Looking for used minivan

momopi

Originally I had wanted to buy a new Toyota Sienna hybrid, but I realized the minivan would only be used on weekends to take the family + grandparents on outings (5 adults + baby).

So I think a cheaper used model is acceptable.  The general opinion is that the Sienna last longer, but they also cost a lot more in used market.  Hopefully the used car market will cool off further this year.

I'm thinking something around $10k-$20k.  I'm not afraid of high mileage vehicles (my train station/backup Camry has ~250k miles) and am fine with using white out to patch small chips on white paint (on white car).  I can also retrofit aftermarket GPS/entertainment system and blind spot sensors.

If you own an older minivan, please let me know your experience.

I have 2012 Odyssey Touring level. It?s our road trip car.  117F, AC blowing cold and no issues running up Chiaraco Summit with flow of traffic.  Plenty of power left to maneuver at free flow freeway speeds on the OC - Phoenix run.  Brakes are solid, good traction, corners well without being floaty or sway.  Responsive transmission. Good highway mileage.  Physically comfortable for long trips.

Electronics are good, NAV, integrated single entertainment LCD. Old enough USB port, power ports are in short supply.

As for recommendation, I have no intention of selling or trading mine in anytime soon.

I have a preference for Siennas? Toyota in general.

Anything 2011+ (3rd Gen) should be good.

I don?t think there is good value in used depending on how old because of the elevated prices, but you can still find a deal via private party.

momopi said:
Based on crash test & safety reports I?m leaning toward 2014 Honda Odyssey.

My wife drives a 2014 Odyssey and it has been a good car overall.  Very practical.  One issue they are known for, and that we have had, is that the transmission doesn't always shift smoothly between 1st and 2nd gear.
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles/honda-odyssey-transmission-problems-big-deal-or-no

Clunking and Jerking Noises
Another problem was found in the 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey. In these vehicles, owners reported the transmission made a clunking or loud, unexplained noise. Some also reporting that when switching gears, the vehicle would jerk heavily. Some drivers reported this happening randomly.

Honda did not issue a recall for this or a repair but did have technicians take a look at the transmissions in these vehicles to ensure they were in good condition.

They noted that the problem could be related to a needed transmission flush. When performed, this seemed to stop the problem from occurring. Some drivers reported having to have the transmission replaced, but this was not as common as other repair options.

We did a transmission flush which seemed to clear the problem up for awhile, but it has since returned.  One shop wanted us to replace our transmission about four years ago, but I decided not to listen to them, and the transmission is still going strong at about 100,000 miles.

Liar there's TSB for that.
https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b414537/

Never mind, you already did that.

Liar Loan said:
momopi said:
Based on crash test & safety reports I?m leaning toward 2014 Honda Odyssey.

My wife drives a 2014 Odyssey and it has been a good car overall.  Very practical.  One issue they are known for, and that we have had, is that the transmission doesn't always shift smoothly between 1st and 2nd gear.
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles/honda-odyssey-transmission-problems-big-deal-or-no

Clunking and Jerking Noises
Another problem was found in the 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey. In these vehicles, owners reported the transmission made a clunking or loud, unexplained noise. Some also reporting that when switching gears, the vehicle would jerk heavily. Some drivers reported this happening randomly.

Honda did not issue a recall for this or a repair but did have technicians take a look at the transmissions in these vehicles to ensure they were in good condition.

They noted that the problem could be related to a needed transmission flush. When performed, this seemed to stop the problem from occurring. Some drivers reported having to have the transmission replaced, but this was not as common as other repair options.

We did a transmission flush which seemed to clear the problem up for awhile, but it has since returned.  One shop wanted us to replace our transmission about four years ago, but I decided not to listen to them, and the transmission is still going strong at about 100,000 miles.

Weird but both of my friends who have Odysseys have had transmission issues.

There are probably similar issues with the Sienna... I know my sliding door was wonky at times... but I miss sliding doors.

I am still rocking in 2008 Honda Odyssey. Cant live w/o it. Hauling TV, mattress, washing machines w/o breaking a sweat. No major issues. Only complaint is that it has 15mpg.

Danimal said:
I am still rocking in 2008 Honda Odyssey. Cant live w/o it. Hauling TV, mattress, washing machines w/o breaking a sweat. No major issues. Only complaint is that it has 15mpg.

I have to agree the interior space is unbelievable.  I've read that it has the same cubic ft. as a Suburban for hauling stuff with the seats taken out / folded down.  I can fit five kids plus surfboards and other gear when heading to the beach.

The 2014 gets 28 highway mileage if I remember correctly.

Hi All,

I've filtered the choices down to the following based on crash test data:

2015+ Toyota Sienna
2014+ Honda Odyssey
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica
2015+ Kia Sedona

IIHS has their crash test videos on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZC8Ykl1esE

Data on web site:https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/odyssey-minivan/2014

Vehicles excluded from my list are earlier models, and following brands:  Ford, Dodge, VW, Mazda, Nissan:https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/nissan/quest/2015

My current choices put the cost closer to $20K range.  If you're looking to buy used, I highly recommend checking carfax for accident and maintenance records.  For example, if you're buying a high mileage Odyssey, you want to check if timing belt has been replaced.  If not, then then it'd cost you $1k.  Also, if you want features like blind spot detection (BSD), it may be better to buy a higher end model with BSD instead of installing one aftermarket ($1400).

