Location ideas : High walkability and reasonable

gaab

Before I commit myself 100% to Irvine, I'm hoping to get a few more options to look at during my trip to SO Cal at the end of March.

Main needs:

1. new or fairly new (5-6 years or so) SFR with 4-bedrooms, 3 baths and parking for at least 2
2. Walkability to most of lifes needs - i.e. grocery store and schools within a 15 minute bike ride
3. Good schools

I'm looking at Lake Forest but most of the life essentials are just outside of that range

Any other ideas ?

gaab

Serrano Heights in the east side of Orange is fairly new (built out in 2000-2003) and has good schools (kids go to anaheim hills schools). There are no grocery stores that you can walk to though.

[quote author="gaab"]Before I commit myself 100% to Irvine, I'm hoping to get a few more options to look at during my trip to SO Cal at the end of March.

Main needs:

1. new or fairly new (5-6 years or so) SFR with 4-bedrooms, 3 baths and parking for at least 2
2. Walkability to most of lifes needs - i.e. grocery store and schools within a 15 minute bike ride
3. Good schools

I'm looking at Lake Forest but most of the life essentials are just outside of that range

Any other ideas ?

gaab[/quote]
Take a look at South Mission Viejo (off Oso near Felipe). San Jaquin Hills in Laguna Niguel (S&S home development) and Aliso Viejo might work as well. There's a newer home development in Costa Mesa by South Coast Plaza (I believe it's between Fairview and Bear just north of Sunflower).

Melinda Heights, RSM. Vons is nearby, as is a Ralphs. The elementary schools are excellent. The community as a whole is surrounded by open space.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

[quote author="pebbles"]
[quote author="gaab"]Thank you for the suggestions, still checking each area closely. As an example of a good location (for me) is the Costa Mesa area. The streets listed have homes with a walk score of 74 out of 100 (very walkable) - for example : http://www.walkscore.com/get-score.php?street=941+azalea+drive+costa+mesa&go=Go

[/quote]
Do some more research of Costa Mesa. It may be walkable, but you may not want to walk certain areas of Costa Mesa.[/quote]

I can't believe how ignorant this comment is.

which areas in particular would *YOU* not want to walk in?

In my years in the area, I've never read/heard about any street crime in costa mesa like a mugging. The only significant crime is hispanic gang related, and even that is both quite rare, and restricted to a few areas with lots of multi-unit housing.

The area around the Azalea house that the OP pointed to is quite safe 24/7.

Tustin, mostly areas closer to Tustin Ranch, you might be interested in. The older areas will have larger lots and more parking. I live in Tustin Ranch and I walk to the grocery store, restaurants, etc.

[quote author="FreedomCM"]
[quote author="pebbles"]
Do some more research of Costa Mesa. It may be walkable, but you may not want to walk certain areas of Costa Mesa.[/quote]

I can't believe how ignorant this comment is.

which areas in particular would *YOU* not want to walk in?

In my years in the area, I've never read/heard about any street crime in costa mesa like a mugging. The only significant crime is hispanic gang related, and even that is both quite rare, and restricted to a few areas with lots of multi-unit housing.

The area around the Azalea house that the OP pointed to is quite safe 24/7.
[/quote]

Well, USC mentioned the Armstrong Ranch development (I'm pretty sure, it is at Macarthur and Bear). Those are large, late-model homes but they are across the railroad tracks (on the devs northern border) from some of the rougher areas of town. They are by SCP but technically Santa Ana (they marketed them as "South Coast Metro" of course, LOL). So I guess your points about Costa Mesa are not being challenged there <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

MacArthur and anything is a mile from Costa Mesa. Azalea is pretty inaccessible from whatever barrio you are worried about, due to being isolated by SCP, the 405, and walls surrounding Fairview, Sunflower, South Coast and the mall.

Additionally, I have friends who live just north of MacArthur around Flower (is this "Armstrong Ranch"?) and there has been no crime i that area for the past 5 years. Who knows, going forward, but currently it is quite safe.

Back