Jamboree/District and the smaller options at Zion Market on Irvine Blvd for smaller-scale food court/grocery that is nicer than say, a Costco food court.

edit: Totally forgot about 99 Ranch and Wholesome Choice food courts in Irvine, though both are a little sad and could use love. Gelsons also has a limited bar/food situation that.

I am excited about the range of foods that are hardly represented in Irvine. The imported ingredients and ideas are just gorgeous from what I can see online. Tamales, churros, fruit, ceviche, tacos….🌮

This kind of real estate in Irvine would be cost prohibitive. That's why the Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa is larger than the Irvine one. Does Tokyo Central have a food court since they are opening one in Irvine?

This is a nice place. Glad they opened one close by. Now just need to figure out what to eat. :)

Turns out most of the places don't open until 11am.

Picked up some tamales... churros line was too long... maybe next time. Headed to Hole Mole down the street. :)

Even stopped by Tokyo Central on the way back... sort of gave me an HMart/Zion vibe. We'll see what the Irvine one is like.

Went on a Sunday and waited 25 minutes for some pork tacos. We divided and conquered and had some seafood and Mexican sushi. The pork chicharron was insanely good but the other items were just okay. I think it's a fun way to spend a slow or lazy weekend if you treat it like Disneyland and expect lines. I'm glad it exists but personally I would prefer if the Carnitas Don Miguel place was on uber eats so I could pay a little money to skip the line!

Back