HELP!! Has anyone had a Sciatic problem? I need a fast cure!!

PeterUK_IHB

I'm looking desperately for medical advice here, and of course, a Housing Blog is always a good place to go for it...

Since Sunday I have had immense pain caused by what I think is a sciatic nerve...at first I thought I needed a Hip replacement and recover by Saturday, I need a quick fix because I have a 100 mile century in three days...wait, a 100 mile century? anyway.....

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what did you do?

A pre-ride half Bottle of scotch and a handfull of Motrin or Advil isn't an option because I need to ride in a straight line..and not riding isn't really an option either...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1222873793]I'm looking desperately for medical advice here, and of course, a Housing Blog is always a good place to go for it...

Since Sunday I have had immense pain caused by what I think is a sciatic nerve...at first I thought I needed a Hip replacement and recover by Saturday, I need a quick fix because I have a 100 mile century in three days...wait, a 100 mile century? anyway.....

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what did you do?

A pre-ride half Bottle of scotch and a handfull of Motrin or Advil isn't an option because I need to ride in a straight line..and not riding isn't really an option either...

Thanks in advance for any advice...</blockquote>

u doing the L.A. crest ? i'm signed up for it but had to back out last moment because of work.... bummer

flmgrip, no, I'm doing <a href="http://www.harvestrideforliteracy.org/Routes.html">the Harvest ride</a> up in Ventura/Santa Barbara, one of my fave places to ride...

[quote author="NoWowway" date=1222895684]I got mine fixed over ten years ago with Dr. Mitchell Cohen.</blockquote>

What did he do?

If you truly have sciatic pain... 80% of people will improve on their own with conservative treatment within 4-6 weeks. If your pain goes on longer than 6 weeks, you should consult your physician who should do an MRI of your lumbar spine. More than likely you have a a disc herniation or protrusion causing irritation to one of the lumbar nerve roots (most commonly L4 and L5).

Normal treatment protocol is:

NSAIDs (ibuprofen up to 800mg three times per day - this is prescription strength)

Rest

Physical therapy (which i dont really think works all that great)

epidural injections

If these dont work then its time to see a surgeon (I prefer a neurosurgeon over an orthopedic surgeon as they are gentler and more precise.... and dont lose as much blood).

Good luck!

Gasjockey M.D. - If you want to see me, my office is in Riverside.

Good luck!

Thanks gasjockey...

My Wife had the surgery a couple of years ago, she injured Her back in a fall...they removed some disc..and yes, she had a Neurosurgeon, he was really good..

But my sciatic (If that's what is was) seemed to have cleared up, I took motrin off the shelf and tried to lay off the Bike..

At first I thought I needed a Hip replacement, it was very painful, then the pain moved down my thigh, kinda like a charley horse, so then I thought I needed a thigh replacement, but seriously, I was worried...

My LBS (Local Bike Shop) Mechanic suffers with the same thing from time to time and he talked me out of riding a century the next day..thankfully, it was rained out half way through...

What is the best way to prevent this in the future?

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Lots of heat, moist heat is best, naproxen and a good massage if you can get one. The Thermacare heat sticky things work well if you have to keep going. I know a lot of people don't like chiropractors but they work well for me.

Back