Hardwood Flooring Depot

It actually looks pretty good. It feels soft so it's not like those wood looking tile.

Even the newer laminate looks and feels very wood-like. They got rid of that hollow click sound (drop keys on laminate and drop keys on wood and you know what I mean) by using cork backing.

The advantages of vinyl plank over laminate is it's softer, waterproof and less expensive. We did laminate once because of pets/kids but it got water-damaged by renters, which isn't supposed to happen to this vinyl stuff.

But, I think the boss wants to do engineered wood in the main spaces, and go with tile in the kitchen... transitions be darned.

WillJoy said:
Qwerty, I really like the way that they didn't use those ugly quarter round molding. Your floor shows true workmanship. I'll definitely look them up. Thanks for the picture.

Those quarter round molding are nasty as are those T-moldings.  I told my contractor to run the wood floor all the way up to the wall and to the tile and then put the baseboard on top of the wood floor. 

irvinehomeowner said:
It actually looks pretty good. It feels soft so it's not like those wood looking tile.

Even the newer laminate looks and feels very wood-like. They got rid of that hollow click sound (drop keys on laminate and drop keys on wood and you know what I mean) by using cork backing.

The advantages of vinyl plank over laminate is it's softer, waterproof and less expensive. We did laminate once because of pets/kids but it got water-damaged by renters, which isn't supposed to happen to this vinyl stuff.

But, I think the boss wants to do engineered wood in the main spaces, and go with tile in the kitchen... transitions be darned.

I read the details and its looks like this can install right over your existing tiles which is a major wins. There is no need to demo existing floor tiles. Now that got my attention.

Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I read the details and its looks like this can install right over your existing tiles which is a major wins. There is no need to demo existing floor tiles. Now that got my attention.

If you want to install those over existing tile, just make sure there's enough top clearance for dish washer and refrigerator sine the flooring will raise these appliance up another 3/4 of an incn (or what ever the thickness of the plank).

Vinyl is supposed to hold up better with dogs / young kids, than engineered wood, right?  Or at least this new type of vinyl. Seems like a pretty big win if you don't have to worry about water or scratches. What is the downside vs. engineered wood (other than the perception of "vinyl"). If it looks and feels the same, but is actually sturdier.

Our friends put in some nice vinyl in their new house a year ago (looks like the one I shared a link to above)...no idea if it was the core or not (they aren't the type who would know that stuff) but I know they have dogs and it seems to have held up fine (looking at it, without getting on my hands and knees to really check on it, I'd have never known it wasn't wood). 

My friend who used them wasn?t too happy because they did not move his fridge and dishwasher out to put hardwood underneath.  Are flooring companies supposed to do that or only install hardwood up to the kickstop?

lovingit said:
My friend who used them wasn?t too happy because they did not move his fridge and dishwasher out to put hardwood underneath.  Are flooring companies supposed to do that or only install hardwood up to the kickstop?

We used hardwood flooring depot. They put wood underneath the fridge. They did not for the dishwasher. However, the planks a couple of inches behind the cabinets so you can?t actually tell there is no wood below the dishwasher. 

Also with vinyl, just like wood you have to make sure water doesn?t get under the vinyl, otherwise you will still have the same issues as you would with wood/engineered wood.  Perhaps sitting water on vinyl is less of an issue than wood because it doesn?t absorb it but if the water gets under through some sort of sink leak you will still be SOL.

We have used this company and had a terrible experience.  We will NOT recommend.  Let?s say they had to come back many times to fix their work because it wasn?t done correctly the first time.  The crew and owner were totally disrespectful.  PM if you want details.

Strange, I had a great experience with this company and my neighbors have as well. They were the only company that understood what we wanted without using quarter rounds throughout the entire house. Highly recommend talking to Camron from Hardwood Flooring Depot.

Strange, I had a great experience with this company and my neighbors have as well. They were the only company that understood what we wanted without using quarter rounds throughout the entire house. Highly recommend talking to Camron from Hardwood Flooring Depot.
Every flooring company knows what a "quarter round" is. Whether they will install the way you want it is a different question.

Every flooring company knows what a "quarter round" is. Whether they will install the way you want it is a different question.
Quarter rounds are probably the most annoying looking thing that I see in houses from all price ranges. We're talking about 8-9m homes as well here. Why does anyone want something sticking out when instead you put in a baseboard instead so it looks cleaner?

I know contractors love them because it makes their life easier, but seeing these quarter rounds in multi-million dollar homes is an eyesore for me. I know it's a subjective take for sure.

Quarter rounds are probably the most annoying looking thing that I see in houses from all price ranges. We're talking about 8-9m homes as well here. Why does anyone want something sticking out when instead you put in a baseboard instead so it looks cleaner?

I know contractors love them because it makes their life easier, but seeing these quarter rounds in multi-million dollar homes is an eyesore for me. I know it's a subjective take for sure.

I 100% agree with you, the proper way to install flooring is all the wall up to the drywall and then the baseboard goes on top of the flooring. Any minor gaps can be taken care of with caulking.

The other thing I don't like is T-molding transitions between wood and tile. I made sure we had edge to edge between our wood and tiles... so much better.

Back