Junior First LEGO League

My 6 year old son has a multi-year long passion for LEGO and is now quite advanced in building sets that are designed for 10-11 years olds and up. We are looking to enhance his interests in LEGO by joining Junior First LEGO League here in Irvine/Tustin area.

Here is the linkhttp://www.usfirst.org/community/jfll/default.aspx?id=818

Does any of you know about these teams or about FIRST alltogether? If there is nothng like that exists in the area, which I doubt, would anyone be intersted to start a new team?

Please let me know!

The Irvine Spring/Summer Activity Guide has an "engineering" session for kids in it.... using Lego's. Myself and kayochan are thinking of signing our boys up for it. Maybe you would like to join too. I will have to hunt down a link.

Thank you very much! If you can send a link or give a few more specifics it would be wonderful! I tried to find it myself but besides "Science Bonanza" didn't find anything. Where exactly in Irvine is it offered?

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1241837995]Thank you very much! If you can send a link or give a few more specifics it would be wonderful! I tried to find it myself but besides "Science Bonanza" didn't find anything. Where exactly in Irvine is it offered?</blockquote>

Try this link to see if it works (same info as the Adobe file of the activity guide except that takes longer to open):

<a href="https://quickreg.ci.irvine.ca.us/Activities/ActivitiesDetails.asp?ProcessWait=N&aid=3521">Pre-Engineering Fundamentals</a>

We're looking at the one for July. There is also a higher level one just called Engineering Fundamentals but that's for boys ages 8+.

It's located <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=10+Federation+Way++IRVINE+CA,+92612&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,4006608555455240106&ei=RJkESs38IoOmNZbs_L0G&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1">here</a>.

Thank you so much!

This is exactly what I was hoping to find!

We will choose the June session since I already signed up my kids for summer camp for straight 8 weeks. How old are your boys? Are they into LEGO as well? Maybe we should start up LEGO club?

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1241843871]Thank you so much!

We will choose the June session since I already signed up my kids for summer camp for straight 8 weeks. How old are your boys? Are they into LEGO as well? Maybe we should start up LEGO club?</blockquote>

Mine are 3 and 5. They do enjoy Legos but probably not as engineer-ically (is that a word?) advanced as yours. I'm always up for meeting with other groups of boys. There are a ton of bloggers here with little ones and many little boys. Let's have a Lego night. :lol: (I'm envisioning an IAC club house, lots of PB&J sandwiches, and a million Legos.) :lol:

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1241844393][quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1241843871]Thank you so much!

We will choose the June session since I already signed up my kids for summer camp for straight 8 weeks. How old are your boys? Are they into LEGO as well? Maybe we should start up LEGO club?</blockquote>

Mine are 3 and 5. They do enjoy Legos but probably not as engineer-ically (is that a word?) advanced as yours. I'm always up for meeting with other groups of boys. There are a ton of bloggers here with little ones and many little boys. Let's have a Lego night. :lol: (I'm envisioning an IAC club house, lots of PB&J sandwiches, and a million Legos.) :lol:</blockquote>

I'm all for it! We just moved to Irvine and do not have that many friends yet.

By the way, just registered for the Pre-engineering class for June - join in :)

Hello:

My son is also a passionate Lego builder and I'm looking to find a weekly club or seasonal camp for him. Did anyone start the Junior First Lego League in Irvine since this thread started?

Thanks!

Up here in SV our local parks and rec dept has the Lego Engineering curriculum. My son took the first class this summer, and for that week he couldn't wait to wake up every day and go. I am now motivated to start a Lego team in our area after seeing that link. Thanks.

My son has a three week fall break from his elementary school starting next week and I'm frantically seeking a Fall Lego Camp for him. If anyone knows of any in Orange County area, please let me know. Thanks!

If you want your kids to have any geek cred, do them a favor and don't teach them to refer to the building blocks as "LEGOs" or "LEGO's". They'll get eaten alive by the alpha-geeks for that ... :p

[quote author="propswest" date=1253648064]Hello:

My son is also a passionate Lego builder and I'm looking to find a weekly club or seasonal camp for him. Did anyone start the Junior First Lego League in Irvine since this thread started?

Thanks!</blockquote>
I started this thread back in early summer hoping to find something and with not so much luck. Guess what, I finally found it last week!

There is a school in Irvine called k12 Math-Robotics-Computers located near Jeffrey and the 5 freeway. Here is their websitehttp://www.mathobotix.com/

There is a wonderful program for all age kids where they teach to think and be creative. They are also part of First LEGO League movement.

If you decide to sign your son up for lessons please mention my name so we can get some credits!

I can PM my name.

New_to_Irvine,

Thanks a lot for posting this information. My 5.5 year old boy is crazy about Legos. He can do 1000 piece legos by himself with very little help from me. I just called that school, they seems to have quite bit of openings. I was told they have 20 plus kids in the Lego League ranging from 1st grade to middle school. We might go check that place out this afternoon after soccer practice. They have daily classes from 5pm to 7pm for Jr. League. ~ $160 a month, with a two hr weekly class. Sounds a bit expensive.

Anyone else might be interested in this?

It's actually 2 2-hour sessions per week. One session is with instructor learning new things and another session is called "Lab" - supervised practice. It comes down to about $10 per hour. There are not so many kids in each class. What days are you planning to take? We took Wed 5 to 7 and Fri 3 to 5.

Hi new-to-irvine:

Thanks for posting the info! We took our son to the Robotics class yesterday and he loved it! He was the only 6 year old there with others starting at 8. He did a great job putting together his first project. Is there a way we can schedule a time together for all 6 year olds?

Please PM me. Thanks!

Back