I've also noticed some dealerships are lazy or lack supervision.  Lots of staff sitting around doing nothing while the interior of the cars left dirty.  You don't really need much training to use a spray bottle, brush and vacuum cleaner on car interior.  Professional car wash grade steam cleaners on roller cart (for carpets) are about $2,000 and would make the car interior much cleaner.  But no.  The salesperson said, "not my job" and "if you buy it, you can pay someone to steam clean it".  What?

Some dealers like Shift and Hertz offer 1-week guaranteed returns.  Shift will even deliver the used car to you for test drive.  However, if you plan to visit Shift, you need to book appointment at least a day ahead.  Without appointment, you might be able to let you see the car on lot but not test drive it.

Notes on Toyota Sienna:
2015-2020 Sienna has reinforced driver's side cage; however, this was not extended to the front passenger side (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a22749780/minivans-iihs-front-passenger-crash-tests/).  Thus, this minivan has some risk to front passenger leg injury, but still far better than certain competitors where you might be crippled.  The 2021+ model has remedied this issue.

Of the four minivan models that we've tried, the Sienna gave the best "elbow room" inside.  This includes grandparents test in rear row.  For long distance trips this will help reduce fatigue.  I can see why Sienna is popular with highest resale value.  As matter of fact the grandparents offered to chip in $$ if we buy a Sienna with the pull-down sunshades.  As an interesting feature Sienna's have a large cubbyhole on left side of trunk to store the removable center seat from center row.  The space would be prefect to store emergency backpacks/supplies/first aid kits and still allow rear seat to fold down flat.

For used 2015 models you're looking at $18k-$22k+.  Not cheap.

Notes on Honda Odyssey:
2014+ Honda Odyssey has some of the best safety ratings.  It's also a couple grand less vs Sienna on resale market.  The infotainment system is basically same as what they used on my wife's Acura.  Instead of radar blind spots detector you may find models with a camera fitted to front passenger side mirror.  They eventually discontinued the camera and went with BSD system.

Grandparents test in rear row:  despite the Odyssey having comparable or better legroom and headroom on paper, the shape of the van gave a more cramped feel which may result with more fatigue on longer trips.  They demand the Sienna.

For used 2014 models you're looking at $15K-$16K+.

Notes on Chrysler Pacifica:
2017+ Pacifica has improved safety ratings ranked higher than Sienna.  Interior elbow space is somewhat comparable to the Honda Odyssey.  If you want one Hertz has a large inventory of 2019 models with 70k-75k miles starting at low $20K range: https://www.hertzcarsales.com

The Pacifica's interior feels less refined to Honda or Toyota, but acceptable.  The 2nd row bucket seat might be a bit cramped for bigger folks.  In the used market the 2017 models are priced comparable to 2014-2015 Odyssey.  Will take Grandparents to inspect one tomorrow.

Noes on Kia Sedona:
2015 Sedona also has high safety ratings.  However, be warned that this is a vanilla minivan with lower price point to match.  Later models have improved interior at higher price.  We went to see a 2015 base model and it felt like a car made in 1980's.  Still, it's a bargain at ~$12k.  But I don't think the grandparents will like it.

I wish Sienna hadn't reduced the 2nd rows middle seats size. The newer model's middle seat would only work for babies.

My 2016 sienna fold out middle seat is really shitty if you are driving long distances...so uncomfortable.
The odyssey was much more robust.

After having both vans, I now prefer the honda even though I still own the toyota.

There is a very limited supply of used 2018 hybrid Pacifica on the market, and they are priced over $30k.

Since I only plan to use the minivan on weekends to haul family + in-law's, the >$10K price difference vs 2019 Pacifica makes the hybrid model no-go.

The middle seat in 2nd row is a bonus option but will most like go unused, other than holding toys for baby in car seat.

Update:  Bought used 2015 Sienna SE, $20K.  110k miles on the odo.  We had an inspector check it out at the dealership before purchasing, then took it to our mechanic after.  Needed a replacement battery hold down kit (the dealership's mechanic somehow lost it), mechanically everything was in good working condition.  One previous owner who had the minivan serviced regularly at Toyota dealership.

We missed out on a better deal for a 2015 XLE with 90k miles.  By the time we drove to the dealer (for 3rd time) someone bought it just before we got there.

If you're in the market for used minivan, there is a steady supply coming in every week.  But if you find one that you really like at acceptable price, I'd suggest buying it sooner than later.  If you wait, some dealers will drop price but you risk someone else snatching it.

Curious why the Sequoia wasn't a consideration. Same gas mileage, but bigger and more versatile (I previously owned one, so yeah, I've got bias in this post). Might be a tight fit in a typical Irvine garage.

Saw a 2006 (old body style, my preference) for $16k with 93k miles recently with most 2010 and newer coming in close to your Sienna's price and mileage.

In my experience, minivans have a more efficient use of a similar body shape in terms of usable space for passengers and/or cargo. Same for creature comforts and ingress/egress. It's a different type of versatility than being able to occasionally go off road a little or tow.

Back