Hitting the slopes.

irvinebullhousing

Planning to take my kids up to the slopes to play in the snow with this weekend storms. Should have an abundant of fresh powder from the upcoming storm this Saturday. For little kids to just play with the snow tube and sled where have you taken your kids that you would recommend.

Mt Baldy is the easiest to get to, closest.
They have a snow tube play area.
Kids had fun, snow sucked last year

We've made the slog up to the snow on Baldy via Highway 39/Azusa and was stopped by the rangers due to "capacity issues". Stuck for hours with the road brimming with like minded travelers. Could be a repeat given a 3 day weekend. Recommend getting a VRBO in Big Bear so you've got a spot to arrive at, and can stay if conditions get too snowy. More room up there as well in case there are big crowds. Best $300-$400 you'll ever spend IMHO

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

Baldy via 39? Looking at the map, that's one really long detour. It's only couple miles after you exit the 210 off mountain road, took me a little over an hour from Irvine.

Yeah, no fun when it gets crowded. Long lines for everything.  Slopes filled with people sitting around like obstacles

Sorry, meant any snow in Angeles National Forest, not Wrightwood. You can go up 39 towards Falling Springs, or up a parallel mountain road a few miles further down the 210 which takes you towards Mt. Baldy.

Never knew about Mt. Baldy.

How is it compared to Wrightwood? How is parking and is there an easily accessible open area for sledding for the kids?

They've been getting rain since around midnight.  Tonight it drops below freezing and warms up to just above freezing.

That spells slush, followed by freezing to create a ice sheet, followed by a top layer of slush.

We were planning on going up today but with the medium rain this morning and looking at their report, tubing with the kid in rain didn't seem like winter wonderland.

irvinehomeowner said:

How is it compared to Wrightwood? How is parking and is there an easily accessible open area for sledding for the kids?
It's def a much smaller area, I've always gone early enough to park in the lot (only one, don't remember how much it is).

There may be random snow area outside the lifts if it's a great snow season, otherwise you can pay for the lift up towards the top of the hill and play in the ski area. 
It's a separate price if that's all you want to do versus paying for the top of the hill lift and then the actual lifts to go to the runs.

You can go up the hill for free but it's like at least 30-45 minute hike...

It's a slope less traveled, I've never had to be turned away unlike mountain high and big bear.  I remember exiting mountain high's parking lot took me over an hour during high season.

Compressed-Village said:
Planning to take my kids up to the slopes to play in the snow with this weekend storms. Should have an abundant of fresh powder from the upcoming storm this Saturday. For little kids to just play with the snow tube and sled where have you taken your kids that you would recommend.

Mt. San Jacinto via the Palm Springs Aerial Tram.
https://www.facebook.com/PalmSpringsAerialTramway/?fref=ts

I like how they give video and photo updates on the weather conditions up there as shown on that Facebook link above. On a really busy day, the one thing that can suck is the wait at the Valley Station. I think the longest I've waited was like 2 hours right before Christmas one year. But other than that, I've always though it's a really cool & fun experience for everyone. Even when you're waiting, there are some trails you can walk and take pictures, do the shops, etc. As I'm sure you know by now, they updated the tram cars some years ago. They're not those small stationary cars any longer. Now they're larger and they rotate slowly for a better view. Once you get to the top of the mountain, you can take the kids for a bite to eat. They have a restaurant and a cafe at the top with some really nice views. Just be prepared for a steep walk from the sledding areas / Ranger Station back up to the Mountain Station.
https://www.pstramway.com/

I just came back from Big Bear yesterday.  Lots of people and lots of snow.  Parking along route 38 can be difficult (watch out for all the families roaming about) but very scenic in some spots.  If you drive all the way to Big Bear Lake, north shore area is mostly empty of people.  South Shore area has the Vons/Stater Bros/Starbucks to resupply and use the restroom.

AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:

It's def a much smaller area, I've always gone early enough to park in the lot (only one, don't remember how much it is).

There may be random snow area outside the lifts if it's a great snow season, otherwise you can pay for the lift up towards the top of the hill and play in the ski area. 
It's a separate price if that's all you want to do versus paying for the top of the hill lift and then the actual lifts to go to the runs.

It's a slope less traveled, I've never had to be turned away unlike mountain high and big bear.  I remember exiting mountain high's parking lot took me over an hour during high season.

Still interested in going here.

We don't need to go skiing just want to sled down some small hills.

Is there an area with easy parking on the way before the slopes? And do you need chains if we aren't going all the way to the ski resort?

I tried to Google for these answers but all I got was Trip Advisor stuff and thought it would be better to ask someone who actually went there recently.

irvinehomeowner said:
AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Is there an area with easy parking on the way before the slopes? And do you need chains if we aren't going all the way to the ski resort?

I tried to Google for these answers but all I got was Trip Advisor stuff and thought it would be better to ask someone who actually went there recently.

I've been thinking about doing something similar. It seems that last weekend there were 2-3h delays going up to Mt. Baldy (on Sunday).

If driving to BB, I strongly recommend taking the I-15 over Cajon Pass and through Highway 18/Lucerne Valley. It's less crowded and has far fewer switchbacks. The kids never got car sick using this route compared to driving through Redlands and up the hill from there.

This weekend is going to be tough given the 3 big storms heading south. If you book a cabin for Presidents Day weekend, Feb 18-20, my guess is there will still be snow.

The better website (IMHO) for BB info is Ben's Weather - www.bigbearweather.com

My .02c

peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I've been thinking about doing something similar. It seems that last weekend there were 2-3h delays going up to Mt. Baldy (on Sunday).
dayum, 2-3 hr delays!  must be all the recent snow...
i'm an early bird, always there right when it opens because i want to always park at the top lot, otherwise it's a hike up, never had to be turned away unlike the other resorts even getting in early, but when i'm done half day, i do see it get packed and people start to head up on mt baldy

iho, i've never had to use chains, but they do have those signs, it's a very straight road up until the last mile which are a rally car drivers dream, or mountain touge/drifters.
i've only gone to the resort, so i can only say that the parking does cost money, unless you go there super early before someone shows up, and then there's that lift up to the top (maybe $20 for adult, cheaper for kids?), and there are spots where you can go sledding and such, and the food court is there too
right before the parking lot, there are cabins and random spots that i think you can go sledding, but maybe call those places and ask if there are snow there?

ben's weather is the best for BB area for sure

Back