Longevity of vinyl windows.

bkshopr_IHB

Vinyl window is the builders choice of material. The selection was made based on cost. It is the cheapest.

Many research shown vinyl windows will last about 20 years. Others begin to experience problems in 10 years.

<a href="http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:TcSFJdyTZjgJ:ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg022047351178.html+vinyl+window+life+expectancy&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">Vinyl window from the experts </a>

From my own experience 3 vinyl windows failed in 4 years.

1. Condensation trapped between dual glazed glass.

2. Lower leaf did not stay up (defective springs)

3. Bottom track warped inward prevented leaf from sliding in. I could not lock the window as a result because the latch were offset. I used an old trick with a stick to lock the window.

When I sold my home I applied heat to the vinyl to fool the home inspector. Once the window is opened the leaf would not slide back in. The inspector never got to the defective window because I placed bulky awkward drapery and lampshade in front of it.

Speaking of windows, are there windows that are more soundproof than dual-paned?

A few years back, I saw some windows that had a thicker "slice" of air between the panes that claimed it was more soundproof than standard dual pane. Does such an animal exist?

(as you can tell... I have issues with external noise)

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255661993]Speaking of windows, are there windows that are more soundproof than dual-paned?

A few years back, I saw some windows that had a thicker "slice" of air between the panes that claimed it was more soundproof than standard dual pane. Does such an animal exist?

(as you can tell... I have issues with external noise)</blockquote>

Try (2) 10 cents ear plugs.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255661993]Speaking of windows, are there windows that are more soundproof than dual-paned?

(as you can tell... I have issues with external noise)</blockquote>
There is a company local to Washington, Penguin Windows, that has triple-pane windows and in a home near ours that has them installed closing the window is like hitting the mute button on the TV.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255661993]A few years back, I saw some windows that had a thicker "slice" of air between the panes that claimed it was more soundproof than standard dual pane</blockquote>Yes, some have an inch of space and supposedly will reduce noise. They had better dB numbers so it should help.

I found this site but it seem like they will be ugly. And the price seems high considering there is no tear-out and they're basically installing them inside:

<a href="http://www.soundproofwindows.com">http://www.soundproofwindows.com</a>

Kind of reminds me of those windows and doors that have the blinds inside of them.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255669954]How do you get ventilation when the window in closed from noise. Do you then run your AC 24/7 ?</blockquote>
The inner window opens too.

When you have external noise, you usually don't open your windows. That's what ceiling fans, floor fans and AC is for... heh.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255670095][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255669954]How do you get ventilation when the window in closed from noise. Do you then run your AC 24/7 ?</blockquote>
The inner window opens too.

When you have external noise, you usually don't open your windows. That's what ceiling fans, floor fans and AC is for... heh.</blockquote>

Where are the inner windows? and How could the inner windows being farther away be quieter when the lot size is a postage stamp?

Running all that mechanical equipments really run up your electrical bill. Exercise energy conservation! You can save 2 kinds of green.

And that's the problem with living in a location with external noise... you can't open the windows to use natural ventilation and save 2 kinds of green.

Location, location, location for ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255673650]And that's the problem with living in a location with external noise... you can't open the windows to use natural ventilation and save 2 kinds of green.

Location, location, location for ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.</blockquote>

North Tustin is very quiet.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255673650]And that's the problem with living in a location with external noise... you can't open the windows to use natural ventilation and save 2 kinds of green.

Location, location, location for ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.</blockquote>

I'm senseing...that shithole Villages of Columbus.

Back