IAC Lease Negotiation

IAC is really digging their heels in. In the midst of negotiations they moved the goal post. The one-year term was no longer offered, as they are now looking at 13 mos. + terms going up to 2 years, I believe. I haven't signed anything yet but so far I was right in my last post about their bottom line rate being bogus. I got them down some more but not without a lot of struggle. The rental market seems strong but too strong for me. I want out. At this point, I'd have zero qualms paying the lease break fee in favor of buying (& buying anywhere but Irvine).

Is TIC raising the rents because of strong demand or they want to help its home building division amid the slow selling pace for 2011 new home collections?

I just got my lease renewal notice via email.

They want to raise my rent by $130 and are only offering 15 month lease. This is for Mirasol.

See you later TIC.

TIC would not budge off the rent increase.  I will say that I got a VERY low rate last spring and I was about $200/mo below what they are trying to rent my unit out for.  That being said, it still sucks having to deal with a 6% increase in rent.  I was able to get them down to 12-months from 16-months at the same increase amount.  I moved twice in the past 2.5 years and I want the third move to be the charm (to the home that I'll purchase sometime next year). 

Hi everyone!  Just found this place and noticed quite a few members from IHB days.  Heck, I had to go back and re-discover my username from there :)

We just re-upped our lease in May and they increased the rent by $25 ($1900 originally).  I figured it was a nominal increase just to appease IrvineCo HQ.   

Irvinecommuter said:
Hi everyone!  Just found this place and noticed quite a few members from IHB days.  Heck, I had to go back and re-discover my username from there :)
Welcome to TI... how did you find us?

It was the OC Register posting about the realtors' complaint about  IHB...I wanted to see the reactions to the news article and found you guys.

Glad to see everyone alive and well :)

Had to recently renew as well.  Our rental office stated that they only had a 16 months lease.  I checked back a week later and they came up with a 12 months lease but cautioned me that someone may take that lease so we better renew soon.  I think they've always had the 12 months lease (or less) option but tried to scare us with with a 16 mos only option first so we would gladly renew the lease at 12 months.

By the way, I always thought that if you buy in any of the TIC new communities that the lease break fee was waived.  Not so...  Lease break fee is only waived for Irvine Pacific homes (aka TIC) and maybe some other builder (they wouldn't clarify).  No lease break fee waiver for PS.

Hi, kayochan. How are you doing?

Same here with the scare tactic. Earlier this month, I was told a 15-month was the best they could do. Then they found "one" 13 month term available. I decided to drag my feet. I waited weeks and just called them today, a few days before my lease expires. I asked if they found any 12-months since the last time we talked. Sure, enough, they did. What a coincidence.  ;) I think it helps that it's the end of the month so they want to get their numbers in. It is interesting, though, that they no longer do anything shorter than a year and that does seem to be true.

Hi there SoCal!

"It is interesting, though, that they no longer do anything shorter than a year and that does seem to be true."

Well, I think they still do leases shorter than 11 months. 

They initially told my neighbor that they had a 12 months (or maybe it was 13 months) lease, then later told them that they only had a 16 months lease.  So when I was asking about our lease and told them that my neighbor and I wanted to buy in the same community/neighborhood and wanted our leases to end around the same time, the leasing agent said that there was an 11 months lease available (my neighbor's lease is one month longer than ours, so an 11 months lease renewal would get their lease to end on the same month as ours.)

By the way, it still bums me out that the apt. community will only provide lease break fee waiver for only certain builders (Irvine Pacific)...

SoCal78 said:
If anyone reading this has 5 minutes to spare and access to a telephone, would you contact me via PM? I would like to request some assistance with fact-checking. I will also offer the same for you, if you need it.

I live in Quail Hill for 2 years. My unit is 2BD/2BA. IAC is increasing my rent by $105. They increased $55 last year.
They are offering 1865/12months. Two similar units are available and listed 1930-1950.
I lost my job a couple of months ago.
I talked to the Manager, she is not helping.
Any advice? Any hope?

lakemarket said:
SoCal78 said:
If anyone reading this has 5 minutes to spare and access to a telephone, would you contact me via PM? I would like to request some assistance with fact-checking. I will also offer the same for you, if you need it.

I live in Quail Hill for 2 years. My unit is 2BD/2BA. IAC is increasing my rent by $105. They increased $55 last year.
They are offering 1865/12months. Two similar units are available and listed 1930-1950.
I lost my job a couple of months ago.
I talked to the Manager, she is not helping.
Any advice? Any hope?

Sorry to hear about your job.  Are you the only source of income?  If so, it will be hard moving to new place as you wont pass their income/credit checks and private landlords will be even more hesitant unless you prepay 6+ months of rent.  If you have other income source, then I say move out and hunker down a bit to save some $$$ while you look for a job.  This seems like a great deal 2b:http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/apa/2468848559.html

My wife and I move a ton as we want to try new neighborhoods and lifestyles all the time and are able to pack, move and unpack in 4 days.  It usually costs us about $500-1000 between boxes, labor, truck, gas, etc. 

That sucks.  It did seem too good of a deal.  In any case, if you are able to show income, then I still suggest saving money and moving.

Back