I'll bet Nancy wishes she knew what was in the bill before it was passed now

winex

First a video reminder:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/KoE1R-xH5To&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Now this from the New York Times:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/us/politics/13health.html

n a new report, the Congressional Research Service says the law may have significant unintended consequences for the "personal health insurance coverage" of senators, representatives and their staff members.

For example, it says, the law may "remove members of Congress and Congressional staff" from their current coverage, in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, before any alternatives are available. . . .

The law apparently bars members of Congress from the federal employees health program, on the assumption that lawmakers should join many of their constituents in getting coverage through new state-based markets known as insurance exchanges.

But the research service found that this provision was written in an imprecise, confusing way, so it is not clear when it takes effect.

The new exchanges do not have to be in operation until 2014. But because of a possible "drafting error," the report says, Congress did not specify an effective date for the section excluding lawmakers from the existing program.

Under well-established canons of statutory interpretation, the report said, "a law takes effect on the date of its enactment" unless Congress clearly specifies otherwise. And Congress did not specify any other effective date for this part of the health care law. The law was enacted when President Obama signed it three weeks ago.

It's kind of amusing.  But now that more of our representatives have taken time to find out what is in the bill, I'm sure they'll pass legislation that insulates them from the impact of the monstrosity they created.

I wish the rest of us were that lucky.

winex said:
It's kind of amusing.  But now that more of our representatives have taken time to find out what is in the bill, I'm sure they'll pass legislation that insulates them from the impact of the monstrosity they created.

I wish the rest of us were that lucky.
You are probably right.  Funny how them trying to rush through the bill almost revoked their perks.  haha

That clip is great.  Notice how
1. you mis-quote it by saying she wishes SHE knew what was in it when she says "so that YOU can find out" because people against it were constantly spreading lies about it.
2. the clip it ends suddenly because what she says after the cut ruins the point of those who mis-quote it.

So are you saying that Nancy Pelosi knew that this bill would be eliminating the health care coverage that Congress had?  Are you certain enough of that view that you are willing to state that Congress won't apply "some sort of fix" to rescind that action?

I don't know what she knew or knows.  Neither do you.  Using misleading videos doesn't mean you know.

I am pretty sure Congress will pass further legislation to change many things in the new law.  Congress does this all the time with laws.  Big deal.

Since you didn't answer either question, I'll ask them again.

So are you saying that Nancy Pelosi knew that this bill would be eliminating the health care coverage that Congress had?  Are you certain enough of that view that you are willing to state that Congress won't apply "some sort of fix" to rescind that action?

Note that I am not asking what Nancy Pelosi thinks, and I am not asking what I think.  I am asking if YOU think Congress intentionally eliminated their own health care coverage.

Also, do you think that they will reverse course now that the "bill has passed and they know what is in it".  (Or at least they are starting to find out what is in it)

Since I'm in a generous mood, I'll give you yet another question to try to dodge - If Congress reverses course and restores their own health care benefits, do you think it is reflective of an original bill that was well thought out?

I didn't answer your questions because they aren't good questions.  You keep asking questions that assume the bill will eliminate the health care coverage the Congress had, but the article that YOU quote, says only that it might do so.  You also use loaded phrases like "reverse course" to mean that anything they change is some type of broken promise.  Oh, and I don't really care what happens with their health care.  Also, I already said that many things in many laws get changed after a bill becomes a law.  Sometimes it is due to someone finding something in the law that was missing or not intended.  Sometimes a law gets made and then later Congress changes membership and they then change the law.  I suspect that most people that voted for the health care bill actually want to change it in some way.  Over time, it WILL change.

You are just another person that doesn't like the law and wants to shape things however you can to prove to yourself that you are right about it.  You won't change my mind, and I won't change yours.  I just replied to you to call out the misrepresentation in your original post.  It is the same clip that has been used thousands of times before by people that don't like the new health care law.  It is sad how all you people keep using the same lie to make yourself feel good.  Why don't you post the rest of the clip?

winex said:
Since you didn't answer either question, I'll ask them again.

Note that I am not asking what Nancy Pelosi thinks, and I am not asking what I think.  I am asking if YOU think Congress intentionally eliminated their own health care coverage.

Also, do you think that they will reverse course now that the "bill has passed and they know what is in it".  (Or at least they are starting to find out what is in it)

Since I'm in a generous mood, I'll give you yet another question to try to dodge - If Congress reverses course and restores their own health care benefits, do you think it is reflective of an original bill that was well thought out?

Back