Is Hawaii trending Republican?

Geotpf_IHB

[quote author="PANDA" date=1248416741][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248415625][quote author="PANDA" date=1248414500]... there very well may be more Asians than Caucasions living in Irvine by the year 2016.</blockquote>
I think this is already the case.</blockquote>

I wonder if the ethnic composition of Irvine will be like Hawaii... once my kids start entering high school.</blockquote>

To derail this thread even further, Hawaii is the only state in the union that, over the long term, is trending Republican, since Asians (especially Chinese/Japanese/Koreans), tend to vote Republican, and the asian population of Hawaii is growing. The rest of the country is trending Democratic, due mainly to an increasing Hispanic population.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1248435771][quote author="PANDA" date=1248416741][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248415625][quote author="PANDA" date=1248414500]... there very well may be more Asians than Caucasions living in Irvine by the year 2016.</blockquote>

I wonder if the ethnic composition of Irvine will be like Hawaii... once my kids start entering high school.</blockquote>

To derail this thread even further, Hawaii is the only state in the union that, over the long term, is trending Republican, since Asians (especially Chinese/Japanese/Koreans), tend to vote Republican, and the asian population of Hawaii is growing. The rest of the country is trending Democratic, due mainly to an increasing Hispanic population.</blockquote>

Do you have a reference to support this? HI has been strong blue for the last 2 decades.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1248435771][quote author="PANDA" date=1248416741][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248415625][quote author="PANDA" date=1248414500]... there very well may be more Asians than Caucasions living in Irvine by the year 2016.</blockquote>

To derail this thread even further, Hawaii is the only state in the union that, over the long term, is trending Republican, since Asians (especially Chinese/Japanese/Koreans), tend to vote Republican, and the asian population of Hawaii is growing. The rest of the country is trending Democratic, due mainly to an increasing Hispanic population.</blockquote>

I had an older refrerence, but I lost the link.

And when I'm talking long term, I mean REALLY long term (decades). But it's pretty obvious. Hispanics are making up a larger share of the voting population in most every state, and they tend to vote Democratic. Whites are making up a smaller share of the voting population in most every state, and they tend to vote Republican. The only state with minimal growth in Hispanics is Hawaii, where whites are losing not to hispanics, but to asians, and asians vote more Republican than whites do (or at least they used to-Googling around and most references I see state that asians are swinging heavily towards the Democrats recently).

Hawaii has, in fact, been trending Republican recently, although the 2008 election provides a lot of noise since Obama was born there (or maybe Kenya, heh), so the whole "home town boy" aspect made comparisons impossible. In 2004 Hawaii looked like a swing state for about a half a second-Cheney even flew there to campaign (which is a big deal, since it takes so long to fly there and back).

However, in the country overall, the hispanic effect is the most significant. It was clear to me as early as 2004 that the Republican party was going to be in trouble soon, for this reason alone.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1248475985][quote author="Geotpf" date=1248435771][quote author="PANDA" date=1248416741][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248415625][quote author="PANDA" date=1248414500]... there very well may be more Asians than Caucasions living in Irvine by the year 2016.</blockquote>

I had an older refrerence, but I lost the link.

And when I'm talking long term, I mean REALLY long term (decades). But it's pretty obvious. Hispanics are making up a larger share of the voting population in most every state, and they tend to vote Democratic. Whites are making up a smaller share of the voting population in most every state, and they tend to vote Republican. The only state with minimal growth in Hispanics is Hawaii, where whites are losing not to hispanics, but to asians, and asians vote more Republican than whites do (or at least they used to-Googling around and most references I see state that asians are swinging heavily towards the Democrats recently).

Hawaii has, in fact, been trending Republican recently, although the 2008 election provides a lot of noise since Obama was born there (or maybe Kenya, heh), so the whole "home town boy" aspect made comparisons impossible. In 2004 Hawaii looked like a swing state for about a half a second-Cheney even flew there to campaign (which is a big deal, since it takes so long to fly there and back).

However, in the country overall, the hispanic effect is the most significant. It was clear to me as early as 2004 that the Republican party was going to be in trouble soon, for this reason alone.</blockquote>

Percent of democratic vote over time

Year White Hispanic Asian

80 36% 56% --

84 35% 62% --

88 40% 69% --

92 39% 61% 31%

96 43% 72% 43%

00 42% 62% 54%

04 41% 56% 58%

08 43% 67% 62%

Source: NYT <a href="http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/exit-polls.html">exit poll</a> summary

Whites show a slight (barely any) upward tend on the blue votes. Hispanics have shown a decline in democratic support during the Bush years which was reversed during the last election. With the latest bout of xenophobic garbage from people like Buchanan, the trend of Hispanics going Blue is only solidifying.

Interestingly enough, Asians have shown a HUGE change towards favoring a Democratic candidate for the presidency. The whole Asians vote Republican seems to be an urban legend.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1248494375] The whole Asians vote Republican seems to be an urban legend.</blockquote>

The Vietnamse community overwhelmingly voted Republican becasue of Nixon, which I found odd because Nixon neither started our interaction in that conflict and failed to win it.

If somebody can explain why this is the case I'd love to know (Nixon is my fav. ex-president because he's interesting and not much else).

Back