Market selling Hawaiian food products

NoWowway_IHB

I've got a great book on Poke Bowl recipes. However some of the ingredients are decidedly hawaiian - special nuts, special seaweeds, etc...

Does anyone know if there is there a market that sells Hawaiian food staples, locally? Thanks for any help.

I have not yet checked Ranch 99, but thought I would ask about speciality stores first!

No Marukai in Irvine? I know they sell prepared poke, but I'm not sure if they sell the limu. Just curious what kind of "special nuts" are needed? I thought only the macadamia was indigenous to Hawaii.

I'm in Hawaii now. I like that a lot of supermarkets (even Costco) have a variety of poke on hand. I have a 1/2 lb in the fridge from my 2nd day here.

For you haoles, "poke" (pronounced pokeh, sometimes pokey) is sliced/cubed raw seafood seasoned with sea salt, chiles, sugar, soy sauce, etc.

There are quite a few recipes in this little book by Sam Choy.

Here are some of the ingredients needed for a variety of recipes:

ogo seaweed

limu kohu (red seaweed)

limu huluhulu weana (dark red seaweed)

limu lipoa (flavor is the "essence of the ocean")

'inamona (condiment made of roasted, crushed and salted kukui nuts - they suggest substituting cashews, if you don't have it)

tobiko ( flying fish roe)

pepeiao akua (tree fungus)

I listed the more unusual ingredients for several of the recipes. However, if I could just find the Limu kohu and the 'inamona I could make the classic varieties of Poke, easily.

Thanks to everyone's suggestion and aloha to big D!

Back