Jenny Hart or Good Shepard Preschool

gld42_IHB

We are in a process of selecting preschool. One is Jenny Hart, the other one is Good Shepard. Good Shepard is $100 more every month. in term of Philosophy, I think GSP is pure play oriented, Jenny Hart is play and academic combination ?? ( i might be wrong.) Do anyone can give some comments on those two preschools?

[quote author="gld42" date=1241500234]We are in a process of selecting preschool. One is Jenny Hart, the other one is Good Shepard. Good Shepard is $100 more every month. in term of Philosophy, I think GSP is pure play oriented, Jenny Hart is play and academic combination ?? ( i might be wrong.) Do anyone can give some comments on those two preschools?</blockquote>

After taking a tour and speaking to the teachers at G.S., my opinion is that it's a hybrid of developmental and academic philosophies. I would recommend visiting the school, meeting the teachers, and get their handouts. They have a lesson plan. For example the day I was there, they were teaching a letter. The children could chose to learn the letter by tracing it on a hand-out at the table, or gluing dried macaroni to the hand-out to form the letter, shaping it out of playdough, or drawing it with chalk on a blackboard, and other various ways so the child can choose how they want to learn. They keep the children on a schedule with various group activities (circle time) and individual activities. One of their sheets addresses what is learned at the school. It says "when planning each month's small group times, GS teachers are required to plan activities that address the following skill areas: fine motor, large motor, Bible activities, science, letter/number exposure, multicultural awareness, safety, sign language, manners, language, woodworking, and gardening."

I visited a few others that said they were self-directed. One I went to, seemed to have little to no cohesiveness so in my mind that is what I would consider pure play oriented. I liked that this school has large tables for kids to sit where they can focus on their work. I saw them engaging in the group activities. I was looking for an academic preschool and chose this one. The only thing I didn't really like is that I think they said they don't send homework home. But I'm just going to pick up some age-appropriate workbooks (you can even get these at the drug store) and I will supplement with those. They are fun to do and educational, also inexpensive. My son will start in a year. I did not tour Jenny Hart because I'm going to be using a half-day program so GS is more reasonable priced for that. I hope this helps. You will be best off visiting and asking lots of questions. I brought along an interview sheet / checklist that helped a great deal. <a href="http://www.babycenter.com/0_preschool-director-teacher-interview-sheet_1450420.bc">Here's the one I used.</a> Print it out and have all your questions ready to go.

My son was in GSP for 2 1/2 years. I think it is one of the most expensive preschools in town, but also the one with the lowest student/teacher ratio, which justifies the tuition. Plus they always have volunteers from the church helping in the classrooms.

We had great experience with them. It is a nurturing environment. Most of the teachers are very loving and patient. I feel kids from GSP tend to be very gentle and well behaved.

I agree with you though that GSP does not teach kids a lot academically. When my son graduated from GSP, he wasn't able to write correctly all the upper and lower alphabets. It concerned me a little too. But after merely half a year in kindergarten, my son exceled in all school subjects. He even started to write journals of 20 sentences. So my concern was really unnecessary.

I have heard good things about Jenny Hart, but have no personal experience with them. In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either of them.

Thank you, SoCal 78.

I toured both schools. I like both of them. however, it is hard to make a selection which will impact my child's whole life, cause I think the first few years are very important to form children's personality, ability, social skills and other things. I am kind in between to choose one, sometimes I like GSP, sometimes l lean to JH.

JH seems more strict than GSP. ....

any other comments are appreciated.

[quote author="purpletulip" date=1241505970]My son was in GSP for 2 1/2 years. I think it is one of the most expensive preschools in town</blockquote>

Do you mean for full-day? Because if a parent does half-day, I think GS is one of the most affordable options. (For ex: some don't offer half-day and you'd have to pay a full-day rate.)

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1241506256][quote author="purpletulip" date=1241505970]My son was in GSP for 2 1/2 years. I think it is one of the most expensive preschools in town</blockquote>

Do you mean for full-day? Because if a parent does half-day, I think GS is one of the most affordable options. (For ex: some don't offer half-day and you'd have to pay a full-day rate.)</blockquote>

Yes, my son went there full time.

[quote author="purpletulip" date=1241505970]

Most of the teachers are very loving and patient. .</blockquote>

Do you know how old the teachers are there? Do they have high turn-over ratios? Thank you, Purpletulip.

[quote author="gld42" date=1241506550][quote author="purpletulip" date=1241505970]

Most of the teachers are very loving and patient. .</blockquote>

Do you know how old the teachers are there? Do they have high turn-over ratios? Thank you, Purpletulip.</blockquote>

We currently send my oldest to JH and we are quite satisfied with the school. Our youngest will start there in August. Staff turnover is low to non-existent, at least for two years we have been there, outside of the occassion maternity leave. Most teachers at JH are in their late 20's I would estimate. From what I understand, they pay their people a bit better than many/most other schools and that's one of the reasons for the stability with staff.

Everyone that we know that put their kids through GS was happy/satisfied as well... They are both fine preschools. I get the feeling that JH is a bit more homey, family-oriented, etc. than GS.

I went to good shepard and all I remember is digging up dinosour bones in the sandbox. Ahh those were simple days

I like JH too, less expensive than GSP. It is very good JH's teacher's turnover ratio is low. The problem I have with GSP is the reception desk of GSP is kind of, not warm, or they are kind of quiet? I am afraid that teachers are there too.

Ipo, can your youngest start in JH this August? I remember they only have two start months, July and September.

