IAC Apartment Lease Renewals

Just a quick update for all.... I was blasted by the IAC's along Jamboree offering higher move in discount and lower monthly rate. The rates are even lower than early Sep!!

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254305632][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1254305497][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254303001] (I was a little disappointed).</blockquote> Something tells me your kind of enjoying this....playing poker with the Irvine Company.</blockquote>
I am and I was hoping/expecting more of a hard sell from them to keep me there. They didn't make me feel wanted....I mean, don't they know I have many other IAC choices???</blockquote>

USC

Try using the "Sales" approach rather than the "Accounting" approach. When my renewal came up I made contact with the leasing agent that sent the renewal and indicated that I thought the renewal rate was not at "Market" and since I was single and moving was not a big issue. That I would shop around and get back to him. I did this via E-mail. After a couple weeks I went to the office and gave him some numbers and mentioned I was really serious about going to Woodbury as it would shorten my drive to work. As we got right up to the renewal date I again wrote the leasing agent but this time copied the Manager in my e-mail that I was ready to make my deposit at Woodbury that upcoming weekend. After a couple more back and forths.

I got very close to the new rate I wanted. Everybody was happy. The Leasing Agent was involved in the process and the Manager was able to get involved and make the final approval without dealing with me directly. Try dealing through the chain of command.

They play this game every day. You will always get farther with the smooth approach than with the cut and dry letter saying. "I am taking my marbles and leaving."

[quote author="bltserv" date=1254339332][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254305632][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1254305497][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254303001] (I was a little disappointed).</blockquote> Something tells me your kind of enjoying this....playing poker with the Irvine Company.</blockquote>
I am and I was hoping/expecting more of a hard sell from them to keep me there. They didn't make me feel wanted....I mean, don't they know I have many other IAC choices???</blockquote>

USC

Try using the "Sales" approach rather than the "Accounting" approach. When my renewal came up I made contact with the leasing agent that sent the renewal and indicated that I thought the renewal rate was not at "Market" and since I was single and moving was not a big issue. That I would shop around and get back to him. I did this via E-mail. After a couple weeks I went to the office and gave him some numbers and mentioned I was really serious about going to Woodbury as it would shorten my drive to work. As we got right up to the renewal date I again wrote the leasing agent but this time copied the Manager in my e-mail that I was ready to make my deposit at Woodbury that upcoming weekend. After a couple more back and forths.

I got very close to the new rate I wanted. Everybody was happy. The Leasing Agent was involved in the process and the Manager was able to get involved and make the final approval without dealing with me directly. Try dealing through the chain of command.

They play this game every day. You will always get farther with the smooth approach than with the cut and dry letter saying. "I am taking my marbles and leaving."</blockquote>
Got a call from the manager this afternoon and just finished speaking to her. The best that they are able to do is give me $500 off the first month's rent along with dropping the rental rate due to the current "market" price which is about $75/mo less than what I pay now. I told her that I needed some time to weigh my other options as many other properties are offering $1,000 off the first month.

I am in the process of negotiating with my IAC. In the letter they offered the same rate for 12 months and a discount for 18 months. I only want 9 months and they were happy with this but they wont give me any discount from my current rate but will give me $250 discount on Novs rate. The manager stipulated that the rates are decided by head office. So, is the manager full of BS or does she have no control of the price?

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1255420547]I am in the process of negotiating with my IAC. In the letter they offered the same rate for 12 months and a discount for 18 months. I only want 9 months and they were happy with this but they wont give me any discount from my current rate but will give me $250 discount on Novs rate. The manager stipulated that the rates are decided by head office. So, is the manager full of BS or does she have no control of the price?</blockquote>
That's BS, she has some wiggle room. Giving you $250off is nothing. First offer my manager gave me was the same rent and $500off the first month.

USC,

So, have you signed a new lease, yet? Were you able to negotiate a lower lease-break fee? Also, if we're at the end of an IAC lease, are we considered "new", i.e. qualified for their "applies to new rentals only" rates?

Thanks!

[quote author="patientlywaiting" date=1255466714]USC,

So, have you signed a new lease, yet? Were you able to negotiate a lower lease-break fee? Also, if we're at the end of an IAC lease, are we considered "new", i.e. qualified for their "applies to new rentals only" rates?

Thanks!</blockquote>
No, I'm seriously considering renting a room from a homeowner in Woodbridge for $800/mo. I get my own room, bathroom, and spot in the garage. The manager hasn't called me back so I guess they aren't interested in wheeling and dealing. If I were to sign a new lease at Quail Meadows or move on to another IAC complex, I would try to reduce the lease-break fee down to 1-1.5 months worth of rent. They at the very least should offer you the same deal as they would for new tenants.

I will actually be sharing a home with an owner in a Woodbridge condo. My rent will be $800/mo down from about $1,450/mo. I have my own decent sized room, private bathroom in the bedroom, a parking spot in the garage, and full use of the condo.

Back in June/July, one of my coworkers renewed his Serrano 2bd/bath apartment lease for an additional-year, at $200 discount from his previous lease-rate.

When i checked Serrano's page for current 1bd/bath rates, they're pretty much exactly the same rate as when I signed my lease back in December. (I'm paying about $1415/month for a PlanB.)

How likely will I get a discount in December? Do they just have more vacancies for the 2bd/bath units, but not so many for 1bds?

Also, please elaborate on this "better singles scene" at the Village (Spectrum.) I thought this image of single working women living out in large numbers, was some kind of media myth perpetrated by TV studios to get us to watch their absolutely absurd primetime dramas (Lipstick Jungle, Ally Mcbeal, etc.)

Back