Master Shower: To show or not to show?

irvinehomeowner

As I've looked at numerous homes and floorplans, there was a trend that I liked about master showers that builders seem to be reversing on recently, the private master shower.

In most homes built in the 80s and early 90s, the master shower was usually connected to the master tub (as opposed to the old style shower+tub you now see in secondary bathrooms). While this was nice to have a separate shower, it would create a shower that usually had two clear walls on a corner.

In newer homes, the master shower is actually self contained, while it could still be connected to the master tub, there would be a small wall between both giving it more privacy. In other executions, the master shower was completely on its own and contained by 3 walls with the only glass being the door. This was more prevalent in the homes built in the early-mid 2000s. This is the type of master shower execution I like most because not only does it give you more privacy, it retains temperature better, keeps moisture from creeping out to the main area of the master bathroom and presents a more spa-like feel.

Lately, specifically in homes in the 2010 Collection in Irvine, while the master shower is still separate from the tub, they are not including that 3rd wall so even though the shower it on it's own, it is still pretty much open to the rest of the bathroom cutting down on the privacy. Why the builders couldn't just complete the wall (they built the top part of it) is beyond me but I think it may have come down to making the bathroom feel less closed in and some cost concerns as a wall of glass may be less expensive and work intensive than a wall that has to be tiled.

What are your preferences?

I think they mainly have 2 glass walls to make the bathroom look spacious.  The thick frameless glass walls are not that cheap and may be even more than tiling a wall.

As for the personal preference, it may depend on how hot your spouse is.

Back