[quote author="gld42" date=1241872395]I like JH too, less expensive than GSP. It is very good JH's teacher's turnover ratio is low. The problem I have with GSP is the reception desk of GSP is kind of, not warm, or they are kind of quiet? I am afraid that teachers are there too.

Ipo, can your youngest start in JH this August? I remember they only have two start months, July and September.</blockquote>

They do allow August starts, but that could just be for siblings. My youngest is starting August 3rd. They slotted him for July originally but I asked the director to change and she did it without any fuss...

[quote author="gld42" date=1241872395]I like JH too, less expensive than GSP. It is very good JH's teacher's turnover ratio is low. The problem I have with GSP is the reception desk of GSP is kind of, not warm, or they are kind of quiet? I am afraid that teachers are there too. .</blockquote>

Can't agree more. I even wondered, did I piss her off and don't even know about it? Glad to know I was not the only one feeling so!

But most the teachers are very good. There were only two in the 3 1/2 years that I didn't care too mcuh about, and my son always had someone whom he had strong attachment with. In his last year at GS, he loved all the teachers.

There were some turnovers, but not often at all. I remember two teachers left because they were going back to school for early childhood education degree.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1241504923][quote author="gld42" date=1241500234]We are in a process of selecting preschool. One is Jenny Hart, the other one is Good Shepard. Good Shepard is $100 more every month. in term of Philosophy, I think GSP is pure play oriented, Jenny Hart is play and academic combination ?? ( i might be wrong.) Do anyone can give some comments on those two preschools?</blockquote>

After taking a tour and speaking to the teachers at G.S., my opinion is that it's a hybrid of developmental and academic philosophies. I would recommend visiting the school, meeting the teachers, and get their handouts. They have a lesson plan. For example the day I was there, they were teaching a letter. The children could chose to learn the letter by tracing it on a hand-out at the table, or gluing dried macaroni to the hand-out to form the letter, shaping it out of playdough, or drawing it with chalk on a blackboard, and other various ways so the child can choose how they want to learn. They keep the children on a schedule with various group activities (circle time) and individual activities. One of their sheets addresses what is learned at the school. It says "when planning each month's small group times, GS teachers are required to plan activities that address the following skill areas: fine motor, large motor, Bible activities, science, letter/number exposure, multicultural awareness, safety, sign language, manners, language, woodworking, and gardening."

I visited a few others that said they were self-directed. One I went to, seemed to have little to no cohesiveness so in my mind that is what I would consider pure play oriented. I liked that this school has large tables for kids to sit where they can focus on their work. I saw them engaging in the group activities. I was looking for an academic preschool and chose this one. The only thing I didn't really like is that I think they said they don't send homework home. But I'm just going to pick up some age-appropriate workbooks (you can even get these at the drug store) and I will supplement with those. They are fun to do and educational, also inexpensive. My son will start in a year. I did not tour Jenny Hart because I'm going to be using a half-day program so GS is more reasonable priced for that. I hope this helps. You will be best off visiting and asking lots of questions. I brought along an interview sheet / checklist that helped a great deal. <a href="http://www.babycenter.com/0_preschool-director-teacher-interview-sheet_1450420.bc">Here's the one I used.</a> Print it out and have all your questions ready to go.</blockquote>

Jenny Hart is a dream.

The turnover of staff is minimal. As they say, the fish rots from the head. This fish is fresh. The director is a fabulous woman who has hired great and caring people who are animated, interested,patient, incredibly observant, good communicators. Daily reports of what happened in a general and specific way prove they are paying attention. The thing is THEY CARE about the kids whose care is given over to them. Go and observe. I dare you to find a healthier and more loving and conducive to learning environment.

[quote author="gld42" date=1241506198]Thank you, SoCal 78.

I toured both schools. I like both of them. however, it is hard to make a selection which <strong>will impact my child's whole life</strong>, cause I think the first few years are very important to form children's personality, ability, social skills and other things. I am kind in between to choose one, sometimes I like GSP, sometimes l lean to JH.

JH seems more strict than GSP. ....

any other comments are appreciated.</blockquote>

I am sorry, but LOL.

Sometimes I don't know how people get out of bed in the morning for fear of screwing up their whole lives with one decision they make that day. Your choice of a preschool will truly only in extremely rare circumstances (I hesitated to say never) impact your child's whole life. He or she will experience good and bad things with every preschool they attend just like all of us will experience good and bad things everyday of our lives. My son went to a fairly non-academic preschool, he is two months into Kindergarten and can write all upper case and lower case letters nearly perfectly and is actually reading now which he was not doing in September (oh horrors, my kid wasn't reading before Kindergarten!). Relax, your children will be fine, you love them and want the best for them and that's what really matters. I just hope my little guy remembers having fun in preschool.

Are these preschools the kind of places you need to sign your kids up for several years in advance? I have a 20-month-old and I'm not even thinking about preschool yet. Should I be?

[quote author="traceimage" date=1257049706]Are these preschools the kind of places you need to sign your kids up for several years in advance? I have a 20-month-old and I'm not even thinking about preschool yet. Should I be?</blockquote>

Apparently at some schools in Irvine, you need to sign them up before you are even pregnant.

[quote author="tmare" date=1257411629][quote author="traceimage" date=1257049706]Are these preschools the kind of places you need to sign your kids up for several years in advance? I have a 20-month-old and I'm not even thinking about preschool yet. Should I be?</blockquote>

Apparently at some schools in Irvine, you need to sign them up before you are even pregnant.</blockquote>

Wow, seriously? That is nuts!

That's no joke, with some waiting lists being 1 to 2 years long and the earliest you can get in for some of them is 1 and walking... the math doesn't lie.

Back