Housing Down. Rich Hit Most?

Anonymous_IHB

Housing Down. Rich Hit Most?

Here Are Four Reasons Luxury Homes Are No Shelter From the Storm

<A href="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123335694204035027.html">http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123335694204035027.html</A>

It's actually very sad when people you love bought into the argument that the high end was immune. I've now watched as a relative who bought in So. Pasadena in 2007 has finally realized that her place is just not worth what she paid and she has an adjustable mortgage to deal with. This was another great realtor argument that was used to suck in some. I guess it's easy to say "I told you so" but I would never say that, I actually just feel sad for her.

Here is the entire (brief) article from the wsj:

The Realtors and analysts who said the top of the housing market would be immune to the rest of the market's travails have now mostly given up. Most agree high-end homes have followed the rest of the market into the tank.

But what if the high end actually does worse than the rest of the market? Consider:

Jumbo Defaults. This past week, data showed that the delinquency rate for jumbo mortgages -- those too big to qualify for backing by the government -- at 6.9% of prime loans is more than three times as high as regular conforming loans. That suggests mortgages taken out by the affluent and wealthy, or at least the aspiring or former wealthy, are deteriorating at a faster rate.

Fewer Buyers. When seemingly everyone was getting richer, there was a rising number of buyers. With Richistan evacuating faster than Malibu in a mudslide, the number of potential buyers for $1 million-plus homes is on the decline. At least on the middle and lower end of the housing market, there is a crowd of first-time buyers and discount-seekers ready to take up the slack.

Worst Regions. The regions with the highest-valued properties -- New York, California, Nevada -- have reported the steepest price declines. That means homes once priced at the top of the national market may take the biggest spill -- and have the hardest time recovering.

The Indebted Rich. Many assumed the wealthy were living more within their means than the rest of the population. But they may have been just as leveraged as everyone else -- and certainly owe more in dollar terms. From 1995 to 2004, the top 1% of Americans by wealth more than doubled their mortgage and residential debt to $494 billion.

Thanks for the article. I think the high end appeared "fine" even as recent as July 2008 but went really bad after the stock market meltdown in 2008 that is continuing in 2009 with the S&P and Dow having the worst January in history, down around 8% YTD and down 50% from last year's peak. Rich people might not have depended as much as the middle class on MEW (mortgage equity withdrawal) but they probably had a greater dependence on SEW (stock equity withdrawal). Leverage is okay if stocks are doing fine but if stocks get cut in half, the rich have to deleverage too. The maintenance costs for high end homes (and lifestyles) are huge.

Back