IHB Book Club: "Transition" by Meghana Joshi

SoCal78_IHB

This will be the thread to discuss the book while we are reading it. I know some of you are still waiting for your books to arrive. That is o.k. Read at your convenience and jump in when you are ready to participate.

Sorry, CZ & others. I have been slacking. I will pick up the book again soon. Tmare - have you started it? How is everyone doing with this book?

Ok, I have been avoiding this thread because I started (a few pages) the book and decided that I would take it with me in the car (since that's about the only uninterrupted time I get to read). My husband and I carpool together to work so I figured it would be a good place to get in at least 40 minutes of reading a day. I threw it in a bag I had packed for my kids when we were going to dinner at my in-laws and VOILA!, as with many things in my life, it disappeared. I have searched and searched, so it looks like it's going to be two sales for Meghana. I'll let you know when I find it or the new one arrives :coolmad:

LOL! I hope you find it Tmare:) Happens to me a lot of times too. I try to put it in the car and read while waiting to pick up kid, or put it next to the bed to read before I sleep. Sometimes they just get lost! And someday when I forget all about them, they surface.

Socal, let me know if you have any questions, or want to discuss something:)

I'm at the beginning of February, 2000. I've already gotten at least three good laughs and one cry out of the book. :) Very good stuff, Meghana.

There are a lot of Indian terms in the book. Some I knew from having an Indian best friend. I am strategically reading next to the computer so that I can cheat with Google and look up the others as I go along.

Socal, let me know the terms so that I can issue an explanation page for them.. I think I should start reading with you guys as well... will help me look at it from a fresh perspective :)

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1245819259]Socal, let me know the terms so that I can issue an explanation page for them.. I think I should start reading with you guys as well... will help me look at it from a fresh perspective :)</blockquote>

Some of the ones off the top of my head are:

chudidar (I googled this one and got the answer)

the references to the teenage fantasy married last names, Mrs. Tendulkar & Mrs. Dravid - I looked them up and found out they are famous cricket players.

Page 32's references to the food-centered books by Indian authors.

Same page - I wasn't sure what kind of "zardosi sari Kajol wore in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Ghum". (My spell-check went crazy on that one.) :cheese:

Oh-Oh! I made a few assumptions here. Thanks Socal- I will work on a cheat sheet to help people read the book better..

Zardosi sari- Sequined Indian Dress

Kabhi Khushi kabhi gham was a lavish Indian movie that went overboard with "happy family" theme..

chudidar- these are skinny leggings with long tunic tops.

Tendulkar- India's own Beckham..Dravid- another good looking cricketer that girls my age went ga-ga over.

Let me see Page 32 and see what all I put in there..

Thanks Socal:)

meghana

I'm halfway done. This is great pool-side reading!

My heart sank when the text message from an outside intruder came in. I won't say more so I don't spoil it for tmare.

CZ - what was the reference to the group of girls awaiting a flower, card, and "I love you" from the boys. Do the school kids in India celebrate Valentine's day like we do here?

I'm not part of the book club... but I just realize that CZ is the author? Sorry, I'm soo slow... this is great! We actually have a publish author in our mist! Socal, how did you come to figure that out?

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1246399228]I'm not part of the book club... but I just realize that CZ is the author? Sorry, I'm soo slow... this is great! We actually have a publish author in our mist! Socal, how did you come to figure that out?</blockquote>

Yep, CZ is the author of "Transition". Cool, huh? I was reading <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4934/#104576">this thread </a>one day and she said something about a blog that she has and she provided a link. I went to the blog and saw an excerpt from her book. She is a very good writer. I got hooked and wanted to read more so I bought the book and we made it a book club selection.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1246342562]I'm halfway done. This is great pool-side reading!

My heart sank when the text message from an outside intruder came in. I won't say more so I don't spoil it for tmare.

CZ - what was the reference to the group of girls awaiting a flower, card, and "I love you" from the boys. Do the school kids in India celebrate Valentine's day like we do here?</blockquote>

Socal, V-day was introduced in India somewhere in early 90s.. but unlike here, you don't share any cards with your friends. It's strictly a boy friend-girl friend thing.

Happy reading:)

Back