Irvine Residents with COX Cable (need input)

Aqua Bliss_IHB

Hi,

Can someone who has COX cable let me know if they are able to view HD signals just using the Coax cable into the back of their TV? I am trying to get HD signal on a TV in the kitchen and I don't want to run a Cable Box there...

I am currently a COX subscriber and have 2 TV's with HD channels but for both of them I need a Cable Box.

I'm looking to buy a TV with a QAM tuner and just plug in the coaxial into it and see if through the regular Cox Cable feed I can get HD channels or if I need a Box to do this? My other 2 TV's don't have built in QAM tuner or I would try them first. I've been reading online but different people seem to have different experiences based on cable providers...

Thanks for the input!

from their <a href="http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orangecounty/tv/terms-and-conditions.cox#TV-item-item7">website</a>:

<blockquote>An HDTV set and HDTV receiver rental required for HD Service.</blockquote>

If you are able to get anything at all without a box, it will be the QAM signals for local broadcast television and everything else will be scrambled.

[quote author="Nude" date=1259054932]from their <a href="http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orangecounty/tv/terms-and-conditions.cox#TV-item-item7">website</a>:

<blockquote>An HDTV set and HDTV receiver rental required for HD Service.</blockquote>

If you are able to get anything at all without a box, it will be the QAM signals for local broadcast television and everything else will be scrambled.</blockquote>

By law they are required to transmit your local channels in HD. If your TV has a QAM-256 tuner in it you should be able to get them (I'm not with COX but have a similar setup).

Thanks Nude and Green...

Nude, do you know if I can get those QAM local channels (I guess 2 - 13) without an antennae but just using the coax input from Cox?

Yes by FCC mandate over the air channels must be sent in clear, unecrypted QAM over coax. If you want more channels without a cable box make sure that your TV has a built in cablecard slot.

[quote author="Aqua Bliss" date=1259061706]Thanks Nude and Green...

Nude, do you know if I can get those QAM local channels (I guess 2 - 13) without an antennae but just using the coax input from Cox?</blockquote>

As others have pointed out, just plugging in and letting the TV find the channels will get you what you need for QAM programming, usually more than just 2-13, as they have 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc..

If you want to know exactly which channels you'll have, try it with the HD TV you currently have, just plug the TV directly from the wall into the TV. If it has an HD tuner built in, the auto-program option should sniff the QAM channels out for you.

I'm having problems with Cox and HD Channel 4.

I used to be able to pick up 4.1 and 4.2 using QAM (plugged directly into the cable, no box) but as of about 4 months ago, 4.1 and 4.2 say 'No Signal'. Regular over the air works (I have a QAM LCD hooked up to a cheap $10 antenna... which gets all the HD channels pretty good). This was the case both in Quail Hill and now Woodbridge.

When I called Cox, they said that they can't guarantee HD channels unless you are using a box. And then when I said that's not correct, she claims that since my order only has 1 outlet for HD, only the TV on that outlet should be able to get QAM signals direct without a box. Now we all know that if one outlet in most houses can get HD, then the rest should too but she said they would have to charge me to do additional outlets. I had already been on the phone with her for half an hour and I just gave up at that point. This was also the story they gave me when I went to the Cox store in QH.

I run a similar configuration to what you are contemplating. Cox is my provider, no cable box, coax right in the back of the TV. IIRC I can get the HD feed for Channels 2, 4 (including the silly HD weather channel), 5, 9, and maybe 11. There may be one or two others but that's about it. No HD ESPN or any of the other channels in the "700's" that I get using the Cox HD box.

I would suggest looking around in this forum. OC/Cox/AVS.

<a href="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=273324">http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=273324</a>

Its a huge storehouse of information on OC and Cox.

Cox has been changing the system as of late. But you should be able to have your TV Tuner do a "Scan" and

see what you get. I am going to assume all the Premium 1080 HD Channels will be encrypted.

But you should still get all the standard network channels in 720P for free.

DVR = $ 11.95

HD Tier = $ 4.95

DVR/HD = $ 5.50

So you need to kick down another $ 22.40 a month over the Basic $ 34.95 for HD.

Back